PDA

View Full Version : Ammo

bigcoastie
3 June 2009, 08:50
So like everyone else since the election I’ve been scrambling to get ammunition. Fortunately I made a few smart decisions buying in bulk FMJ early and have been able to keep frustration at a minimum.

The biggest thing that got me thinking was about the small chance that there is a general chaos, end of the world, zombie movie type situation did I make a good decision.

I’m a big fan of hollow point ammunition, and I have to say when you’re comparing 9mm vs .40 vs .45 which are the most popular choices in semi auto handguns the stopping power of them seems negligible when you are talking about HP. So the big question is do you think it’s better to get small quantities of HP ammo or massive quantities FMJ ammunition. For some reason I can’t bring myself to use quality HP ammunition other than function test at the range, so it would most likely sit in my closet for a “rainy day”

I currently have
1,000 rounds of FMJ .45 acp and 100 rounds of .45 acp Hollow
300 rounds of .40 cal FMJ and 150 rounds of HP .40 cal
300 rounds of 9mm FMJ and 50 rounds of 9mm HP
1500 rounds of FMJ 5.56 no Defense type of ammunition

What's everyone think about ratio of HP to FMJ ammunition or am I the only one thinking about this stuff?

shadco
3 June 2009, 11:12
So like everyone else since the election I’ve been scrambling to get ammunition. Fortunately I made a few smart decisions buying in bulk FMJ early and have been able to keep frustration at a minimum.

The biggest thing that got me thinking was about the small chance that there is a general chaos, end of the world, zombie movie type situation did I make a good decision.

I’m a big fan of hollow point ammunition, and I have to say when you’re comparing 9mm vs .40 vs .45 which are the most popular choices in semi auto handguns the stopping power of them seems negligible when you are talking about HP. So the big question is do you think it’s better to get small quantities of HP ammo or massive quantities FMJ ammunition. For some reason I can’t bring myself to use quality HP ammunition other than function test at the range, so it would most likely sit in my closet for a “rainy day”

I currently have
1,000 rounds of FMJ .45 acp and 100 rounds of .45 acp Hollow
300 rounds of .40 cal FMJ and 150 rounds of HP .40 cal
300 rounds of 9mm FMJ and 50 rounds of 9mm HP
1500 rounds of FMJ 5.56 no Defense type of ammunition

What's everyone think about ratio of HP to FMJ ammunition or am I the only one thinking about this stuff?

I have 2500 rds of Black Hills 45ACP 185 grn Hollow point in reserve
1500 rds Black Hills .223 75 grn Match HP in reserve
500 rds 5.56 M193 federal in reserve
800 rds 5.56 M855

I've gone through most of my 45ACP FMJ and I've been buying XM193 and FMJ .223 to shoot and I'll run a little of the good stuff through a new gun just to make sure it runs well.

Narco
3 June 2009, 13:47
2K of Hornady TAP practice
3K of XM193 on stripper poles
2K of WWB 9mm Ball
1K of Ranger 147 grain Duty Ammo

A mix of Black Talons, Golden Saber, etc etc
About 8K of .22 Federal Bulk pack for plinking.

Jerry R
3 June 2009, 17:53
First off, I am a long time reloader, an old guy that has done a lot of shooting, so I have a ton of brass in my calibers. I also like to store my components assembled. I have a comfortable supply in lead SWC, HPs, ball, etc.

I try to keep a minimum of 2K factory ball for the 5.56 and ALL my reloading for that caliber is with Hornady 55gr V-Max.

I have a Remington 700 BDL in 223 Remington and I have seen what those bullets do to Prairie Dogs, and other thin skinned varmints.

But honestly, at "practical" ranges, any center mass shot (rifle caliber) will slow a varmint down if not take them out of the situation completely. So I think your mix is not unreasonable.

Ball is great for practice, and in bulk, usually cheaper than "defense" ammunition. Also has worked very well for years since Geneva by armies around the world in non-practice situations.

"Buy what you need, when you can, for what you have."

Always remember, "There is no magic bullet" so practice, practice, practice. You WILL do under stress what you practice. For me, bullet type is secondary to bullet placement. But again, I'm an old fart and what do I know.