PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Issues

OfcPowder
14 June 2009, 15:42
So I recently made the switch from an EOTech to an Aimpoint Comp ML3. Now, I don't want this discussion to turn into a battle of which is better or preferred.

The issue I'm having with my Aimpoint is even when it is turned up to the highest setting, I have difficulty seeing it in bright sunlight. We've had a lot of sun lately and I'm noticing the problem every time I deploy my rifle. The battery is new, or at least it's what came in the box. The optic is only a few months old.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? Would a new battery be the solution, or is it the nature of the optic. This is the 4moa version.

If I can't see my reticle, it's obviously a huge issue on deployment of my rifle. If no one else has had the same problem, it could be my battery or the optic. I like my Aimpoint, but if it's the nature of the optic, I may have to switch back to my EOTech because I didn't have that problem.

Thoughts?

jmart
14 June 2009, 19:10
Would a flash guard help? I think that's what they're called.

They mount on the front of the sight and they're purpose is to break up the illumination signature from the front of the sight. I'm thinking they block some incoming light, so the dot will be brighter relative to the blocked/filtered light. Just a thought, I'm not sure if it would work that way in reality.....

JTrusty
14 June 2009, 19:15
Thoughts?

I own several Aimpoints and have never had an issue with dot brightness. Most of the time I have to crank the illumination down, not up. I leave them on at all times. They are all still running on the original batteries ( the oldest going on year 5 now ).

As far as I know, the Aimpoint dot / circuitry is not regulated. Meaning, a low battery will display a dim dot and continue to dim as the battery weakens further.

My first suggestion would be to change the battery. Its only a few bucks and will rule out a battery issue.

If thats not the problem, contact Aimpoint directly. Their customer service is stellar.

[:)]

rob_s
14 June 2009, 19:19
I live in SE Florida (ya know, the sunshine state) and have never had that problem with an Aimpoint.

shotdown
14 June 2009, 19:55
I have an Aimpoint M2 and I have to turn it down in the NV desert. Call Aimpoint and have it checked out.

OfcPowder
14 June 2009, 21:50
I have an Aimpoint M2 and I have to turn it down in the NV desert. Call Aimpoint and have it checked out.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to do a new battery and rule that out. I'm glad to know it's just me...

[bash]

Stickman
14 June 2009, 22:38
Check your IM.

Paulo_Santos
15 June 2009, 10:16
Aimpoints are not as bright as the EOTEchs but on my M4s, I usually have it on about 2-3 clicks from the max and it works fine.

OfcPowder
15 June 2009, 11:52
New battery seems to have done it. The old one was measuring about 1.6v on the meter, and these are 3v batteries. Don't know if it was a bad battery to start with or what. I typically don't turn off the optic because it's on my duty carbine and I want it on when I deploy. Maybe I had it on too high and it drained it too quickly.

shotdown
15 June 2009, 21:30
Glad it was just the battery. I have an ACOG on my rifle now but I leave my Aimpoint on if I decide to use it on my rifle too.

Hojutsu
20 June 2009, 05:18
Not to be a cheerleader, but I have several different Aimpoints and all get way brighter then I would ever need in the Florida Sunshine.

Stickman
20 June 2009, 09:23
Not to be a cheerleader, but I have several different Aimpoints and all get way brighter then I would ever need in the Florida Sunshine.

The nice thing is that when you actually use the equipment, its not cheerleading, and I know you use your weapons. You comment about Florida sunshine is well taken, and appreciated.

I think he ended up with a weak battery out of the box, which isn't too shocking when you figure Aimpoint probably buys them by the pallet, and no doubt has some older ones floating around.

TOM1911
20 June 2009, 11:45
One of the first things I did when I got my M4s was to replace the stock battery with a lithium type.... You just don't know how long Aimpoint had those batteries before they packed and shipped them out;)

tac40
21 June 2009, 09:16
A very good point here, batteries storage and use on your red dot system should be checked every day. Our EO-Techs crapped out because of batteries-AA batteries were leaking and killed the red dot. I make it a point to do a weapon's check before every shift and make sure my spare batteries are replaced every few months-costco suppy or work provides me the battery.

I've had folks at work hit their NV switch on and realize, hey I can't see my red dot or they leave it on testing the 50,000 hr
life span-on the highest setting.

Using both Aimpoint and EO-Tech on high setting here in California and Washington, I haven't seen the problem you had but since you have replaced your battery-hope it worked.
I have seen folks have it on high in daylight and when we go inside, they realize they're blinding themselves. ooops. It's a training issue. Train and fight hard, relax later.