PDA

View Full Version : DD RIS II handguard

Broad Arrow
5 June 2009, 22:32
I emailed DD to inquire about their M4A1RIS II and MK18 RIS II handguards. Joe was very helpful in answering my questions. However, I also told him that I intend to install them with the Noveske 10.5 CQB and 14.5 Afghan. He cautioned me about the M4A1 RIS II and Afghan combo since the Afghan has a mid-lenght gas system. He advised that the M203 hangers has to be taken out. Can anyone share or give me an idea how to uninstall the hangers? Pictures would be great. Thanks :)

spamsammich
6 June 2009, 03:20
They're held in place with screws. if you go to Rainier's page you'll see a picture of the rail torn down and what the hangers look like. They're held in place by what look to be flat socket head cap screws so it'll take an allen wrench to remove them. If you're looking at the M4A1 RIS II, also consider the 12" Lite if you would like to save a bit of weight and some cash.

Stickman might have some pics of the 203 mounts.

Broad Arrow
6 June 2009, 18:22
Thanks for the tip. I went to Rainier and saw what you meant but it did not show clearly the type of screw. Anyway, I found out something else. The M4A1 RIS II is also available in black??? I thought its only in FDE. Joe of DD also said its only available in FDE. How about the MK18? Is there a black version also? Thanks.

Stickman
6 June 2009, 20:36
This picture may help a bit, its a very straight forward removal. As far as the MK18 rail, to the best of my knowledge it has never been anodized in black.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%2C%20Inc./DD-RIS-II-6-Stick.jpg

Broad Arrow
7 June 2009, 03:04
Thank you Sir. I can see the hex screw clearly now :)

spamsammich
7 June 2009, 04:07
I think only a small test run of the MK18s ever got anodized in black. I've only ever seen one, I think it was gotm4's or a rifle he worked on.

Stickman
7 June 2009, 09:06
I think only a small test run of the MK18s ever got anodized in black. I've only ever seen one, I think it was gotm4's or a rifle he worked on.

Thanks, I guess that leaves the GL/SSC as the FDE only, and hardest to find rail.

Broad Arrow
8 June 2009, 05:01
Thanks, I guess that leaves the GL/SSC as the FDE only, and hardest to find rail.

I saw the GL/SSC rail in your post in the other section of this forum. Is this available commercially? What is the difference between this and the M4A1, beside the length? How come this model is not posted in DD's website? I wish the MK18 RIS II rails will also be available in black

gotm4
8 June 2009, 05:57
I saw the GL/SSC rail in your post in the other section of this forum. Is this available commercially? What is the difference between this and the M4A1, beside the length? How come this model is not posted in DD's website? I wish the MK18 RIS II rails will also be available in black

If they get enough interest they told me they'll do them in black. Email them and express the interest.

Stickman
8 June 2009, 08:52
I saw the GL/SSC rail in your post in the other section of this forum. Is this available commercially? What is the difference between this and the M4A1, beside the length?

The GL/SSC stands for Grenade Launcher/ Sound Suppressor Compatible. The rail was designed by Daniel Defense at the request of SOCOM for use with a 12.5" barrel, with the need to be able to mount both the launcher and can. SOCOM took possession of the initial rails, and then decided to go with MK18 instead of the 12.5 variant. Its possible that the military will have a resurge of 12.5 interest at some point, until then, Daniel Defense is not doing the GL/SSC as a production item.

Broad Arrow
8 June 2009, 21:20
If they get enough interest they told me they'll do them in black. Email them and express the interest.

I hope you're not joking because I just emailed them :) Thanks.

Broad Arrow
8 June 2009, 21:21
The GL/SSC stands for Grenade Launcher/ Sound Suppressor Compatible. The rail was designed by Daniel Defense at the request of SOCOM for use with a 12.5" barrel, with the need to be able to mount both the launcher and can. SOCOM took possession of the initial rails, and then decided to go with MK18 instead of the 12.5 variant. Its possible that the military will have a resurge of 12.5 interest at some point, until then, Daniel Defense is not doing the GL/SSC as a production item.

Thanks for explaining. No wonder its not in DD's website :)