PDA

View Full Version : DD Omega Rail LP Gas Block

Goodfellas
25 June 2009, 09:31
I just purchased a DD Omega Rail 12.0 to put on my 16" carbine. I'm trying to find a definitive answer on what low profile gas blocks will fit inside the omega rail. My impression is that a lot of the lp gas blocks don't fit b/c of the narrow profile of the omega rail. I think that the cmmg micro will fit. Does anyone know for sure what others will fit. I'm particularly interested in the VLTOR clamp on. Thanks.

OfcPowder
25 June 2009, 21:03
You can do what I did and mill the FSB. It IS very narrow and took a nice precision hand. I don't have closeups of the block, just pics of the rail on the gun. My guess would be the VLTOR block would work, I was considering it. I decided I didn't want to spend the bucks and the pinned FSB would be the most secure way.

Pics are posted here about mid-page:
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817&page=5

Goodfellas
26 June 2009, 08:19
That's a nice looking rifle. I'm sure that it's intimidating for the perps that get a free ride. I am considering shaving the fsb but, I wanted to see what other options are available also. I'm not 100% confident that i would be able to do it successfully.

Stickman
26 June 2009, 09:14
Have you thought about the Daniel Defense LP block? I haven't used it under an Omega rail myself, but I've read of others using it.

Goodfellas
26 June 2009, 11:16
Yes the DD gas block was the first one I thought about. I believe that i read a post from one of their sales reps that said it will fit but not well. I'm not exactly sure what not well means but, it doesn't sound good. I know there are lots of Omega rails out there but, I guess most people aren't using them with lo pro gas blocks. Thanks for the reply. I'm always impressed with your photos.

OfcPowder
26 June 2009, 12:56
That's a nice looking rifle. I'm sure that it's intimidating for the perps that get a free ride. I am considering shaving the fsb but, I wanted to see what other options are available also. I'm not 100% confident that i would be able to do it successfully.

I was a little apprehensive at first as well, but I've always been a do-it-yourself-er kind of guy. As long as you don't cut into the gas block itself you can shave a lot off. I removed it from the barrel, cut the sight posts off with a die-grinder, then followed things up with a bench grinder, and finally a Dremel-type tool. Re-coating it in something like Norell's is a good idea, but I just bought a small can of flat black paint for use on metals that had a high-temp rating. I do have some Norell's now I'm going to be doing some other work with, so I might go back and re-do this one as well. If I do, I will certainly take pics.

Good luck with whatever you do.

rob_s
26 June 2009, 13:03
black grill paint works great on shaved FSBs.

Goodfellas
28 June 2009, 17:44
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll try to shave the fsb and see how I like it. I will order some Norrell's for sure. Thanks again.