PDA

View Full Version : Righty Tighty

BoilerUp
21 December 2023, 09:16
When you forget the MD you are trying to remove is on a barrel with LH threads...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5KVBVdd/0/68bcf36c/XL/i-5KVBVdd-XL.jpg

TheRifleman
21 December 2023, 09:19
https://i.imgur.com/atZyMMA.jpg

Stone
21 December 2023, 09:32
Ugh.... Who the hell makes a barrel with LH threads???

BoilerUp
21 December 2023, 09:41
It's a Romanian WASR 10. I keep it to remind me how much I love ARs.

Stone
21 December 2023, 09:48
Hahahaha! Those crazy Romanians...

TheRifleman
21 December 2023, 10:21
It's a Romanian WASR 10. I keep it to remind me how much I love ARs.

I laughed way too much out loud while reading that, lol. Because that's a very true statement right there.

AK's are definitely not for me.

Jerry R
21 December 2023, 11:46
Hmm, leaned on it a bit, you did ...

BoilerUp
21 December 2023, 12:35
Hmm, leaned on it a bit, you did ...

I was surprised the SS wrench bent before the barrel slipped in the vice jaws.

I put the bent wrench in the vice jaw and was able to bend it back flat enough to remove the MD. It actually came off quite easily once I went the correct direction.

I need to re-install my Warcomp as the shims where obstructing the barrel such that I couldn't get the alignment rod in. However, I think I'm confirming what is already common knowledge: good luck getting a suppressor to align on an AK.

Uffdaphil
21 December 2023, 12:44
Reminds me of changing a tire on my 1957 Pontiac. The first time was no problem. The next flat was on the opposite side. Two guys on the lug wrench and jumping on it brought no joy. Come to find out the thread pattern was LH on one side only! I’d love to see the evidence justifying that idiocy.

Stone
21 December 2023, 13:30
"good luck getting a suppressor to align on an AK." Wasnt it the Romanians that came up with the saying "spray and pray" Bwhahahahaha... [:D]

gatordev
22 December 2023, 07:08
I recently needed to get a SFCT off and apparently whatever method I used to put it on disappeared from my toolbox and obviously the three prong wrench won't work. Nothing I had would fit the flats (as usual with the SF flash hiders) and I don't have the means to grind down a crows foot. I finally found a Brownell's copy of the USGI wrench, but it was out of stock. Turns out Griffin Armament also had a copy of one (shocking they had a copy of something, I know) for $10 with great reviews.

After a trip to JobBob.com, I had a new muzzle wrench that will work with everything. I figured I'd pass along the info.

Figuring out LH or RH threads will still be up to the user.

Joelski
22 December 2023, 07:49
Misfire!

Joelski
22 December 2023, 07:53
Just shoot it and it'll eventually fall off. It is Romanian, after all...

First they invent the metric system, then this left-hand thread BS. I tell you America is the final holdout for normalcy! [/standdown] [:D]

Gator: the two wrenches I got with my Alpha fit everything I have, but usually before I think of that, I bust out the cheapie Wheeler armorer's tool and it works just fine too.

BoilerUp
22 December 2023, 13:32
I recently needed to get a SFCT off and apparently whatever method I used to put it on disappeared from my toolbox and obviously the three prong wrench won't work. Nothing I had would fit the flats (as usual with the SF flash hiders) and I don't have the means to grind down a crows foot. I finally found a Brownell's copy of the USGI wrench, but it was out of stock. Turns out Griffin Armament also had a copy of one (shocking they had a copy of something, I know) for $10 with great reviews.

After a trip to JobBob.com, I had a new muzzle wrench that will work with everything. I figured I'd pass along the info.

Figuring out LH or RH threads will still be up to the user.

I have that GA wrench and didn't realize it had the 3/4" slot for the MDs. I chased down a MAC tools skinny 3/4 crowfoot several years ago to actually install a GA MD which also has a very narrow flat.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-D4k9q7W/0/11626ca0/L/i-D4k9q7W-L.jpg