PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the DD middy barrels

spamsammich
9 June 2009, 10:31
Anyone got the skinny on these? What grade steel? Do they come dimpled? I see them at Rainier's site.

Stickman
9 June 2009, 18:48
My understanding is that they mirror the DD M4 barrels, and are 4150 steel, chrome lined, proof fired and MP inspected.

Spectre1
10 June 2009, 00:13
My understanding is that they mirror the DD M4 barrels, and are 4150 steel, chrome lined, proof fired and MP inspected.

Anyone have a range report pertaining to accuracy with these barrels?

NickDrak
10 June 2009, 11:50
Mine is on the way. Im sure it is a top-notch barrel. I am still considering exactly what type of build I will be using this barrel for. I am considering sending it to ADCO and having it taken down a bit infront of the gasblock to make it a lightweight build. I would like to get my hands on a DD M4 upper receiver, and either a Daniel Defense Omega-X rail (If they come out with a 10 or 11" version), or one of the new Troy TRX Extreme 11" rails.

Spectre1
10 June 2009, 23:21
Mine is on the way. Im sure it is a top-notch barrel. I am still considering exactly what type of build I will be using this barrel for. I am considering sending it to ADCO and having it taken down a bit infront of the gasblock to make it a lightweight build. I would like to get my hands on a DD M4 upper receiver, and either a Daniel Defense Omega-X rail (If they come out with a 10 or 11" version), or one of the new Troy TRX Extreme 11" rails.

Yeah, I have 2 on the way, should be here tomorrow or the next day. I am building mine w/JP/VTAC rifle length handguard/free float tubes. Should be sweet shooters, just hoping they will rival my Noveske's for tack-drivin' ability...[:D]

spamsammich
13 June 2009, 19:21
Would these happen to be hammer forged barrels? I understand they have their own hammer forge. How do they compare in quality to the Centurion barrels?

Stickman
13 June 2009, 21:39
I don't believe that DD has their hammerforge machine producing barrels at this time.

Spectre1
13 June 2009, 21:42
Would these happen to be hammer forged barrels? I understand they have their own hammer forge. How do they compare in quality to the Centurion barrels?

My understanding, also, is that these are hammer forged barrels. I have not seen the Centurion barrels first hand, but I can tell you the finish and machining on the DD bbls far exceeds the quality of Bushmaster barrels, is probably better than SDI, and is easily on par with NRW products. I have not been able to test fire them yet, but I hope they will shoot as well as NRW barrels...[bash]

spamsammich
13 June 2009, 22:50
Stickman, have you had a chance to try one of Monty's hammer forged barrels yet? I emailed him and got to check one out at Rainier when they had them in stock. For the price, it seems like a great deal. As much as I would like an N4 barrel, a 600 dollar barrel group is a tough pill to swallow. Granted, you don't get the same profile and perhaps a different chamber.

If these are DD's hammer forged barrels, that is a great price and nice profile. Bring on the range reports. Knowing Rainier, Nickdrak might get his barrel on Sunday somehow, they're that quick!

Stickman
13 June 2009, 23:07

I would be interested in getting your thoughts on the Troy Extreme rail if you go that route.

jp0319
16 June 2009, 00:18
As per my last e-mail with DD they are not producing Hammer Forged barrels yet, so these should be identical in spec with the standard DDM4 barrel except the middy gas port

Spectre1
16 June 2009, 20:03
As per my last e-mail with DD they are not producing Hammer Forged barrels yet, so these should be identical in spec with the standard DDM4 barrel except the middy gas port

Isn't the DDM4 a 16" M4 profile barrel? These are more like the SDI M5 mid-length 16" Gov't profile barrel.

According to an article in the Book of the AR '09, DD is using hammer forged barrels in their M4, I was guessing that these would be, too. Has anyone called Jay and asked?

Stickman
16 June 2009, 22:04
The hammer forged barrels are going to be an extra $200 last I heard, and they are not available yet.

In my opinion, Daniel Defense needs to get the ball rolling with their hammer forging equipment. There are a lot of companies suddenly using FN blanks, and the market is going to gobble them up pretty quick. If DD had come in a couple months ago, they could have owned almost the entire hammer forged barrel market for AR15 style barrels.

NickDrak
19 June 2009, 23:25
I would be interested in getting your thoughts on the Troy Extreme rail if you go that route.

Stick,

I am going a different route with my DD middy barrel, but I am waiting on a Troy TRX Extreme BattleRail for another "lightweight" build I currently have in the works. When I get it all built up I will post some pics, and my initial impressions, etc. I should have it all together by the end of next week....

NickDrak
4 July 2009, 01:01
FYI: The DD middy barrel weighs 1.73lbs stripped.

Stickman
4 July 2009, 08:47
Just as an update, Daniel Defense has their Hammer Forge up and running, the market is starting to see both DD CHF barrels, and the CHF barrels that they are OEM'ing for others.

NickDrak
4 July 2009, 09:57
Ya just haaaad to rub it in, didnt ya!!!