PDA

View Full Version : SPR Build Question

Jerry R
16 June 2009, 11:42
The Rainier SPR Ultra-Match Upper came and I have mounted the Leupold 6.5x20 AO Target scope in a LaRue QD.

I am evaluating BUIS and it is hard to tell from the pictures posted in BUIS threads (excellent though they are) how many slots are required for the rear BUIS. There seems to be plenty of room for the fold-down part to lay over the charging handle flats, but I can't tell what is the minimum number of slots for the base.

Eye relief for the scope is more important to me than BUIS, but I have mounted the scope as far forward as possible and still have the scope positioned for bench and prone cheek weld.

I have a little over .6" between the flat and the eyepiece, so either the YHM or Troy should fit under it since both are in the .4 to .5 range. I also have 3 slots available behind the LaRue (barely).

Any input gratefully accepted.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/IMG_0952RagansSPRWithScope.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/IMG_0959RearBUISSlots.jpg

m24shooter
16 June 2009, 12:55
You shouldn't have any problems with a Troy or ARMS BUIS. I haven't used the YHM so I don't know for sure but I would guess that it would be fine under your glass and you should have plenty of rail for it at the rear.

Jerry R
16 June 2009, 13:21
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Edit: I did find two top-down pictures on marked rails that show T2 - should have paid more attention before posting. Thanks Stickman for your "Guide" post on rear BUIS.

cz777
18 June 2009, 16:51
i would use troy ''h/k hood with A1 post [rough it in a drill with 200 grit paper ] paint it with yellow steel marker paint ....for the rear sight G,G andG ''MAD'' sight 0 to 6 ....i had some trouble with matach and yhm rear sights with some scopes .....

Echo4Tango
20 June 2009, 07:24
Thats a beautiful rifle and some gorgeous pics Jerry! Two thumbs up.

Im building a similar setup and decided to go for the FSC556 too, how do you like it? Hows it performing for you at high magnification?

Jerry R
20 June 2009, 10:50
Thats a beautiful rifle and some gorgeous pics Jerry! Two thumbs up.

Im building a similar setup and decided to go for the FSC556 too, how do you like it? Hows it performing for you at high magnification?

Thanks!

On the carbine, the FSC556 works very well in staying on target (only a 1.5x5 Leupold on it) but I have not had a chance to do the barrel break-in or sight-in on the SPR yet. I am hoping to be able to see the holes appear at 100yds set on 20x, but we'll see. I picked the FSC556 for the carbine because of reviews here, and knowing in advance which upper I wanted on the SPR - that's what it came with. In my dealings with Rainier, they seem to go first class on all their builds and that was also an excellent recommendation in my opinion.

Stickman
20 June 2009, 11:41
The FSC 556 isn't cheap, but it does work very well.