PDA

View Full Version : Stark SE-1 Grip review

iamjonscranium
2 June 2009, 20:41
Hey. There are posts on this grip with pictures. I'm going to go over some of the issues that were discussed and concerns that were brought up. I initially was interested in the grip because it seemed like it had all the features I would put into a grip if I designed one.

Grip angle - The grip is at 15 degrees (standard grip is 30). I like the angle. It is designed for the modern stance with elbow pointed down. Decreases wrist fatigue, increases recoil control.

Thumb web thing - One of my favorite things about the grip is the support at the top of the hand. helps control recoil and gives your hand support so it doesn't feel 'lost' on the grip.

wide at the top - some grips are narrow at the top. this one has some beef there, so your thumb wont feel 'lost.' it has a place to rest.

Grip strips - some people expressed concern about there not being enough textured grip. the stark rep said it was because the hand moves around at the top of the grip, and this is true. while shooting, you may adjust your grip, and most of the movement is at the top. the lack of texturing prevents too much abrasion on your hand. I also have an ergo grip, and with wet hands, the ergo didn't grip any better with the rubberized coating.

wet grip - see last sentence above.

Grip size - feels comfortable. it seems a bit big when compared to other grips, but while shooting, you forget about it and realize that the size is comfortable and reduces hand fatigue. this of course will vary with people's hand size.

Trigger finger placement - the depth of the grip places the trigger closer to the tip of the finger. Not sure if this is good or bad technically speaking, but i definitely like it. It's easier to pop off fast shots on a semi auto.

durability - feels brittle but strong (i think about the difference between carbon and stainless steel when i feel the grip). it cost me 37 bucks so i don't want to bang it around to test it. ...ok i'll explain... carbon steel is stronger than stainless, but if you put enough force on it, it breaks. stainless will get damaged easier, but bends and is still usable (if it were a knife). The grip feels strong, but like it might be brittle and crack in half if you slammed it into something (terrorist's head?)

trigger guard - a lot of space. durable. i don't have mine bolted in as i have grip on my magwell and the screw won't fit, and it is sturdy.

Conclusion - it's so different from other grips (compared to standard grip and ergo grip) that it takes getting used to. once you get used to it though, it is very comfortable and natural. of all the grips i've tried, this is the one where i feel like my hand is secure and in a natural position. thumb webbing has support, thumb has something to rest on, and the grip is textured where you need it and smooth where you want flexibility and motion. all in all, i'd say it's a great design and worth trying out for someone who uses a modern, elbow down stance on their rifles. Oh, and if you do quick point and shoot, the grip angle might cause you to aim low until you get used to it.

Hopefully the price drops 5-10 bucks in a couple of months.

Looking forward to Stark's future products.

Stickman
3 June 2009, 23:07
Good info.

Lex Talionis
4 June 2009, 22:03
I got one also, I was one of the people with some of these concerns - yet I still ponied up to try it. and, I still have them. I am very concerned about grip on this grip. I just do not feel the textured area is enough. not only that, it is such hard plastic, is is hardly grippy. I have not been able to fully use it yet, but... I still have this concern. feels kind of slick to me.

also, I was coming here to post another tidbit I noticed recently. I see that the mold is like a 2 part mold as there is a slightly raised plastic edge all the way around the grip along it;s center line. it was raised enough to cause my hand to catch and notice it. would it cut you, no. is it a finer detail they need to address... yes. that edge needs to be cleaned down/off in the QC process or some step as it is noticeable.

BTW, anyone know the size of screw that is use to bolt to the trigger guard? I want to find a set screw for a cleaner install. know the size?

iamjonscranium
9 June 2009, 17:02
I'd wrap it up good in electrical tape then. That should work well. Or you could get tennis raquet wrapping, but that might go on a little thick.

8'Duece
18 August 2010, 18:50
I have the Stark grip on two of my lowers. I love them.

Great write up !!!