PDA

View Full Version : ACOG and NVGs

alt154shiver
12 June 2009, 17:25
Has anyone paired an ACOG with NVGs? If you have, how did it work out for you?

Pictures? Preferably of the either the AN/PVS-14's or 18's paired with the ACOG.

From what I've been seeing, it looks like I'd have to get a QD mount for the ACOG and mount it farther forward IOT to have the NVGS mounted in the appropriate location behind the optic. Opinions? Solutions?

ETA - meant to post this in the gear discussion area. :o

Failure2Stop
28 June 2009, 11:59
If using 14s you will need to mount the NOD behind the ACOG or you will have a drastic zero shift and a crappy image.
This usually means sliding the ACOG forward, which results in a zero shift as well.
The ACOG is not really NOD compatable simply due to mounting issues. You will generally be better served by a dedicated optic or IR laser.

alt154shiver
28 June 2009, 16:06
Thanks for the reply. I actually came to this conclusion while cleaning my AR the other night.

Stickman
28 June 2009, 17:09
Another option would be one of the KAC lines of night vision that goes in front of the optic.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/0O2P8849-A-1028-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/KNIGHT%20VISION%20Stick.gif

alt154shiver
29 June 2009, 10:32
Just to ensure I'm clear here, the UNS SR will function with a magnified optic like the ACOG?

Without producing a craptastic image?

...I can feel my checking account burning...

IPSC_GUY
2 May 2010, 12:26
Just to ensure I'm clear here, the UNS SR will function with a magnified optic like the ACOG?

Without producing a craptastic image?

...I can feel my checking account burning...

The UNS SR was designed with the ACOG in mind. It is the best option for making an ACOG work after the sun goes down. Trust me on this, I have tried everything to make an ACOG work with a PVS 14. I have worked on the idea of permanently mounting the ACOG forward and having an optical extender made that would give a decent eye relief and be used during the day. Then removed at night and replaced with a PVS 14. That turned into a nightmare as the expense was off the charts.

In addition I sent an ACOG back to Trijicon to have the tritium removed so that the bloom of the reticule would be reduced. That only sort of worked because under very dark conditions you loose the reticule all together. So I then made a small battery powered light that mounted externally to the ACOG that shone through the fiber optic to barely illuminate the reticule and not bloom the NVD. AFTER ALL this... the small objective of the ACOG still limits the amount of light coming into the NVD. As such your image quality is degraded, there by forcing the use of some sort of active IR illumination, thus taking your from passive night vision to active night vision.

Now a quick note on IR Illumination. I am a big fan of leaving the IR stuff OFF unless absolutely NEEDED. Even crappy gen 1 NVDs will see an IR illuminator or an IR laser a mile away. I know lots of people like and use these items but with the proliferation of NVDs, light discipline even in the IR spectrum is something to be aware of.

Alas the final and best (albeight the MOST expensive option) was the front mounted Clip on night sight. Up to this point I have been using an UNS (PVS-22) but it is overkill for the 4X ACOG and I have just purchased an UNS SR for it's smaller size and weight. I will report on that later. Being a Knights product I am convinced it will be a gorgeous tube just as the Omni Tech product is.

I love the ACOG but making it work at night with anything but a Clip On front mounted Night Sight, is asking for diminishing returns.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

edwin907
7 May 2010, 21:11
[QUOTE=IPSC_GUY;20420]

Alas the final and best (albeight the MOST expensive option) was the front mounted Clip on night sight. Up to this point I have been using an UNS (PVS-22) but it is overkill for the 4X ACOG and I have just purchased an UNS SR for it's smaller size and weight. I will report on that later. Being a Knights product I am convinced it will be a gorgeous tube just as the Omni Tech product is.

I love the ACOG but making it work at night with anything but a Clip On front mounted Night Sight, is asking for diminishing returns.
QUOTE]

I would love to hear about your results on using the SR.
And how useable is it with just a RDS, (Aimpoint M3, M4, T-1) ?

I also use the PVS-22 which works terrific with the ACOGs (3.5, 4, & 5.5X) but it is larger/heavier than it needs to be for this application.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/_2237132.jpg

Ripcode
8 May 2010, 05:35
http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/_2237132.jpg

Where do you get the cover (that zips over the fiber optic tube) for the ACOG?

tsconver
8 May 2010, 05:48
I think the cover is a scopefly

edwin907
11 May 2010, 18:45
I think the cover is a scopefly

It is the ScopeFly, works terrific!
They make them to fit 3.5X and 4X ACOGs, and can probably make them for any other model as well.
I need to order a couple more for my 31 series ACOGs.

If you spend a little time trimming the velcro adhesive that you apply to the ACOG body itself, you can get a pretty clean looking instalation.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/007.jpg

IPSC_GUY
25 May 2010, 11:31
[QUOTE=IPSC_GUY;20420]

I would love to hear about your results on using the SR.
And how useable is it with just a RDS, (Aimpoint M3, M4, T-1) ?

I also use the PVS-22 which works terrific with the ACOGs (3.5, 4, & 5.5X) but it is larger/heavier than it needs to be for this application.

Ok the UNS SR has arrived an coupled with the ACOG it RULES ! ! ! It is damn sharp and the light weight and small package make this more usable than the 22.

Hell, I stuck it (the SR) in front of my Leupold 2.5 to 8 and it works there. The image quality is not as good with the mag cranked up to 8 but 6 is totally nice and 8 is doable, not great like the 22 but doable.

The differnce in size and weight make it a game changer. The PVS 22 is going to be relegated up caliber to 6.8 and .308 from here on out behind the Night Force stuff.

Still want a 27 for the 3.5 to 15 range scopes...

----sigh-----

Too many projects.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA