PDA

View Full Version : Light Mounts

DepletedUranium
28 May 2009, 17:55
Hey guys I need a good light mount for my rifle and I was thinking about getting a daniel defense offset one, until i noticed the CAA 1 Inch Light Mount with Swivel, has anybody had any experience with this kind of light mount, and if so how was it. Also could anybody else recommend any other types of light mounts and flashlights to go with them please, thank you.

Stickman
28 May 2009, 18:57
I use the DD model, but I really like the Vltor one as well. If you are looking for one which is cheap, yet functional, the Viking Tactics model is used by a few LEO I know, and they are all happy with it.

shadco
28 May 2009, 19:16
Another DD fan here. You get lots of options depending on how you orient this piece.

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/112899629.jpg

5thprofession47
28 May 2009, 19:19
I too am looking to add a light mount. In fact I picked up a Surefire E2D as a dedicated lamp for my new rifle. I am leaning toward the LaRue Tactical Double Flashlight Mount. I want to add a second light eventually. My problem is determining the correct ring size for my lights. Anyone have any suggestions?

Larue Tactical LT-607
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1012066.JPG

John Hwang
28 May 2009, 19:27
The Gen2 VTAC Light mount is great.

Stickman
28 May 2009, 20:54
I would buy a good light and mount, and instead of paying $140 for a mount, I would use that cash for a light that is universal and could go on any railed carbine or pistol. Think along the lines of the Streamlight TLR-1, or one of the Surefires or Insights models.

If you are dialed into to the idea of having two lights stacked on top of each other and married, I think the LT is the one of the only ways to do it. Personally, I want the option of being able to remove a light and use as needed. As always, your needs and training are different than mine, and whats most important is that the mission gets done.

tac40
11 June 2009, 19:13
For around $20 buck for the VT mount is a good buy. Most of our guys use this on their M4.

Creeky73
11 June 2009, 19:41
I am leaning towards one of the LaRue solutions myself, probably with a G2 flashlight, just to keep it simple. 5thprofession, if you go to LaRue's website, and click on the single light mount that is NOT offset, it has a little chart on there that tells you what size rings to order with it for I believe just about everything from Surefire you could use with it. Hope that helps.

Mr.Goodtimes
12 June 2009, 08:07
i use a vltor offset mount with my surefire G2 and i love it, great setup!

shotdown
14 June 2009, 20:10
I too am looking to add a light mount. In fact I picked up a Surefire E2D as a dedicated lamp for my new rifle. I am leaning toward the LaRue Tactical Double Flashlight Mount. I want to add a second light eventually. My problem is determining the correct ring size for my lights. Anyone have any suggestions?

Larue Tactical LT-607
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1012066.JPG
You'll need the .083' rings for the E2D.

5thprofession47
15 June 2009, 16:54
Thanks guys! I contacted LaRue last week and got the ring size questions answered. The rifle is complete! I will post pics when I have some time off later in the week.

Policetacteam
15 June 2009, 17:35
I would have to agree with the above posts. I really like the Daniel Defense and the Vltor mounts. Simple and sturdy. The LaRue, although I have never used that mount, looks very solid. I'm curious why someone would want two separate lights mounted to their rifle instead of opting for a multi-mode light (high / low). You would save weight and simplify things. Again, I'm not sure what the purpose or mission is so I'm not trying to bang on anyone..just curious. I also see some pics of Surefire G2's mounted to M4's. Great light but I would be cautious about putting a light with an incandescent filament on your rifle. The incan filament is not typically made for hardcore rifle recoil unless you are using a Surefire weapon light which use a shock isolated bezel to compensate for the recoil. Word to the wise..stick with LED if possible! Longer run times, no filament to break, and cheaper! Hope this helps!!

Creeky73
16 June 2009, 15:10
someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe Surefire makes laser adapter pieces that screw into many of their existing flashlights in place of the LED housing. That could be one possible reason for having a double-light setup. However, these adapters are pretty expensive, on top of having to purchase one of the flashlights for them to fit on. I am not sure why someone wouldn't just purchase a separate laser, like a Lasermax or something else, unless someone just wants to have both their laser and flashlight on the same mount. I could be way off on how those things work though...

wortman
16 June 2009, 19:58
Just remeber one is none two is one! I think the main purpose of this mount is to allow for two lights incase one has an issue, damage, dead battery so on...

Policetacteam
16 June 2009, 21:32
Not to beat a dead horse here but I would think that it what extra lamps and batteries are for. I agree with the two is one..one is none philosophy but it just seems like additional weight. If LaRue is making them then there is a real world purpose for it, like a light / laser combo. I just checked Larue's site and did not see that perticular mount.

5thprofession47
19 June 2009, 19:17
I based my choice for the LaRue double mount after watching Magpul Dynamics "Art of the Tactical Carbine" DVD. Chris Costa advocated the double light set up in case one was damaged and went down for other reasons. He stated he simply had to 'move his thumb a bit' and he was on the second light. The other instructor on the DVD, Travis Haley also runs the LaRue double mount. He has a Surefire light on top and a Surefire IR light on the bottom.

There are pics on the Magpul Dynamics website of the setup Travis is running. I tried to post the image here but it was HUGE. Here is a link to their webiste if you wish to look at it:

http://www.magpuldynamics.com/training_images/general/38.jpg

Jerry R
19 June 2009, 19:32
I am not a professional user, but I really like the DD Offset mount with the SureFire G2 LED. Reasonably bright light, LED (supposedly) less likely to fail due to shock, extended use, etc. and the DD puts it right where I wanted it, with no barrel shadow.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/IMG_0929Railw-LightfromRAW.jpg