PDA

View Full Version : Surefire MB556K

Mr.Goodtimes
18 June 2009, 08:16
As part of the re-building of my carbine, I recently acquired a Surefire MB556K muzzle brake.

When putting together parts for the re-build, I decided I was going to go with a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider for a couple of reasons, which you may or may not agree with.

I decided to go with a brake for its recoil reduction. AR15 style weapons have very little recoil to begin with, however, a good brake/comp can really dampen the recoil and muzzle climb even more, and I for one cant imagine a situation, especially, especially tactical, where less recoil wouldn't be appreciated. Less recoil equates to faster follow up shots.

The brake reduces recoil and muzzle flip extremely well. In a 16in rifle with carbine length gas system and H3 buffer, recoil was reduced to about that of a 22LR.

Concussion is not bad at all. Shooting the rifle, it actually feels less concussive than an A2 Birdcage. I'm not sure how it feels off to the sides, however. This brake was fired at a small indoor range, so I would think that if concussion was a problem anywhere, it would be here.

Flash wasn't bad either. The brake produces a small fireball out of the side ports. The fireball wasn't bad enough to obscure vision in a somewhat dim lit indoor range.

Installation was not difficult, but took some tinkering to figure out which combination of shims to use. It took me about 15min to get it timed correctly.

Overall I am very impressed with the Surefire MB556K and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good muzzle brake. Now I just cant wait to get me a surefire can to mount on it!

EDIT: went back to the range today for some more shooting, yesterdays tests were done using Remington UMC 55gr, there was very little flash interestingly.... today however using Federal Value Pack 55gr, about every 5th shot produced a decent sized flash. it wasn't enough to pose a problem at all, but certainly more noticeable.