PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good lube / cleaner

Titleist
27 May 2009, 20:24
Okay, now that you've stopped giggling from the title, what do you guys recommend for your lubrication / cleaning needs.

Now that I've started shooting a suppressed SBR I've noticed the CLP just aint cutting it. It seems all but gone after the first magazine. That and clean up has increased dramatically.

With that said what would you guys recommend for lubrication and cleaners. I'm taking my SBRs to a magpul class this summer, and good cleaning suppliers are sadly the one item that's kind fallen off the top of my list.

bigcoastie
28 May 2009, 03:49
I'm a huge, huge fan of SLiP 2000 725 cleaner, it's a pump spray so I feel like you are in control of where it's being applied without it being a pain in the ass plus it really works well. I ran over 500 rounds of .22 LR through my conversion kit which really runs damn dirty but that's a whole different post. The point is it took care of it. I also use SLiP 2000 lube, they have your standard CLP type of deal an "extreme" weapons lube and a grease. I'm all about the extreme lube.

sadmin
28 May 2009, 05:30
I use the same. SLiP works great and goes a long way.

cmoore
28 June 2009, 05:17
Another vote for Slip 2000...if you have to go cheap, Mobil 1 works just fine too....

rob_s
28 June 2009, 07:15
If you're going to use the Slip, you should use the EWL and not the original. I and another shooter down here have had the same issue with the original in that if left in a gun that sits it can gum things up. I have multiple ARs and if I don't shoot one for awhile and store it with the Slip I have to re-lube it before I shoot it. Not such a big deal for a range day, but not so great for the "go to" gun. I don't know if it's the heat, humidity, salt in the air, or what (if it's locational at all) but at least two of us have encountered the same problem.

I like their carbon cutter for soaking bolts and their general cleaner as well, but you need to get the lube in a spray bottle if you use the cleaner as it will really dry things out and it's easier to re-lube with the spray bottle.

My favorite all-around cleaning product of all time is still Shooter's Choice. Works great on carbon, copper fouling, etc. and it doesn't dry things out as badly as some other products.

Mr.Goodtimes
28 June 2009, 07:51
for lube, monile 1 15w50

for cleaning, MPRO 7

Titleist
28 June 2009, 10:21
Thans for that input, Rob. I ended up getting their carbon cleaner and EWL product. I'll be testing it out next month in our Magpul Dynamics class. I think that's a fitting test environment.

Narco
28 June 2009, 11:39
Slip products are the bomb. I use them in my 16" and 10.5, as well as my Glocks and Benelli's..

Boris
28 July 2009, 18:21
+1 on M-Pro7. No odor whatsoever w/ the Gun Cleaner and their CLP is good with only a slight odor (in case anyone other than me has a wife who complains about the smell of other solvents.) I can't speak for their Copper Solvent product.

-B

Beaux
28 July 2009, 18:48
New player on the block, it's a big hit in PA (local) and getting darned good reviews.

Weapons Shield (http://www.steelshieldtech.com/prodsheetpdf/pdfcombined/WeaponShield.pdf)

WileyCoyote
6 September 2009, 20:10
Does anyone like Mil Spec or Hoppe's?

Sak007
8 September 2009, 00:21
I use Mpro 7 & Kg
https://www.kgcoatings.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=25

TehLlama
8 September 2009, 14:51
The MilPro and EWL are both great. I'd say go with that.

For quicker stuff - just plain grease and some synthetic 20W50 will do nearly as well, and easier to find. Not pretty, but outperforms CLP by a lot.

Quib
10 October 2009, 18:34
I’m still a fan of Break-Free products. I use their thicker LP as a dedicated lube for the bolt and carrier, and use the bottled CLP as a general lube for everything else on the weapon.

I reserve the thinner aerosol CLP for cleaning only.

Paulo_Santos
10 October 2009, 20:40
For general use, most products are all great such as slip, Militec, Weapon Shield, etc. It is when you use your AR in extreme environments such as the desert and the extreme cold like Alaska, that some products are better than others. If you shoot your weapon a lot in between cleanongs, a good cleaner like the slip2000 cleaner is a good idea as it will cut your cleaning time in half and it will save some money as the cleaners are much cheaper than the lubes.

Ian/SWAT-K9
29 October 2009, 17:21
For lube I use High Heat Temp wheel bearing grease....$3 a pound! I use this on all my firearms.

Blankwaffe
1 November 2009, 01:34
I have several weapons lubricants I like for the AR.
The top three all time favorite lubricants are Weapon Shield CLP,Mil-comm TW25B and Mc2500.
That said I use the Weapon Shield CLP almost exclusively on everything nowadays.

For a weapons grease(mainly pistol slide rails,locking lugs and blocks etc.) I use Weapon Shield Grease or TW25B.

If any of those are not available I'll fall back on my rather large supply of Break Free CLP and LP.

All are great performers IMHO...

federalist22
1 November 2009, 05:00
After using Slip2000 EWL in a EAG course, I am sold on that stuff. Slip2000 EWL seemed to perform better for me than Otis, Hoppes, Break Free, RemLube, Remington DryLube, and whatever CLP the Army used. The bolt carriage just glides on this stuff and the viscosity of Slip2000 EWL looks like a clean/clear synthetic motor oil. I think this stuff should be standard issue for the military.

Go4broke
2 November 2009, 13:35
For lube i use Slip 2000 EWL

For cleaning i use Slip 2000 / 725 gun cleaner degreaser

mlosi762
12 November 2009, 07:29
I have several weapons lubricants I like for the AR.
The top three all time favorite lubricants are Weapon Shield CLP,Mil-comm TW25B and Mc2500.
That said I use the Weapon Shield CLP almost exclusively on everything nowadays.

For a weapons grease(mainly pistol slide rails,locking lugs and blocks etc.) I use Weapon Shield Grease or TW25B.

If any of those are not available I'll fall back on my rather large supply of Break Free CLP and LP.

All are great performers IMHO...

Agreed, Weapon Shield products rock. The people at WS were kind enough to send my squad a huge mixed box of all their stuff while we were in Ramadi. Both the grease and CLP was the shizzle on our M2's, M240's, and M249's as well as serious preformers on our M4 BCG's. For cleaning I favor good old WD40, hose down the internals and let her soak for a few.