PDA

View Full Version : Spike's Tactical 16" Hammer Forged Melonite Upper Review is started

Stickman
17 June 2009, 21:41
A review to the Spike's Tactical 16" Hammer Forged Melonite upper has been started, this upper is slated for long term testing. Question, comments, or anything else can be posted here.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%204/0O2P6530-1024-Stick.jpg

NickDrak
17 June 2009, 22:07
That Melonite finish looks beautifully done.

puffy93
17 June 2009, 22:12
Those look very nice. Any idea on a price? I couldn't find them on their website.

Stickman
18 June 2009, 17:45
That Melonite finish looks beautifully done.

It has a satin finish to it, which stands apart from the typical parkerized barrels I'm used to.

Stickman
18 June 2009, 17:45
Those look very nice. Any idea on a price? I couldn't find them on their website.

I'm not sure, I know the basic models show on their site, I'm not sure if you need to email for prices, or if they are variable depending on what options (sights and rail lengths) you get.

sgt_gman2005
20 June 2009, 06:47
i got mine recently and im so happy with the quality of spikes products and excellent service [adore].

good thing about spikes tactical is their attention to detail (ie. logo engraving with matching color, mated with top-end companies such as Daniel Defense, etc). i also requsted to have spikes logo's in FDE and engraved logo to the bolt carrier.

just want to share couple pictrures of my spikes...i know this thread is about the upper but im also including pictures of the lower to show how it is matched with upper's finish.

i prefer the DD lite rail 9.0 so it gives you a shorter barrel look when paired with spikes's can. the DD low profile gas block has screws (lined-up to FSB taper pins) at the bottom so you feel confident that it wont get loose. the DD low profile gas block is hidden/flushed with the 9.0 DD lite rail. it could have been better if the DD low profile gas block had a "DD" logo.

check out the ST-T2 heavy buffer (included) and spikes's gun case also. for military personnel, dont forget to ask discount[:D].

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/xoxomiaxoxo2004/cDSC00240.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/xoxomiaxoxo2004/cDSC00251.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/xoxomiaxoxo2004/DSC00260.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/xoxomiaxoxo2004/cDSC00008-1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/xoxomiaxoxo2004/cIMG_1757.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/xoxomiaxoxo2004/cDSC00263.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/xoxomiaxoxo2004/cDSC00065.jpg

this is the "DD" logo i was talking about. this came from DD's website...compare the barrel's finish to the spike's melonite finish.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/xoxomiaxoxo2004/DD-9111-3.png

Stickman
20 June 2009, 09:18
Thats a great looking carbine, and I agree 100% that the attention to detail is outstanding with this upper.

Stickman
5 July 2009, 18:04
I had a chance to get out and do some shooting with the ST upper out on some .mil ranges. We fired roughly 500 rounds, I believe all of it was suppressed, and much of it was FA running CQC drills. The upper ran without any trouble, and while it was horribly dirty, it looks to be in good shape.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%204/0O2P9668-1024-Stick.jpg

1811tactikool
7 July 2009, 22:12
i got mine recently and im so happy with the quality of spikes products and excellent service [adore].

good thing about spikes tactical is their attention to detail (ie. logo engraving with matching color, mated with top-end companies such as Daniel Defense, etc). i also requsted to have spikes logo's in FDE and engraved logo to the bolt carrier.

just want to share couple pictrures of my spikes...i know this thread is about the upper but im also including pictures of the lower to show how it is matched with upper's finish.

i prefer the DD lite rail 9.0 so it gives you a shorter barrel look when paired with spikes's can. the DD low profile gas block has screws (lined-up to FSB taper pins) at the bottom so you feel confident that it wont get loose. the DD low profile gas block is hidden/flushed with the 9.0 DD lite rail. it could have been better if the DD low profile gas block had a "DD" logo.

check out the ST-T2 heavy buffer (included) and spikes's gun case also. for military personnel, dont forget to ask discount[:D].

K, your gun looks fantastic... I currently have one Spikes build and will be ordering two more. One of them will look quite similar to yours! [adore]

I am thinking about ordering this upper with the 10" Lite rail, but really want that CAR1 Fake can.

Do you think that can would have fit if your rail was 1 inch longer?

Thanks!

Mr.Goodtimes
20 July 2009, 03:42
stick you got any updates on the gun? I'm really interested in seeing how this upper performs!

Thomas M-4
13 August 2009, 19:12
Is the barrel melonite treatment in the bore also and if it is how is the accuracy?

Cameron
13 August 2009, 19:50
Yeah, tell us about the Melonite. Is it a Melonite Upper or a Melonite barrel?

Cameron

Stickman
15 August 2009, 09:01
Minimal updates, the upper runs like it is supposed to. I use a very thin coating of TW25B for lube, and have yet to have any malfunctions.

The Melonite treatment is done inside and out on the barrel (like Glocks barrels). I've seen no improvements or degradation in accuracy, but I haven't tried anything special in terms of ammo or high end glass.

Mr.Goodtimes
15 August 2009, 18:39
fwiw, my spikes upper has never had a malfunction, it has about 2500 rds though it now. its eats everything from brown bear to TAP. I use Mobil 1 15W 50 for lube.

badazzar15
28 August 2009, 22:01
fwiw, my spikes upper has never had a malfunction, it has about 2500 rds though it now. its eats everything from brown bear to TAP. I use Mobil 1 10W 50 for lube.

Thats what I like to hear! [:D]

M4CarbineX2
11 September 2009, 06:04
Have you done any more accuracy tests for the Spikes Tactical M4 carbine with melonite. Longer term tests with other loads, etc... I plan on getting one of these, and have read a few comments that the accuracy may not be as good as a chrome-lined barrel. Great pictures in all of you posts BTW. Thanks.

Stickman
11 September 2009, 10:09
Have you done any more accuracy tests for the Spikes Tactical M4 carbine with melonite. Longer term tests with other loads, etc... I plan on getting one of these, and have read a few comments that the accuracy may not be as good as a chrome-lined barrel. Great pictures in all of you posts BTW. Thanks.

No, I have not. The comments from people who say they are not accurate are from people who haven't used them, or tried different loads. There are also comments from a small core group of people who complain about anything that comes with Spikes Tactical written on it. In my own shooting, I have found it to be as dialed in as my other weapons, but I'll openly point out that I'm not shooting with a scope, nor am I hand loading or trying heavier ammo in an effort to max the accuracy.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully it gives you a little insight.

bigcoastie
11 September 2009, 16:54
M4 just to let you know my chf mel upper's accuracy is on par w/ my Noveske N4 I don't think it's supposed to be a match type of barrel it's a practical barrel with good accuracy and a great price. Also just like Stick I don't bench shoot w/ scopes I'm more of an aimpoint acog shooter that bases things off of 5 shot groups @ 100 yards so I can make sure that the ammo I'm using is going to be ok w/ the rifle.

More CHF Mel goodness [:D]

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii328/bigcoastie/CIMG0926-1.jpg

M4CarbineX2
12 September 2009, 07:32
That is really what I wanted to know. I will not shoot bench except for sighting in when I get everything together. At most I will have an Aimpoint or an Eotech on the rail. I am familiar with chrome lined barrels. Are the Melonite barrels easy to clean, and do they hold up well? I purchased a Spikes lower the other day to get started. So far Spikes have been very accommodating. I wont be shooting match loads just 62 gr and 55 gr cartridges. The major thing with me will be if it will hold up as well as the other finishes. The Great Price thing is okay to me. Spikes have everything I want on the upper/lower combination so I will go there for the upper as well.

Big, is that a Spikes upper in the photo? Looks good! Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

Stickman
12 September 2009, 09:58
Melonite is another name for Tennifer, which is how Glock barrels are treated. You should be hard pressed to find a barrel which will hold up longer or clean much easier.

bigcoastie
12 September 2009, 10:33
Yeah it's a Spike's lower and a Spike's CHF Mel upper w/ DD lite rail and troy buis.

marksmatter
14 October 2009, 18:56
After having the upper for a couple of years, I wonder if there is any update or additional opinions on this upper? I ask because I'm thinking about buying one. Thanks!

bigcoastie
15 October 2009, 05:55
Not sure if anyone has had one for a couple of years, from what I remember they have been out for maybe 5 months or so. I've had mine for 3 months and can say I'm very pleased with the accuracy and reliability of it. Spike's stuff is top notch.

marksmatter
15 October 2009, 07:37
You are right...I'm an idiot. I looked at Stick's "join date" and mistook that for the date of the post. I see now that this thread is much newer than that.

Thanks for the feedback on the upper, though.

Paulo_Santos
15 October 2009, 08:24
How much longer will a hammer forged barrel last over a chrome lined barrel?

I would like to know the difference between a chrome lined, hammer forged, and nitro carburized barrel.

Stickman
15 October 2009, 17:49
You are right...I'm an idiot. I looked at Stick's "join date" and mistook that for the date of the post. I see now that this thread is much newer than that.

Thanks for the feedback on the upper, though.

I'll have to update the thread, but its hard to do. The upper runs very well, there are no malfunctions to date with it after a couple thousand rounds. When writing a review there are lots of ways to pad the info, especially when there are complaints or when you are including extra information, but in this case, the upper flat out runs..... and its hard to spruce that up. :P

marksmatter
16 October 2009, 13:28
I'll have to update the thread, but its hard to do. The upper runs very well, there are no malfunctions to date with it after a couple thousand rounds. When writing a review there are lots of ways to pad the info, especially when there are complaints or when you are including extra information, but in this case, the upper flat out runs..... and its hard to spruce that up. :P

And that....is exactly what I was hoping to hear - no problems or issues. Also, I have no problem reading your reviews (padded or not) - your shots from that 1D more than make up for any very unlikely shortfalls. [:)]

Mark

Stickman
16 October 2009, 14:48
Mark,

I think those are all 40D shots IIRC, I tend to use it for anything that I don't think will be published in large print, or there might be a need to crop heavily later on down the road. The 1DS3 allows for massive crops while still retaining usable print/ publication detail.

marksmatter
16 October 2009, 18:13
A 1D, a 40D, and all the toys that are the source of my black rifle disease? My 20d, and now half-built AR pale by comparison.

For the sake of my wallet, I need to stop coming where you publish/post!

87GN
5 December 2009, 22:24

I agree. I have a T&E upper as well, nothing of consequence to report. I did have several FTFs when I was using a T&E Cammenag EasyMag. But I blame those on the mag...no problems with any of the half dozen other magazine types I've used with the upper (the usual suspects).

Narco
6 December 2009, 08:24
I have a new Midlength coming from Tom this week... Spikes craftsmanship and passion is becoming known... Speaking with Tom you can see his passion from putting out a superb product.. I will be running a Spike's rifle in the HVWM class by Magpul in a few weeks. They also produced my SBR upper's.. With the exception of the SOG brake that failed.. It has been top notch..

spamsammich
6 December 2009, 15:34
How much longer will a hammer forged barrel last over a chrome lined barrel?

I would like to know the difference between a chrome lined, hammer forged, and nitro carburized barrel.

hammer forging is a barrel forming/building technique. Chrome lining, and tennifer/melonite are hardening treatments applied to the metal. You can have a chrome lined hammer forged barrel, a melonited hammer forged barrel, a SS hammer forged barrel, etc .