PDA

View Full Version : Gear Sector GS-3P (Beta testing)

Stickman
18 June 2009, 10:40
I know there are a few other beta testers out there, we may as well get a thread up to give feedback and input.

I've been wearing the GS-3P on a heavy carbine for the past couple hours, and am just starting to work dry fire drills with it. I'll need more time to give additional input, but I will as I get more time with it. In general, I'm not a huge three point fan, but this one does feel good with this particular configuration.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AR15%20Carbines%20II/0O2P7099-1024-Stick-WEVO.jpg

5pins
18 June 2009, 13:26
You have it mounted on the wrong side.[:D]

JTrusty
18 June 2009, 16:28
Installation routine for our GS-3P is as follows:

Image 1: The install begins with identifying the components involved. Pictured below are the two ends
of the GS-3P as well as the two tri-glides required for installation.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/01.jpg

Image 2: Begin by routing the webbing end through your rear sling loop. There are a multitude of rear
mounting options ( receiver plate, fixed stock adapter, qd swivel etc... ) for this example I am using the
built in loop on my PRS stock.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/02.jpg

Image 3: Pull the entire length of webbing through your rear loop until it bottoms out on the box stitch.
This is important! as this acts as a stop when transitioning from single point to three point mode.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/03.jpg

Image 4: Take the first tri-glide and route the webbing through one side only

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/04.jpg

Image 5: Now route the webbing through the loop-loc on the opposite end of your GS-3P as pictured.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/05.jpg

Image 6: Route the same webbing through the second slot on the tri-glide as pictured.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/06.jpg

Image 7: Holding the loose webbing end, grab the logo assembly and zip it to the rear.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/08.jpg

Image 8: Next, take your second tri-glide and and route the loose end through both slots as pictured.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/09.jpg

Image 9: Insert the loose end into your front sling loop, double back and route it through the tri-glide
three times to secure your front connection point.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gs3p/install/10.jpg

If all goes well, you should have a foot or two of extra webbing ( depending on your weapon platform )
hanging off the front of the sling. You have two options. Either trim off the excess, or bundle and secure
it. If you plan to port the sling to a longer weapon platform, I would recommend not cutting the excess
at this point.

That about covers the install. We should have some video footage coming online shortly demonstrating usage. [:D]

Custom-X_Sponjah
18 June 2009, 20:18
Place Holder..

CXS

Paulo_Santos
21 June 2009, 06:59
I was one of the first guys to get mine to T&E. I'm using it on my LMT MRP Piston with a Bushmaster lower with the E-Mod Stock. I've tried nearly every sling out there and I've always gone back to the Vikings Padded V-Tac. The only drawback to the V-Tac is that it isn't as fast to transition to the weak side. When choosing a sling, I want my sling to do 3 things:
1. Quick Adjust.
2. Transition from Strong to Weakside.
3. Can also be used as a shooting aid.
Until now, the Vikings V-Tac is the only sling that I've tried that will do all 3.

The Gear Sector GS-3P is one of the most comfortable slings I ever used. The webbing that Jason uses on his slings is the most comfortable material I've ever tried. I attached mine with the front all the way forward and the rear attached all the way to the rear in the QD point. In the 3-point configuration, it is pretty much like a 2-point sling. It is very comfortable and I can even tighten it up enough that it helps stabilize the AR when shooting. For me, that is a big thing and it is the reason I always went back to the VTAC Sling. One of the biggest complaints about 3-point slings is that they can get caught on gear. I tried the GS-3P with my duty belt on and I even threw on a chest rig to see if I could get it caught on the gear somehow. It never happened. The adjustment on it was very smooth and fast. You do need a little bit of slack on the sling and it will adjust like it is supposed to. When in a 1-point mode, it is very similar to a regular 1-point sling and it is perfect for clearing rooms and other tactical scenerios. When back in the 3-point mode, I can tighten it down some and it helps to reduce the wobble. For some people it isn't a big thing for a combat type sling, but for me, it is a necessity because I'm a big fan of accuracy, especially in LE, where "every round has a lawyer attached to it."

I also tried attaching the rear near the castle nut and although it worked pretty well in 1-point mode, but in 3-point mode, I didn't like it as much as when attached all the way to the rear because when transitioning to the handgun, the buttstock tends to move forward. When the rear is attached all the way to the rear, the weapon stays close to your body, which is ideal.

I honestly don't have any negative things to say about this sling. I talked to Jason when I got it and told him about the Specter Gear 3-point slings, which I liked except that they were uncomfortable and a little slow to adjust. The GS-3P sling, which is totally different from the Specter Gear 3-point sling, fixed the negatives about the Specter Gear and the other 3-point slings. I really hope guys give these GS-3P slings a try.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjctMjAwOTA2MjctMTEyM.jpg

jmart
21 June 2009, 09:27
I was one of the first guys to get mine to T&E. I'm using it on my LMT MRP Piston with a Bushmaster lower with the E-Mod Stock. I've tried nearly every sling out there and I've always gone back to the Vikings Padded V-Tac. The only drawback to the V-Tac is that it isn't as fast to transition to the weak side. When choosing a sling, I want my sling to do 3 things:
1. Quick Adjust.
2. Transition from Strong to Weakside.
3. Can also be used as a shooting aid.
Until now, the Vikings V-Tac is the only sling that I've tried that will do all 3.

The Gear Sector GS-3P is one of the most comfortable slings I ever used. The webbing that Jason uses on his slings is the most comfortable material I've ever tried. I attached mine with the front all the way forward and the rear attached all the way to the rear in the QD point. In the 3-point configuration, it is pretty much like a 2-point sling. It is very comfortable and I can even tighten it up enough that it helps stabilize the AR when shooting. For me, that is a big thing and it is the reason I always went back to the VTAC Sling. One of the biggest complaints about 3-point slings is that they can get caught on gear. I tried the GS-3P with my duty belt on and I even threw on a chest rig to see if I could get it caught on the gear somehow. It never happened. The adjustment on it was very smooth and fast. You do need a little bit of slack on the sling and it will adjust like it is supposed to. When in a 1-point mode, it is very similar to a regular 1-point sling and it is perfect for clearing rooms and other tactical scenerios. When back in the 3-point mode, I can tighten it down some and it helps to reduce the wobble. For some people it isn't a big thing for a combat type sling, but for me, it is a necessity because I'm a big fan of accuracy, especially in LE, where "every round has a lawyer attached to it."

I also tried attaching the rear near the castle nut and although it worked pretty well in 1-point mode, but in 3-point mode, I didn't like it as much as when attached all the way to the rear because when transitioning to the handgun, the buttstock tends to move forward. When the rear is attached all the way to the rear, the weapon stays close to your body, which is ideal.

I honestly don't have any negative things to say about this sling. I talked to Jason when I got it and told him about the Specter Gear 3-point slings, which I liked except that they were uncomfortable and a little slow to adjust. The GS-3P sling, which is totally different from the Specter Gear 3-point sling, fixed the negatives about the Specter Gear and the other 3-point slings. I really hope guys give these GS-3P slings a try.

Several years ago all you really had were the 1-points and the 3-points, or plain, simple carry straps. Then various 2-point slings came on the scene and 3-points kind of died off. The prevailing thought was, the adjustable 2-points were the best of both worlds, and they pretty much addressed all of the faults of the 3-points.

What do think are the benefits of this 3-point design over the current crop of adjustable 2-points? Why should anyone consider this (or any 3-point) given the selection of adjustable 2-points?

Paulo_Santos
21 June 2009, 10:18
Several years ago all you really had were the 1-points and the 3-points, or plain, simple carry straps. Then various 2-point slings came on the scene and 3-points kind of died off. The prevailing thought was, the adjustable 2-points were the best of both worlds, and they pretty much addressed all of the faults of the 3-points.

What do think are the benefits of this 3-point design over the current crop of adjustable 2-points? Why should anyone consider this (or any 3-point) given the selection of adjustable 2-points?

There are some guys that say that the adjustable 2-point sling does everything a 3-point sling does, without any of the negatives. Well, I say the GS-3P does everything that an adjustable 2-point does, but it does it faster, mainly the speed in which it goes from 3-point to 1-point. To me, it makes for a great tactical sling and a great all-purpose sling.

m24shooter
21 June 2009, 10:45
I would agree with Paulo. It basically adds to the adjustability of the adjustable two point with more retension/slack and also provides the flexibility of a single point with the same motion and no buckles to manipulate.

FLEXIBILITY:
The GS-3P single point mode on the full-sized shotgun allows shooting from the support shoulder or shooting from prone, or some other position which is made problematic by using a three point or adjustable two point.

The standard three point can make those problematic without making some significant adjustments on the fly which then have to be undone to return the sling to its usualy positioning. Relaxing a tension buckle, unbuckling a SRB, whatever and vice versa.

An adjustable two point can be problematic in that there may not be enough web to allow support shoulder use or prone without having to duck out of the sling. With some adjustable two points there simply is not enough web to go from one end of the shotgun/rifle to the other and still allow adjustment without the web either hanging so slack that it falls of the shotgun, doesn't have much retention/security, or having to deal with a very long adjustment tail. Even with a carbine it can be awkward to pull the stock around/over the rear sling strap and put the stock in the support shoulder pocket.

With the GS-3P you simply zip the sling to the single point mode, flip the stock over and shoot. When you need to go back, you zip the strip back to the three point position.

RETENTION/SECURITY:
An adjustable 2 point offers a lot more retention than a single point, but a 3 point provides more. That may not be of any value to some, and the 2 point may provide all the extra security/retention that is needed. The three point offers extra retention and some additional positionability over either the single point or 2 point. I can tell you that there are people that want more retention than what a 2 point provides. Even after the adjustable 2 points have been out, there are still people that want 3 points.

The GS-3P will even allow the tension to be adjusted on the sling based on where the slider is positioned.

I know Jason has been asked to make a 3 point for about as long as he's been producing slings. It has taken him this long to do it because he didn't want to do one unless it offered something new. I think the GS-3P does.

I haven't been a fan of the 3 point because of the lack of flexibility of them and the snag hazard of the web needed to set up a 3 point, and the corresponding adjustments that had to be done to get to the support shoulder or prone. The single point capability of the GS-3P overcomes that and does so with almost no adjustment, and no slack webbing hanging free.

Ryo
23 June 2009, 00:19
Definitely that layout of the 3 point is different from my old sitting in the closet 3 point. Look forward to your videos on usage advantages.

nitehawk1946
25 June 2009, 17:01
Gear Sector GS-3P
Three Point Sling
Test & Evaluation

Just like there are many makes and models of rifles in the market today, the same is true for the multitude of slings available. Which one is the best? That question can only be answered by the user. What do you need the sling to do?

Previous experience with a Single Point Sling on my rifle left me unhappy and at times bruised about the knee caps and occasionally "smarting aches" in the frontal mid-section of my body. I found it difficult to run with and when bending or crouching the muzzle many times would hit the ground or other objects.

A Two Point Sling was a improvement over the Single Point Sling with regard to "control" of my rifle. When dropped to a carry position I was not "banging" kneecaps if the sling was cinched up. Unfortunately if climbing a tree stand ladder, crouching to stake or set a new target, running or jumping, the rifle was still hard to control.

I began looking for a Three Point Sling. The only previous experience I had with a Three Point Sling was in the military. That sling was just a standard military issue three point. We were often required to run, jump, climb ladders, etc. I do not recall my rifle getting in the way or being dropped during those events.

Gear Sector/Jason Trusty has developed and produced the GS-3P Three Point Sling. I have had the opportunity to perform a Test and Evaluation of a prototype GS-3P Three Point Sling manufactured by Gear Sector.

Several of my friends already have Gear Sector single point and two points slings. I was aware of the high quality workmanship. Not to mention the fact that you almost always receive your shipment in just a few days. I received the prototype from Jason in just two days. He ships fast!

Out of the box:
The GS-3P Three Point Sling, Two each Tri-Glides, Rear Adapter collapsible stock, Picatinny Rail Mount with Quick Release Talon QR Sling Swivel.

Quality:
Outstanding - High quality one inch nylon webbing. Clean, neat box stitching, no hanging threads.

Installation:
Very easy - Lay out all components. Attach rear and forward sling mounts. Start by routing the webbing thru the rear sling loop. Pull the entire length thru the rear swivel loop until it bottoms out on the box stitch. Take one Tri-glide and route the webbing thru one side only. Now route the webbing thru the loop-loc on the opposite end (where the Gear Sector logo is). Pull that same webbing thru the second slot on the Tri-glide. Hold the loose webbing end, grab the logo assembly and zip it to the rear. Now take the second Tri-glide and route the loose end thru both sides. Insert the loose end into the front sling loop, double and route thru the Tri-glide three times to secure the front connection point. Simple slide adjustments from this point to fit sling to your body.

Usage:
Outstanding - Very easy to use. Slide the sling adjustment enough to go over your head and shoulder and you are at the ready position. A simple slide adjustment and you can be at the carry position. Transitioning from strong shoulder to weak shoulder only requires sliding the Gear Sector logo tab toward the rear of the sling. This allows the user to convert the three point sling to one point sling mode without removing a arm out of the sling. When ready to go hands free, you simple pull the Gear Sector logo tab back to the front to re-establish the three point sling configuration. All of these actions can be performed while wearing the sling and without the necessity of dropping out of the sling. If you want to go climbing just use the sling like back pack straps. You can slide the rifle to the rear over either shoulder.

Personal Recommendation:
The Gear Sector GS-3P is a Outstanding Three Point Sling that easily combines the unique features of not only a single point sling but also the usual two point sling features. Easy to install. Allows the shooter to run, jump, crawl, climb ladders, kneel, go prone, frees up both hands, can draw sidearm or blade and still maintain control your rifle.

jmart
27 June 2009, 09:35
Do the same benefits accrue if you are mounting the sling at the rear of the HG (by the delta ring) and the rear of the receiver (DD loop/plate)? Secondly, would such a mounting configuration prevent access to the bolt release?

It looks as if the webbing would run right over the BR in that config, whereas the enclosed photos show the rear mounting point down around the toe of the stock, and the webbing runs diagonally down to that point, avoiding any interference with the BR.

It would appear to me the weapon control advantages are best realized when the mounting parts are farthest apart, but as they get closer together, I'm wondering if there's any benefit over an adjustable two point. If anyone has run a three point in this config, I'd really appreciate any feedback.

JTrusty
27 June 2009, 09:51
It would appear to me the weapon control advantages are best realized when the mounting parts are farthest apart...

Correct. You gain the most advantage from the GS-3P when the mounting points are located further apart.

...but as they get closer together, I'm wondering if there's any benefit over an adjustable two point.

You still have the benefit of higher retention.

Remember, no sling is designed to do it all. Each sling ( or other product for that matter ) needs to be evaluated for its design intent. In our case, we have had a huge demand for a three point sling. Medics ( and others ) need the retention offered by a three point to prevent muzzle strikes to downed troops. However, I wasn't willing to product a three point unless I could offer something more than the current crop currently available. The ability to going from three point ( high retention ) to one point in a fraction of a heart beat is where the GS-3P excels.

I hope that answers your question. [:)]

Paulo_Santos
28 June 2009, 01:30
Do the same benefits accrue if you are mounting the sling at the rear of the HG (by the delta ring) and the rear of the receiver (DD loop/plate)? Secondly, would such a mounting configuration prevent access to the bolt release?

It looks as if the webbing would run right over the BR in that config, whereas the enclosed photos show the rear mounting point down around the toe of the stock, and the webbing runs diagonally down to that point, avoiding any interference with the BR.

It would appear to me the weapon control advantages are best realized when the mounting parts are farthest apart, but as they get closer together, I'm wondering if there's any benefit over an adjustable two point. If anyone has run a three point in this config, I'd really appreciate any feedback.

jmart, I just tried it the way you suggested with the front section attached near the Delta Ring on my MRP and it worked pretty well, but you just took away some of the carry positions and you can't tighten the sling down to reduce the wobble anymore, which is not a big deal to most people. What you can do is to mount the front section of the sling all the way forward and then slide the slider section down by the Delta Ring where you want it and it will work as if you just mount the sling near the Delta Ring.

Custom-X_Sponjah
6 July 2009, 20:42
I have had this sling in my possession for over 3 weeks now. Of those 3 weeks I have been in and out of my Doctors office to figure out why I cant breath. Well Multiple Doctor Visits and a handful of prescriptions later I'm back in the game.

Upon first receiving the sling I had to figure out the best way to attach it to my Rifle. Moving a QD mount farther down my rail and using the supplied sling slots in my CTR I figured out the best way for my M4 with its current rail system. I contacted Steve Troy for a 10" replacement to my YHM Carbine Rail.
My Mossberg 935 was easy enough with the use of Gear Sector's Solid Stock Adapter (pink was the only color I had). And the sling seems to do what it was designed to do better on longer weapon platforms.

The sling itself has plenty of webbing for the longest of firearms that I had access to. Even with my Extra Large Frame and Body Armor on there is enough adjustment in the sling that It still works exactly how it was designed.

I thought I came across a little snag with the hardware and contacted Jason Forthwith. Upon a lengthy phone conversation I figured out the the piece of hardware in question was selected for a good reason. I changed the sling back to the original Hardware and proceeded with my T&E when I could breath. I still believe that a special manufactured (A.K.A. BUKU MONEY) piece of hardware would make a big difference. But the sling works 100% with the supplied hardware.

As with all of the Gear Sector slings I own, this one is comfortable enough to wear with just a tee shirt. I have a local ARFCOM shoot coming up in 2 weeks and will record some video and snap some pics of this sling in action on multiple weapon platforms. I am still engaged in its evaluation, but as you can read from what I have posted it seems to be working out as planned.

Final Update and Pics/Video to come.

CXS

m24shooter
11 July 2009, 10:42
Switched from shotgun to carbine now.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/100_1250.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/100_1252.jpg

Custom-X_Sponjah
14 September 2009, 18:31
Bump...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsgI8pOvFjo

CXS

m24shooter
15 September 2009, 18:36
Cross-posted:
Here's what I've discovered on what for me is the quickest/most efficient transition from the 3 to 1.
1. Holding the rifle normally, transition the firing hand to the front of the magwell.
2. Move the support hand from the VFG/handguard to the slider, grasping the web loop above it.
3. Sweep the support hand to the rear taking the slider with you and placing the sling in single point mode.
4. Release the slider and move the support hand to the grip.
5. Transition the stock from strong side to weak side.
In this way you're basically using a traditional strong/weak transition and just throwing the sling slider manipulation in where the hand is nearest the slider and then going from the stopping point into a firing grip. Minimal added movement, and no jockeying around with the sling/carbine.
At least that's how I roll.