PDA

View Full Version : another stupid question.

seanmunger
28 June 2009, 21:55
thanks for tolerateing my stupid questions guys. im learning as i go. here is another question that im concerned about, i was looking at my dads ar-15, and i asked him about lubrication, what he used and where he lubricated. i have always heard that ar15s like to run wet, but se said he didnt lube the bolt, just the carrier group, now im confused... my dad knows what he is talking about he did 20+ years as a gree beret, but i have heard on here and other forums that the weapon likes to be run wet. i assume that means lubing everything...
can some one please help?

rob_s
29 June 2009, 02:48
I generally douse the whole bolt and carrier. I'll pop the bolt out of the carrier, get it glistening, re-assemble the whole thing and then hit the whole BCG. When in the gun if I think it needs some lube (something I see all the time when running our drills nights) I'll leave the BCG in the gun, have the shooter pull back the bolt and I'll hit the lugs and the portion of the bolt I can see, and have them turn the ejection port up and put a couple of drops in each vent hole in the carrier, which gets lube down into the piston rings.

Most meat-eaters aren't gear/gun guys. I've met quite a few real deal guys over the years and very few of them know more about their weapon system than what they were told in the military, which is often less than accurate. That in no way diminishes your dad's service.

seanmunger
29 June 2009, 02:57
ok thanks for the advice... i was planning on douseing the whole thing, i didnt think i would hurt andything. better safe than sorry. but i thought id ask first