PDA

View Full Version : MBUS on a hard use gun?

Mr.Goodtimes
7 July 2009, 15:19
would you guys consider using the new magpul MBUS on a hard use weapon?

i know magpull makes good stuff but i got mixed feelings about it. i would be buying them as a set, mounting the front one on my larue 11.0 rail.

spamsammich
7 July 2009, 16:03
If it's good enough for Costa and Haley, it's good enough for me. They probably put a few more rounds down range than I do per year. Probably.

Uglyduck
7 July 2009, 16:22
Keep an eye on this thread, they're using the MBUS on this build

Extreme Use AR15 thread (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838)

Mr.Goodtimes
7 July 2009, 16:34
well thats cool, i didnt know travis and costa were using them on their guns.

im strongly considering using these as i really don thave 250 bucks to blow on troys.

tac40
7 July 2009, 20:45
I am currently running 2 Magpul MBUS, 1 on a Colt 6920-work related and the other a 6.8mm upper by AR15 Performance.

I picked up the MBUS just as it was being introduced by Travis & Chris at their carbine II class. Most if not all the students were so impressed with the MBUS, what was on hand sold in seconds.

The MBUS is tough, well made and easy to use. I'll post some pics in a bit. I was previously using Troy but gave it up to a buddy for his AR.

Paulo_Santos
7 July 2009, 22:29
I still haven't found the answer to this question. Is the REAR BUIS Same Plane Aperatue like the Troy or like the A2?

NickDrak
7 July 2009, 22:33
I still haven't found the answer to this question. Is the REAR BUIS Same Plane Aperatue like the Troy or like the A2?

I believe it is same plane, as the small ap folds into the hole of the large ap kinda like the ARMS 40L from what I can tell from the pics I have seen. I am expecting one in the mail tomorrow for my lightweight build.

spamsammich
7 July 2009, 23:05

It is not same plane.

rob_s
8 July 2009, 03:43
My initial take here (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/111221.html)

The rear, whether intentionally or not, is NOT same plane.

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_111421/MBUS$20Rear$20Sam-Plane$20$28Custom$29.jpg

I have some issues with the MBUS, but for $100+/- for the PAIR I'm willing to ignore a LOT of those issues. That's less than a single Troy! and it's kind of the point of the sights as well. Magpul realized that what the market needed wasn't another $100+ rear BUIS, what the market needed was an affordable option that didn't suck. Say what you want about the MBUS, but I don't think they suck. They may not excel, but they don't suck.

Would I personally use them if I was headed to war? No, but then that's not the market for them. Would I put them on my personally owned guns? It's a yes for the rear, but my issues with the front, even at the price, give me pause. I'll need to run them some more to make up my mind for sure on that one.

I think the Troys are twice the sight, but then they're also (more than) twice the price.

gotm4
8 July 2009, 03:58
Unless you are going to be pummeling people with your MBUS it will hold up just fine. The MBUS doesn't work well as a hammer.

tac40
9 July 2009, 06:01
Rob's review is good covering the MBUS. From my daliy patrol rifle use and whatever "hard use" means to you, The Magpul MBUS is a decent reliable sight for what it is. I had a Troy rear sight, loved it from day one, wish I could get it back from my buddy, no chance there.

For the cost, simple function and quick use application of the MBUS=L/R or from the top, it's hard to beat. Shooting from the prone behind cover or "SBU" position, the spring release mechanism on the MBUS was handy with min movement.

You will save some bucks buying the Magpul product, think Pmag reliability and durability, so when the $*** hits the fan, yeah it'll work. My 2 cents here.

Mr.Goodtimes
9 July 2009, 08:30
considering what i've read in this thread, im strongly considering the MBUS for my rifle... i'm running into this phobia, though, of "plastic sights" on my gun.

i was also considering the LMT BUIS (front and rear) but idk how ill like fixed sights, seems like they would sorta clutter up my eotech.

tac40
9 July 2009, 09:42
I was running an ACOG scope on my duty rifle-Colt M4, awhile back. The Colt had the typical fixed front sight. When I was using the scope I noticed that at the bottom of the ACOG, the view picked up a portion of the front sight assembly. Not that it disrupted the view but it was something I knew I didn't like.

I have other uppers without the fixed front sight and have folding front sights
So with scopes I learn to use uppers set up w/o the fixed sights. With the red dot sighting system, I learned to appreciate co-witnessing the sights together. I get to play with different toys, some of mine and others borrowed. So like everyone you learn. I am always learning new tricks.
Good luck.

HMFIC
10 July 2009, 01:08
Keep an eye on this thread, they're using the MBUS on this build

Extreme Use AR15 thread (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838)

Error 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!

:(:(:(

Stickman
10 July 2009, 09:06
Error 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!

:(:(:(

Its working now, can you try it again, if it doesn't work, let me know. The thread is tacked to the top of the forum, but the link from here should be working also.

HMFIC
10 July 2009, 22:35
Still not working, same msg....

gotm4
11 July 2009, 09:42
Not working for me either. I sometimes get that same messages when I click on new posts after signing in as well. It's weird.