PDA

View Full Version : Ejection Direction (Correction?)

Titleist
31 May 2009, 15:33
Sorry had to make a title that's impossible to say 5 times fast.

Finally got one of my two SBRs out to the range today. It's a tack driver. But it's spittin' brass to the 2 o'clock position while my other rifles usually go for a nice grouping at 5 o'clock.

It's a Larue stealth upper and their BCG. Is this a sign the extractor is hinky, or I need a heavier buffer, etc?

It extracts, so it's doing it's job, usually people just tend to say that back and to the right is the norm.

Eric
31 May 2009, 21:29
If it functions fine, don't sweat it. I've found that a lot of carbines with extra extractor tension tend to toss brass forward. Often the brass is hitting the front edge of the deflector.

For a SBR, you should be running at least a H2 buffer instead of a standard carbine buffer.

Titleist
31 May 2009, 21:49
I'm running an H currently. But I'm thinking I'll step it up to an H2.

My 10.5 LMT runs like a champ on an H, but the Larue upper seems to be over-gassing.

Paulo_Santos
1 June 2009, 22:12
Ideally, you want your brass to eject at the 3-4 o'clock position. The H2 buffer should help. If that doesn't work, the Superior Shooting buffer Spring.

Titleist
1 June 2009, 22:22
Thanks, I'm ordering an H2 buffer from Bravo Company tomorrow, that should help. That said the gun functions fine, so I'll try the H2 but I'm not worried about it.

LIL-COMMANDO
2 June 2009, 10:38
I have a Colt 6933 w/H3 buffer and brass spits out at 2 oclock, my Colt 6920 w/H2 buffer spits out at 4 oclock. Both rifles have the Colt heavy extractor springs.

The important thing is that your rifle is ejecting/extracting correctly[:D]

Titleist
2 June 2009, 11:33
Yes, it's extracting like a champ, even under a rapid fire string. I may try an H2 buffer.

I think I was confusing how shooters talk about how when extraction goes from the 5 to the 2 position it's usually the extractor springs wearing down.

But it spits brass just fine.