PDA

View Full Version : Deciding to move to flattop upper, need suggestions

Creeky73
20 June 2009, 18:22
Hey guys, I have decided to finally bite the bullet and swap out my A2 style upper for an A4 style, and I was hoping to get some good suggestions and possibly pics posted. I have an RRA that I am converting, so I would prefer an upper that will bolt right up with that. I do not have to go with the absolute cheapest option out there, and I would actually prefer something with a little style and attitude. I would also prefer something that does NOT have the forward assist, but that is not in stone. I was looking at the higher end VLTOR unit, but can anyone point me in some other directions? I am looking for something around $300 or less.

Jerry R
20 June 2009, 18:47
Rainier Arms has a Sun Devil Billet upper with no FA for $175 that looks really nice:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=587

ballistic
20 June 2009, 19:46
Any reason other than aesthetics for not wanting a forward assist?

If you're going to use this rifle for any personal protection/home defense or use it in carbine classes, I'd recommend sticking with a forward assist. WEVO and Rainier Arms has a special group purchase (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197&highlight=upper+rainier+arms).

Creeky73
22 June 2009, 16:29
Well, I have read in quite a few places (doesn't make it true, I understand) that the forward assists don't serve much of a purpose in modern AR's. Admittedly, I have not exactly put 10,000 rounds through mine, but I have never had to think about that FA even once yet. So I thought I could live without it, and since manufacturers obviously make uppers without them, I didn't think I would be the lone ranger on this one :)

NickDrak
22 June 2009, 20:06
I have never needed to use a forward assist for any type of malfunction, but I do use mine on a regular basis to assure that my bolt is forward after performing a press check during my loading sequence. I would stick with a standard USGI style receiver, or if you just want to spend some more money....go with a LaRue Stealth.

CCK
24 June 2009, 11:25
I hesitate to mention this as I need another one and would hate to see a run on them before I purchase. But Les Baer makes a forged upper with only the case deflector. I have one and you can see how it looks in bad photos in the Explain Your Layout thread.

I never used my last FA either, so I know where you are coming from.

Chris