PDA

View Full Version : Magpul hand guard & flip up gas block

BrassSlinger
7 July 2009, 15:34
Can I used the Yankee Hill flip up front sight gas block with the Magpul hand guard? If not what flip up gas block will work with the hand guard?

Thanks in advance

NickDrak
7 July 2009, 16:05
Im not 100% sure, but I believe that if you are using the original handguard cap along with the flip-up front sight it should work.

One other bit of advice....

If this is going on a gun that you may take into harms way, get a different flip-up front sight or stick with the fixed FSB.

My PD purchased 25 RRA carbines that came with the same flip-up front sight assembly and several have been in need of being re-tightened after minimal shooting. IMO, it is just a bad design for a serious gun.

The only clamp-on style, flip-up, barrel mounted front sights I would recommend based on guys I shoot with's experiance is the VLTOR or the PRI.

Mr.Goodtimes
7 July 2009, 16:40
i wouldnt recommend this gas block either. i had one installed on my rifle when we had to cut off my FSB to install a rail (FSB taper pins WOULD NOT come out) and within about 500 rds three of the four screws were nearly loose enough to be taken out with just bare hands.

BrassSlinger
7 July 2009, 20:00
i wouldnt recommend this gas block either. i had one installed on my rifle when we had to cut off my FSB to install a rail (FSB taper pins WOULD NOT come out) and within about 500 rds three of the four screws were nearly loose enough to be taken out with just bare hands.

Did you apply any loctite to the screws? I want to believe that the Yankee Hill gas block will hold together as it's much more affordable compared to the others.

I don't plan on taking any home built AR15 into harms way so it should not be a problem but I still would not want my gas block to fall apart.

Is this the gas block you are talking about?

Thanks again

NickDrak
7 July 2009, 20:38
Yes, loctite was applied to the bolts, but IMO the loosening is caused more by the actual metal of the bottom mounting plate being fatigued from a combo of how it is designed/mounted/stressed, and the heat coming from the barrel. Im no engineer, but that is my best guess.

Yes, that is the PRI sight I suggested. I have no experience with the new ARMS folding front sight, but it's clamping design appears to be similar to the other two that I have suggested.

I would suggest either Bravo Co. or Rainier Arms.

Rainier has both in-stock:

Mr.Goodtimes
7 July 2009, 20:39
the PRI is a good block. i didnt install the gas block, it was installed by spikes tactical. im not sure if they loctited the screws or not. weather they were loctited or not though, they shouldnt have started to walk out in 500 rds or less like they did, hell, they shouldnt walk out at all.

if you look around, yankeee hill isnt know for the highest quality parts around.

i would go with the PRI gas block, much better choice.