PDA

View Full Version : Which DD Rail for duty carbine

Lancelot
14 June 2009, 17:08
Okay this should be easy, but it isn't.

Assuming you have a midlength carbine that you carry everyday, which DD rail would you choose? No rails are good for a reason, but I really need the options rails provide. Do my two choices seem to be....

DD LIte 9
DD Omega 9

The Omega means less down time. No issues with the install. The Lite seems to be more robust.

I've seen pictures. I've held on to them. I just don't know how solid and or durable the Omega is.

Thoughts?

Cameron
14 June 2009, 17:15
I had an Omega and ditched it, put the Lite on all three of my ARs

Cameron

Stickman
14 June 2009, 17:21
I would go with the Lite rail for absolute durability over the Omega. Don't get me wrong, I have multiple LEO on my department who are using the Omega, but the Lite rail with its bolt up and one piece construction is a overall better beast IMHO.

Lancelot
15 June 2009, 05:42
Thanks guys, kinda what I was thinking too...

rob_s
15 June 2009, 05:50
IMHO the Omega should be used pretty much only when the user shouldn't (against rules/regs to remove the barrel), wouldn't (lacks the skills to remove the necessary parts), or couldn't (lacks the tools to remove the necessary parts) install a one-piece design.

Size comparisons of the DD rails

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DD-Dimensions.gif

tac40
15 June 2009, 08:23
Hey Rob, nice CAD designs.

rob_s
15 June 2009, 08:50
Hey Rob, nice CAD designs.

Not mine, a picture DD sent me or I grabbed off the web and I just added the ID measurements.

spamsammich
15 June 2009, 14:21
How forgiving is your department on equipment modifications?

Lancelot
15 June 2009, 16:38
In this case its a non-issue. Rifles on the street are all officer supplied. The only time they get heart burn is when you mess around with the fire control group. Originally I had to use standard handguards to get the gun to fit in the electric gun lock/rack. But the new cars came with no racks so the guns are just kept locked in the trunk. Not needing to deal with the rack issue means I can change the front end if I want or need to.

spamsammich
15 June 2009, 18:34
In that case, Lite rail all the way.