PDA

View Full Version : G19 Ported makeover

FortTom
20 March 2024, 19:13
I recently wrote that I got a G19 Gen 3, like new, pistol. For some reason there are a whole lot of those around, barely used gen 3 pistols, and I can't explain that, I guess folks bought them and just didn't use them much. I dissasembled the gun and slide and everything was so new I only made a few changes, but some major ones.

I decided to leave all of the trigger components stock with the exception of a ZEV Pro-Con connector, because I want to use this as a self defence pistol and want to avoid any "liability" issues of installing a "deadly" trigger. It smoothed out the trigger pull and got rid of the "bump", while still probably maintaining about a 4.5 or so pull weight.

The big thing was the Radian Ramjet custom barrel and afterburner compensator kit from Radian, a drop in barrel and compensator that's almost too easy to believe to install. I also used a tungsten guide rod from Glock parts that replaces the 1oz. stock unit with a 4oz. tungsten unit, with a stock 18oz. spring to shoot all the regular stuff I shoot, 115gn to 147gn.

The last things I did was install a set of TRU GLO tritium sights and have a magpul magwell on the way.

I have no way to determine if the muzzle flip/ recoil is reduced by nearly 50 percent as Radian claims, but I think I can "feel" if it's close. There are many youtube reviews on this upgrade so someone may have some serious scientific way to measure differnces, in part II of this, after I take her to the range and shoot up a boatload of ammo. I can give you an honest "subjective" opinion on whether or not this was worth nearly 500 bucks worth of upgrades, for a self-defence pistol. More to come after some range time and hopefully some good pics.https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=3c42be4dff&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1794100505561936092&th=18e5ece77d5e30dc&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_z-QZRYDOJzSrY5Wt3X8aqOVLykEEyrECzcXSNrT_qWJQRx5Urrzr-_NVP_lmcQsjPUddTokluaEAXeMWeN44Y5bOFXs9bq4SY04WKVz 6QTYDRHZ6Bswcc_BE&disp=emb

FortTom
20 March 2024, 19:48
I recently wrote that I got a G19 Gen 3, like new, pistol. For some reason there are a whole lot of those around, barely used gen 3 pistols, and I can't explain that, I guess folks bought them and just didn't use them much. I dissasembled the gun and slide and everything was so new I only made a few changes, but some major ones.

I decided to leave all of the trigger components stock with the exception of a ZEV Pro-Con connector, because I want to use this as a self defence pistol and want to avoid any "liability" issues of installing a "deadly" trigger. It smoothed out the trigger pull and got rid of the "bump", while still probably maintaining about a 4.5 or so pull weight.

The big thing was the Radian Ramjet custom barrel and afterburner compensator kit from Radian, a drop in barrel and compensator that's almost too easy to believe to install. I also used a tungsten guide rod from Glock parts that replaces the 1oz. stock unit with a 4oz. tungsten unit, with a stock 18oz. spring to shoot all the regular stuff I shoot, 115gn to 147gn.

The last things I did was install a set of TRU GLO tritium sights and have a magpul magwell on the way.

I have no way to determine if the muzzle flip/ recoil is reduced by nearly 50 percent as Radian claims, but I think I can "feel" if it's close. There are many youtube reviews on this upgrade so someone may have some serious scientific way to measure differnces, in part II of this, after I take her to the range and shoot up a boatload of ammo. I can give you an honest "subjective" opinion on whether or not this was worth nearly 500 bucks worth of upgrades, for a self-defence pistol. More to come after some range time and hopefully some good pics.https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=3c42be4dff&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1794100505561936092&th=18e5ece77d5e30dc&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_z-QZRYDOJzSrY5Wt3X8aqOVLykEEyrECzcXSNrT_qWJQRx5Urrzr-_NVP_lmcQsjPUddTokluaEAXeMWeN44Y5bOFXs9bq4SY04WKVz 6QTYDRHZ6Bswcc_BE&disp=embhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1d-aUwZVO0kH2tLUrZu-Htic6jp5H9wPn/view

TheRifleman
21 March 2024, 10:30
Your link says access denied.

My Radian combo for the G45 is arriving tonight or later today. Tomorrow is range day, I'll add to your thread as well. I need to make sure the zero is still good or if I have to make adjustments for the newer barrel. I'm thinking of running Blazer 124's for this one.

FortTom
21 March 2024, 17:41
I was just wondering what it'd be like if Radian made on for a G43. Mine might be a lot more tame without giving up much in compactness.[crazy]
FT

TheRifleman
21 March 2024, 20:25
I was just wondering what it'd be like if Radian made on for a G43. Mine might be a lot more tame without giving up much in compactness.[crazy]
FT

There are other options.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/product/glock-4343x48-micro-jttc-and-barrel-combo/

https://roguegunworks.com/shop-online/g4343x-mayhem-carry-compensator

My UPS driver texted me and said that I was on the list for delivery tonight but he didn't see my package -_-

FortTom
21 March 2024, 20:58
There are other options.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/product/glock-4343x48-micro-jttc-and-barrel-combo/

https://roguegunworks.com/shop-online/g4343x-mayhem-carry-compensator

My UPS driver texted me and said that I was on the list for delivery tonight but he didn't see my package -_-

The shimmed system looks out of the question, but the rogueworks looks dooable. Just wonder if you have to remove the pin everytime you disassemble for cleaning. Looks like it'd wear out in short order, but wiwh they'd show the assy/disassy in the video. Might check with Radian and see if they have anything in the works. Thanks,
FT

BoilerUp
21 March 2024, 21:56
Your link says access denied.

My Radian combo for the G45 is arriving tonight or later today. Tomorrow is range day, I'll add to your thread as well. I need to make sure the zero is still good or if I have to make adjustments for the newer barrel. I'm thinking of running Blazer 124's for this one.

I like heavies. Would love to hear how it does with 147s.

FortTom
21 March 2024, 23:59
I like heavies. Would love to hear how it does with 147s.

I'll be shooting some while testing.....I like 'em too. The range is to busy on the weekends so it'll be monday before I go unless TRifleman shoots some sooner.
FT[:D]

TheRifleman
22 March 2024, 04:40
I'll be shooting some while testing.....I like 'em too. The range is to busy on the weekends so it'll be monday before I go unless TRifleman shoots some sooner.

I packed some of that too, unfortunately my box with the Radian wasn't on the truck, now says will be delivered today. I packed not only Blazer 124's and my own homebrewed 147 reloads, but I also piled in some Winchester M1152 115 hot 9mm NATO ammo.

I'm still going to go, if it shows up today I may convince myself to get back out again on Sunday or Monday even.

Joelski
22 March 2024, 15:54
I like 147 gr Federal HST out of my micro 9; it tames some of the flipiness. For more normal size guns it's Hornady 135 gr +P. But for kill your soul, DRT stuff, I am in love with 230 gr Ranger Flyin' Ashtrays.

FortTom
22 March 2024, 18:52
I asked the folks at Radian if they had any plans to make the barrel and comp for the G43 and G43X and they said yes. But no timeline for it yet. That will make for one kick ass slim compact if it works out. I still can't wait until Monday to see if the thing (barrel and comp) work out well in the G19. I expect that the 115gn. stuff won't make a huge difference, but the 147gn. stuff should prove if the barrel/comp/tungsten rod combo makes a difference or not. If it cuts muzzle flip by nearly 47% I should notice immediately. If it does, I can't wait until they come out with the one for the 43 and 43X. That should make for one Mo' Fo" of a concealed carry weapon. 147gn. out of "nearly" a pocket pistol. Should ward of "billy gang banger" in short order.;)

FT

FortTom
22 March 2024, 19:03
I like 147 gr Federal HST out of my micro 9; it tames some of the flipiness. For more normal size guns it's Hornady 135 gr +P. But for kill your soul, DRT stuff, I am in love with 230 gr Ranger Flyin' Ashtrays.

Jski, what "micro" to you have that shoots 147 gn. Fed HST that tames muzzle flip?
FT;)

Joelski
22 March 2024, 19:14
It's a Kimber Micro 9, and honestly nothing came tame the flip. The heavier boolits are rumored to reduce felt recoil but I don't get too upset about recoil on anything this side of a 460 Mag.

Got a couple of these rattling around the range bag somewhere.

https://www.greentophuntfish.com/media/catalog/product/cache/176bac780040db13c127a588963e960e/8/7/8744_large.jpg

FortTom
22 March 2024, 19:22
It's a Kimber Micro 9, and honestly nothing came tame the flip. The heavier boolits are rumored to reduce felt recoil but I don't get too upset about recoil on anything this side of a 460 Mag.

hahahahahahah! I know what you mean. Recoil has never bothered me, that is depending on the gun. However, for a SD weapon, the less muzzle flip, the faster I can get back on target. Recoil in these things are maginal compared to a hunting pistol. Speaking of which, I had to seriously talk myself out of a Ruger 454 Casull today. But getting back to SD, recoil and more importantly, muzzle flip concern me if I have to defend myself from 2 legged creatures, God help me not.;)

Stone
23 March 2024, 02:15
The shorter the barrel is the more muzzle flip your going to have, just physics. The wife didnt like my 135+p Tactical bonded Federals out of her 3.8" XDM and when we tried some 147g Underwood GD's it made a big difference for her. I just picked up a few cases of the PDX1 147g bonded winchesters and am looking forward to testing them out. Need a new carry round since Federal in all their wisdom decided to stop making the 135+p TB's... They still produce the hydroshok crap from 30 years ago but cancel what is arguably one of the best SD rounds ever produced.

@Joelski- Ever shoot the 230g +p Federal TB's? Dam! Its a beast!! I would hate to be on the receiving end of either of those rounds... [BD]

FortTom
23 March 2024, 03:35
The shorter the barrel is the more muzzle flip your going to have, just physics. ... [BD]

That's why I'm trying to get on Radians short list for one of the first batch for the 43/43X, when they get them in production.

TheRifleman
23 March 2024, 09:13
People have long been trying to crack that code in getting their handguns to be as flat as possible, from comps, adding weight to the front in guide rods or useful tools like flashlights for PID with, to various ammo weights in velocity increases or decreasing.

You really have to pick and chooses your battles for which is being chosen in conjunction with and why.

For my nightstand and secondary for SHTF, I want as flat as possible, firing very fast 9mm NATO speeds 124 grains or as close to at 1,200 FPS because that's what my G45 really likes to hit like a laser in accuracy. That means comp if the Radian works out (they misplaced my package and now saying arrival this Monday lol -_-), and a two cell TLR1-HL. I may even try a tungsten guide rod from GS, or the one from Radian for their barrel and comp.

For EDC, the 365X Macro gives me a more shootable gun and with more ammo than either the 43X or the 48. The Sig is also easier to carry that prints less than either Slimline Glocks at appendix with it's reduced angle grip plus with way more comfort at AIWB than the 48 but with more velocity and a longer guide rod than the 43X. If being away from home it can be modularly adapted by the addition of a light to use in another holster at strong side which is great for nightstand duties at hotels, guest rooms, etc.

Stone
23 March 2024, 14:59
That's why I'm trying to get on Radians short list for one of the first batch for the 43/43X, when they get them in production.

So you got confirmation from them that they will be making one for the 43X?

FortTom
23 March 2024, 17:19
So you got confirmation from them that they will be making one for the 43X?
Yes, it's in the works according to the guy I talked to. It's a matter of when they will start production that's unknown now. BTW I got a new 43X today. Traded in my 43. Wanted that extra ammo and grip size and it still fits my 43 holster and conceals easily. Should have went that route to begin with.

My question is what holster would a 43X fit with a Radian comp?[:D]

FT

Stone
23 March 2024, 20:35
These are real nice! Bought a set and i dont have the 43x yet...https://ndzperformance.com/ndz-glock-43x-48-se-finger-ext-mag-plate-black-9mm-glk48-mpf-se-blk/You just need a holster with an open bottom...

FortTom
23 March 2024, 21:43
These are real nice! Bought a set and i dont have the 43x yet...https://ndzperformance.com/ndz-glock-43x-48-se-finger-ext-mag-plate-black-9mm-glk48-mpf-se-blk/You just need a holster with an open bottom...

Thanks for the tip but I have small(ish) hands and the 43X grip fits me great! I did buy a Pyramid trigger, double diamond connector, two extra mags and a tungsten guide rod for the new 43X and a new set of TruGlo tritium sights today also so I'm tapped out for this week, anyway.
FT[crazy]

BoilerUp
23 March 2024, 22:03
Thanks for the tip but I have small(ish) hands and the 43X grip fits me great! I did buy a Pyramid trigger, double diamond connector, two extra mags and a tungsten guide rod for the new 43X and a new set of TruGlo tritium sights today also so I'm tapped out for this week, anyway.
FT[crazy]

Did you consider the Shield Arms metal magazines for extra capacity?

FortTom
24 March 2024, 01:14
No BU I didn't. I just bought 2 extra 43.X Glock mags. Didn't know about the others, to be honest. Maybe I'll check some out in a c
ouple of weeks. I've got time for all that other stuff I bought to get here and me to install it and check 'em out. Between the Radian project and this new 43X I'm getting a little fried.[:D]

Edit: I looked at those mags. Didn't know they were $50 bucks each, that you have to change mag releases and then you're OEM 10 round mags won't work. 10+1 is a comfortable number for me in a slimmed down, compact design so I'm pretty sure I won't be making that mod. Does look interesting though if a person were inclined to do it.

FT;)

Joelski
24 March 2024, 06:42
@Joelski- Ever shoot the 230g +p Federal TB's? Dam! Its a beast!! I would hate to be on the receiving end of either of those rounds... [BD]

No, but I'm searching it now! [:D]

I'm always looking for a box or three of carry ammo in any of my preferred calibers. I am really liking the promise of fluted point ammo, like the LeHigh stuff, but damn! $50 for 20 to evaluate? I wonder how many people buy that stuff and just stick it in the gun, hoping it'll work like it says it does?

Good luck on the Casull; usually when that seed gets planted, it takes root sooner or later!

TheRifleman
24 March 2024, 09:15
I'd do PSA Micro Dagger 15's before I would Shield 15 rounders, bunch of mixed results out there for Shield, meanwhile to PSA ones just need a break in period thagt can be shortened down by wiping everything on the inside down and use the mag a few times.

TheRifleman
24 March 2024, 09:23
Yes, it's in the works according to the guy I talked to. It's a matter of when they will start production that's unknown now. BTW I got a new 43X today. Traded in my 43. Wanted that extra ammo and grip size and it still fits my 43 holster and conceals easily. Should have went that route to begin with.

My question is what holster would a 43X fit with a Radian comp?[:D]

FT

If it's going to be a micro as well, then most likely a G48 will already. I mean if they made a 19's comp to fit in a 17's holster, and the 48 is the next size up to a 43 and there's no other out there longer than a 48, logic will dictate that they'll make it to fit a 48's holster then.

I wouldn't do an open holster where the slide or barrel pokes through. After a short bit doing drills for practice things are going to be heated down there after the re holster where flesh becomes bacon [BD]

TheRifleman
26 March 2024, 10:26
Okay, mine finally arrived last night. Easiest install of a comp ever. Don't need a vice, no loctite, or anything other than a torx set. Heck, with the one provided to use on a torque wrench, even using a multitool in the field to tighten or loosen should the need arise is stupid easy to do.

I'm wondering if I should get their guide rod assembly. I found one in stock but just spent some more money on a holster because I had nothing that the 45 now a 17 size, would fit that wasn't already being used.

Hopefully rounds down range this week.

FortTom
26 March 2024, 16:52
Okay, mine finally arrived last night. Easiest install of a comp ever. Don't need a vice, no loctite, or anything other than a torx set. Heck, with the one provided to use on a torque wrench, even using a multitool in the field to tighten or loosen should the need arise is stupid easy to do.

I'm wondering if I should get their guide rod assembly. I found one in stock but just some more money on a holster because I had nothing that the 45 now a 17 size, would fit that wasn't already being used.

Hopefully rounds down range this week. I use a Wheeler in. lbs. torque driver. Over torquing small screws can really screw stuff up. 15 in. lbs. is the rec'd torque spec. so as not to wear it out or over torque and f up the special screw. I just got a Raven holster for a G17 and it fit's like a glove for the G19/Radian comp. ;)

FT;)

EDIT: I bought a tungsten guide rod from Glockstore.com for stock weight. Also got a Pyramid Trigger assy., connector, and tungsten guiderod for my new 43X. Hopefully they'll release the Radian comp for it soon. I'll be ready if they do.:P

TheRifleman
26 March 2024, 17:52
I use a Wheeler in. lbs. torque driver. Over torquing small screws can really screw stuff up. 15 in. lbs. is the rec'd torque spec. so as not to wear it out or over torque and f up the special screw. I just got a Raven holster for a G17 and it fit's like a glove for the G19/Radian comp. ;)

FT;)

EDIT: I bought a tungsten guide rod from Glockstore.com for stock weight. Also got a Pyramid Trigger assy., connector, and tungsten guiderod for my new 43X. Hopefully they'll release the Radian comp for it soon. I'll be ready if they do.:P

Ya, I don't know who's going to have those in the field if a squib happens and someone happens to have a squib rod. Just saying, it's stupid easy in the field to do regardless and without needing a dedicated toolbox full of tools. Just the bare minimum.

FortTom
26 March 2024, 18:12
Ya, I don't know who's going to have those in the field if a squib happens and someone happens to have a squib rod. Just saying, it's stupid easy in the field to do regardless and without needing a dedicated toolbox full of tools. Just the bare minimum.[crazy]
If it's a carry gun, then bang, you're dead. If not, and you're just playing, then fix it when you get home. If you shoot squib prone ammo in your self defense weapon then you/re scary. If not, it doesn't take a tool box to knock a squib load out even with the comp. If you just don't care if you f' up an almost $400 mod, then that's up to you. Use your tire iron to torque that baby if it suits you.[crazy] edit: It doesn't take up much room in your range bag to carry something much bigger than your cell phone and about as fat as a small mag light.;)

TheRifleman
26 March 2024, 19:46
[crazy]
If it's a carry gun, then bang, you're dead. If not, and you're just playing, then fix it when you get home. If you shoot squib prone ammo in your self defense weapon then you/re scary. If not, it doesn't take a tool box to knock a squib load out even with the comp. If you just don't care if you f' up an almost $400 mod, then that's up to you. Use your tire iron to torque that baby if it suits you.[crazy] edit: It doesn't take up much room in your range bag to carry something much bigger than your cell phone and about as fat as a small mag light.;)[crazy] response being projected at me indeed. WTF, O?

You don't train with your guns? A carry gun that I don't go to training with is a gun that should never be carried. And bang, do what now? I'm not sorry to say this but that false narrative you're using isn't the reality here at all. Do you understand what a squib is? Do you know how to react to one? Do you know how to clear one? Do you even shoot your guns? You never bring anything with you to the field to work on your guns if a quick fix is needed and can be done? Or do you go to ranges that are public only and forbids you from doing so? Is that where this flabbergasted nonsensical drama is stemming from? it definitely sounds like it.

We have BLM lands. I also have a personal range as well with two bays. Sometimes I train with friends, we can still do training where issues can be easily resolved. Not even an issue, and if problems have happened. Like squibs. And speaking of which, if we haven't gotten a squib while using our carry guns then you're either lucky or haven't shot enough yet to find out. Also, if you're knocking a squib out with the slide still attached and the barrel still in the slide, then you obviously haven't dealt with how to properly remove a squib either and should never be giving advice on how to.

As for the rest of that rant, melodramatic much? What you're referring to at the end though, I have no idea what gibberish you are trying to say. I was simply saying that if a field removal was needed to be done, it can be done. That's a pro and not a con. I was giving a good review and not a bad one so what's your deal here??? Absolutely zero need to be triggered by what I had originally said, it was completely benign. You created a mountain from flat surface, c'mon now. We're all supposed to be friends here.

FortTom
26 March 2024, 19:57
Ha...ha...what? Chill out dude, I think you're reading waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy to much into my post. Geeeeeeezzzzeeee.....[crazy] And yeah, I've shot a round or two, here and there in the 50 plus years since my dad let me shoot handguns at 16 years of age. Oh., and in that 2 or 3 rounds, I've never had a squib, I know what they are, of course, and I've probably reloaded 10 or 20 thousand rounds myself, until I bought a Condo and don't reload anymore. Maybe a couple of fingers of tequila will help you mellow when you read posts? Love you. [adore]

TheRifleman
26 March 2024, 20:48
"Okay"

I've only dealt with them five times. One ka boom on a friends rifle using Tula. Another in an other friend's rifle using surplus factory ammo. One from a factory ammo in my own gun, and two from my own reloads back when I was new to reloading, but tens to fifty thousands plus rounds later not so much new anymore or making mistakes either...however I have never forgotten that crap can happen and plan accordingly. And I too have also been shooting for a very, very, very long time too. Does this mean that your superimposed shooting experiences trumps my own though? Does it really hm?

Maybe you should mellow out first without projecting it at me and not be upset at what I had originally posted? People unable to follow their own advice should never be giving any ;)

Try that calming down for a spell. It was a very harmless review that you turned into a very weird triggered response with. Just why you got upset at my stating that it's a stupid easy comp to field strip even in the field should the need arise, is beyond any explicable reproach.

Sip, sip at that tequila bud, you apparently need it more than I.

FortTom
26 March 2024, 20:52
Blah ...blah...blah...What ever dude.

Stone
27 March 2024, 01:31
And now for something completely different...

Stone
27 March 2024, 01:37
Here is a great training tip!

FortTom
27 March 2024, 08:55
Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah[:D]

Joelski
30 March 2024, 07:51
Welcome to ARFCOM West!No wonder nobody posts here. Stop swinging the purses and talk about guns or go get coited and take a nap. Everybody shoots. Christ, I got flagged by a fucking CALENDAR!

FortTom
30 March 2024, 13:43
Welcome to ARFCOM West!No wonder nobody posts here. Stop swinging the purses and talk about guns or go get coited and take a nap. Everybody shoots. Christ, I got flagged by a fucking CALENDAR!

What? the heck are you talking about, Ski?[wow]

FortTom
31 March 2024, 17:04
Here is a great training tip!
That is sooooooooooooo wrong Stone. Do you realise how much blood you'd get on your BDU's? Completely ruined! Do you know how much those suckers cost nowdays? Pull your head out man. Get woke dude. Apologise to the Sentry for invading his space and declare Easter a new gay holiday like sleepy Joe. Consider this a serious warning, Stone.
[bash]

[:D]

Stone
31 March 2024, 17:38
Soddy! Ok, I repent! I have an idea since my kid is issued the Crye G3's. At $450.00 a pair... Blood washes out though...

FortTom
31 March 2024, 18:59
Soddy! Ok, I repent! I have an idea since my kid is issued the Crye G3's. At $450.00 a pair... Blood washes out though...
Hoaaaa Shit!!! at that price they should supply fresh blood with them.....

[crazy]
FT

Joelski
1 April 2024, 07:38
Blood stains are cool. Is the NSN between toilet seats and hammers?

FortTom
1 April 2024, 17:13
Blood stains are cool. Is the NSN between toilet seats and hammers?

Before i retired, you had to be authorized to order them "pre-stained" with blood, otherwise you just got reqular old "cammy's". You could get them pre-"shit stained" , in case your area of operation had a high chance of "SHTF" scenario....without extra approval for the stains from the supply NCO.[wow][:D][:D]:P

FT;)