PDA

View Full Version : Barrel for a "distance" AR Build? (5.56)

jeeves915
23 June 2009, 21:18
Hey guys:
I'm in the process of putting together a list of components to do a good medium/long range AR as a Birthday/Anniversary/Christmas present to my g/f. I've got on my list the obligatory Magpul PRS stock, 20rnd PMags, MIAD, Lower, good trigger, etc.

I run into problems though when it comes to plotting/planning the upper. She's commented before she wanted a longer ranged weapon, (Her words, "that's what you and your rifle are for, when the zombies get close").

To me, that means an 18" barrel, and free float rails (DD Lite 12-14" ones). However, I don't know WHICH 18" to get. Centurion, Noveske, WOA, Rainier's house brand, etc. I'm at a loss really.

Suggestions from the experts?
-Adam

Paulo_Santos
24 June 2009, 04:52
All of those barrels sound good. I'd just get the one you can find in stock.
Just an FYI on the PRS Stock...it is heavy as hell. I'd prefer the E-Mod or LMT for an SPR.

bigcoastie
24 June 2009, 05:07
+1 for 18" barrel, like paul said all of your choices seem good. I would look at twist rate some people prefer 1:8 or 1:7 for a SPR. Noveske, Lilja, Shilen, Lothar Walther, WOA. The most important thing is going to be trigger and optics when you are talking about high end barrels, that and the shooter obviously. The other questions are what are your budget and do you just want a barrel or are you looking for a complete upper?

jeeves915
24 June 2009, 05:33
Thanks for the input so far guys!
The optics are something that I'm leaving to her father to get her (I already discussed the project with him).

As for the weight of the PRS, this rifle won't be carried much, other than to/from the range.

As for barrel alone/complete upper: I've thought hard on getting one of Rainier's Ultramatch uppers and calling it a day, as I can't seem to argue with their choices. However, if I can GET a good barrel, and build the upper around that, I'll go that route as well.

Any more good advice?
-Adam

Paulo_Santos
24 June 2009, 13:34
Optics choices. If you want an affordable optic check out the Hourus 3x12-50 Hawk for approximately $550. The New SWFA 3x9-40 is also a great choice for $600 and it is FFP and has matching Mil Turrets/Mil Reticle. If you can wait a couple of months, IOR is coming out with their new 2.5x10-42 Illuminated MP-8 Reticle with exposed Mil Turrets which will be an awesome scope at around 1K.

chase102798
25 June 2009, 21:08
Buy the Rainier 18" Ultra-match upper and don't look back. They assemble those things with black magic.

I have the 18" barrel (their blanks are shilen) and on my good days I have shot it 1/4 MOA with careful handloads, but it always holds 1/2 -3/4 MOA when I'm full of caffine jitters. You just can't really build an upper with those quality parts for much less. IMO the ratchet rifling they use seems to clean easier too.

Also, they pin the gas block. You would have to buy a special tool from them to get that deep sleep peace of mind. ;)

Stickman
26 June 2009, 09:21
Chase,

That is fantastic shooting, and certainly better than what I'm able to do with the ammo that I use. One of these days I need to start loading my own ammunition.

federalist22
26 June 2009, 14:30
If you are not carrying the rifle much and want more range out of the barrel, try shooting a 24", 1:8 stainless bull barrel using 68gr, 69gr, or 75gr .223. I have a RRA Varmint A4 with Magpul PRS and free float tube, Harris Bipod, RRA match trigger, Accu-Shot Monopod, with a Nikon 3-9x40 in Tactical Precision Systems rings. I group the 68gr rounds at about 3/4" at 200yds--so does my wife. If you are looking for a good prairie dog gun this would do it well--it's an excellent long-range AR. If you want to shoot lighter ammo (40gr or 45gr - devastating on prairie dogs) you can get the RRA in 1:12 twist. This rifle will reach out and touch things, no matter what size.

Jerry R
26 June 2009, 18:54
Buy the Rainier 18" Ultra-match upper and don't look back. They assemble those things with black magic.

I have the 18" barrel (their blanks are shilen) and on my good days I have shot it 1/4 MOA with careful handloads, but it always holds 1/2 -3/4 MOA when I'm full of caffine jitters. You just can't really build an upper with those quality parts for much less. IMO the ratchet rifling they use seems to clean easier too.

Also, they pin the gas block. You would have to buy a special tool from them to get that deep sleep peace of mind. ;)

I am not looking back [:D]

I have a range day scheduled July 6th for barrel break-in and sight-in. I could not be happier (so far) with the Rainier Ultra-Match. Pics posted in the "SPR Build Complete" thread.

I have two Remington bolt guns that I take to Montana, a .243 and a .223 - they both shoot 3/8ths or better with handloads. That is as good as these old eyes can do, they are probably capable of better.

On the glass - the .243 has a Leupold 8.5x25 LRT that has been converted to 20x50 by Premier Reticle. The .223 has a Leupold 8.5x25 LRT. The new Rainier has a Leupold 6.5x20 50mm AO Target. You have to be able to see those 20 ounce coke bottle sized critters to hit them.

Buy the best glass you can afford. You will never regret it.

Jerry-ism --- "It only costs twice as much to go first class."

TehLlama
3 July 2009, 11:03
Just evaluate the weight and maintenance you're after - odds are most any stainless 18" will get you the results you want, with FF tube and any decent optic.

Mine happens be an 18" w/ MRF-RX an Leupold MR/T 3-9x36mm ITMR
With each of my nicer triggers, my wife has shown interest in taking it over from me.