PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ASAP alternative

shadco
27 May 2009, 12:31
Would a vltor heavy duty qd swivel work in place of an ASAP endplate mounted in a dd qd endplate for a MS2 sling?

SKULL
27 May 2009, 20:49
Would a vltor heavy duty qd swivel work in place of an ASAP endplate mounted in a dd qd endplate for a MS2 sling?

i'm using a DD endplate with Vltor swivel.. works better than ASAP IMHO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/fsam002.jpg

Stickman
27 May 2009, 21:52
It would work fine.

scumhunter
30 May 2009, 14:55
Just make sure that the qd button isn’t pressed when your stock is collapsed all the way or at some point you’ll find your rifle falling off the sling and to the deck. I have had this happen twice now.
The first time I was in training and my rifle went muzzle first into gravel. Other then the tactical aspect, my rifle survived unscathed.
A couple nights ago I was deploying my rifle on a “shots fired” call and it happened again. This time I was on the move and my rifle went skidding across the street. My optic got all scratched up. Not cool!
I haven’t decided how I’m going to address the problem just yet but I have two options in mind. I may be able to Dremel a little off the stock so it can’t compress the qd button or just get rid of the qd and buy a new end plate with a loop.
If you’re not using your rifle in a tactical environment it may not be that big of a deal since you have the time to assure the qd is solid but I find myself checking and rechecking my qd frequently. Not a good distraction to have when one should be focused on the threat at hand.
Looking at Skull’s photo above, it appears his stock is extended a bit. IF his Magpul stock collapses all the way to the qd botton he could have the same issue. My set up is very similar to his but with a Vltor stock.

Gray
30 May 2009, 21:20
I run a DDM4 with a VTAC on an end plate QA swivel. My short arms keep the stock fully collapsed. I had to dremel a relief cut to prevent the stock from pressing the QA button. 5 minutes worth of work; it is now flawless.

Paulo_Santos
31 May 2009, 10:36
You guys may want to try the Noveski end plate since it is smaller and alloes the QD to sit further in and it will not interfere with the stock when it is fully collapsed. Just a thought.

TehLlama
9 June 2009, 10:05
I'm able to run the more basic VLTOR double-dog-eared setup on my wife's lightweight carbine. Any 1-Pt sling works with it, just took half an hour with 550 cord to set up.
Cheaper, ASAP capability without new fancy parts.
Unfortunately, it's semi-permanent, not the best looking, and it's less easy to detach the sling.

Ryo
9 June 2009, 16:12
Noveske's QD end plate works perfect for me.

gotm4
10 June 2009, 03:40
I'm working on a hybrid attachment piece for the Magpul MS2 sling. I've taken a GEAR Sector QD attachment piece and cut the stitching and removed the plastic buckle. I've installed an AKs d-ring and I need to find a local place to restitch the nylon. That way I'll be able to use a MS2 sling on any rifle equipped with a Noveske QD or Daniel Defense QD end plate.

shadco
10 June 2009, 03:57
I'm working on a hybrid attachment piece for the Magpul MS2 sling. I've taken a GEAR Sector QD attachment piece and cut the stitching and removed the plastic buckle. I've installed an AKs d-ring and I need to find a local place to restitch the nylon. That way I'll be able to use a MS2 sling on any rifle equipped with a Noveske QD or Daniel Defense QD end plate.

OK you had me at hybrid.

Keep us posted. You may need to score a sewing machine. ;)