PDA

View Full Version : Keep my mutt rifle or sell it?

Mr.Goodtimes
9 July 2009, 13:57
I highly value the opinions of the people that post here so im gonna post this question here in addition to m4c.

I have a build i pieced together before really knowing anything about AR's, i think i did ok though but i bought the basic rifle before i knew about Noveske, DD, LMT, Colt. At the time i was actually under the impression that colt's AR's were not the best in the business! [wow]

Since the basic rifle, ive upgraded/replaced almost every part on the rifle except for the barrel/upper receiver and the lower receiver, and even then, parts of the LKP have been replaced.

Here are the specs:

-Spikes Tactical Upper
-1/7 Chrome lined 16in barrel
-Surefire MB556K
-BCM F/A BCG w Crane O Ring black extractor spring insert.
-MI Front BUIS, MI SPLP Rear BUIS
-American Defense Eotech Mount, Eotech 512
-Larue Gas Block
-Larue 11.0
-Surefire G2 in VLTOR Offset mount

-CMMG Lower
-JP 3.5lb Tactical FCG springs
-H3 Buffer
-VLTOR EMOD
-VLTOR Receiver Extension
-DD QD end plate
-MOE Grip
-Enhanced Trigger Guard

I bought the upper/lower before i really knew anything about AR's and im jumping back and fourth as to weather or not i should hang on to this thing and slowly save for another rifle/build or sell the thing and buy a Colt, LMT, BCM, or mabey a Noveske.

is this rifle up to par with what a hard use rifle should be?

Pic of Rifle (yall have probably seen it in the pic threads)

http://i26.tinypic.com/2rp7194.jpg

NCM
9 July 2009, 19:26
Unless you want a different barrel contour or length, there isn't much wrong with most AR barrels. Upper and lowers are more a less equal for practical use provided they are all in spec - since you've had the rifle awhile I wouldn't worry about it.

What exactly don't you like about your build? Heavy? Just want something different?

9 July 2009, 21:10
Looks like a very nicely built AR, in my humble and inexperienced opinion. So, what's wrong with it? Is it because it doesn't bear the Colt, DD, LMT, or Noveske name? I personally would be very proud, if that were my rifle I built. Have you put it to "hard use", before condemning it?

AR Performance
9 July 2009, 21:58
I highly value the opinions of the people that post here so im gonna post this question here in addition to m4c.

I have a build i pieced together before really knowing anything about AR's, i think i did ok though but i bought the basic rifle before i knew about Noveske, DD, LMT, Colt. At the time i was actually under the impression that colt's AR's were not the best in the business! [wow]

Since the basic rifle, ive upgraded/replaced almost every part on the rifle except for the barrel/upper receiver and the lower receiver, and even then, parts of the LKP have been replaced.

Here are the specs:

-Spikes Tactical Upper
-1/7 Chrome lined 16in barrel
-Surefire MB556K
-BCM F/A BCG w Crane O Ring black extractor spring insert.
-MI Front BUIS, MI SPLP Rear BUIS
-American Defense Eotech Mount, Eotech 512
-Larue Gas Block
-Larue 11.0
-Surefire G2 in VLTOR Offset mount

-CMMG Lower
-JP 3.5lb Tactical FCG springs
-H3 Buffer
-VLTOR EMOD
-VLTOR Receiver Extension
-DD QD end plate
-MOE Grip
-Enhanced Trigger Guard

I bought the upper/lower before i really knew anything about AR's and im jumping back and fourth as to weather or not i should hang on to this thing and slowly save for another rifle/build or sell the thing and buy a Colt, LMT, BCM, or mabey a Noveske.

is this rifle up to par with what a hard use rifle should be?

Pic of Rifle (yall have probably seen it in the pic threads)

http://i26.tinypic.com/2rp7194.jpg

Do you like it and does it run well? If it does both don't worry about what everyone else says. Colt makes a good rifle but it is not the only good rifle out there. It's just my opinion but don't toss a good rifle and spend more money to keep up with the Jones's that are biased.
BTW, it looks damn nice.

Mr.Goodtimes
10 July 2009, 01:47
Looks like a very nicely built AR, in my humble and inexperienced opinion. So, what's wrong with it? Is it because it doesn't bear the Colt, DD, LMT, or Noveske name? I personally would be very proud, if that were my rifle I built. Have you put it to "hard use", before condemning it?

This right here. I got to reading and started worrying that even though it shoots great, its still not a Colt, DD, LMT, Noveske, or KAC. And to be honest, i think im being stupid about it because thats about the only thing this rifle is lacking.

I havent put it to truely "hard use" yet but i really want to. the most ive ever shot out of the rifle in a range trip was 300 rds, and i shot those in about an hour, it was almost non stop shooting. rifle functioned flawlessly. id like to see it go about 1k though with out cleaning and see how it does then.

Stickman
10 July 2009, 09:03
Weak points in your weapon are going to be the trigger springs, and the H3 buffer. The weaker springs are more likely to give you a failure to fire if you are using military ammo or run into a hard primer, and the H3 buffer is more likely to get you short stroking if you shoot weak ammo. The H3 will become apparent as the weapon gets dirty, and lube starts burning off as well.

This doesn't mean your weapon is garbage, so please don't take it that way. You are asking if you should sell your weapon because if its total parts, and my answer would be no. HOWEVER, if you are looking for a hard use weapon, I would keep the two above key items in mind. Maybe there is no need to change them out right now, but if you start running the carbine hard, you will find those to be the things that will start coming into play.

Those are parts that make the weapon more enjoyable to shoot no doubt, so it becomes a matter of what its actual purpose is.

tac40
10 July 2009, 09:12
All the parts you used to re-build your AR is what I would have used. CMMG lower and Spike Tactical upper, sounds good to me. This AR should hold up and work hard for you. Have you ever test driven this AR in a carbine class?
It looks like a shooter-work gun.

A funny story here, my buddy a SWAT guy invested alot of money into a Noveske AR, man what a great AR, it's like a high end girlfriend but can hang with everyone. Does he shoot it? Once in a blue moon, after all that, his excuse was, "it's a Noveske" I have seen folks fall into that.

Just shoot it and enjoy it as a work AR.

Failure2Stop
10 July 2009, 10:06
I mirror Stick's recommendations.

I would drop the H3 for an H buffer and have an extra hammer and trigger spring on standby. In my experience the H3 is unnecessary unless shooting a suppressed SBR with an overly-large gas port, such as on a cut-down BM. I don't know the relative gas-port size on CMMG barrels.

You have a good BCG, which is the biggest problem with most sub-par guns. You probably don't need the o-ring in the extractor, but if it hasn't given you any ejection issues I wouldn't worry about it unless you start to get lazy ejection, in which case I would pop out the o-ring as a first diagnostic step. If your gun works with all the ammo you intend on feeding it, then the chamber is fine for your use, regardless of what it actually is.

The rest of the stuff is really just user preference. Keep the above in mind and go run the gun.

Mr.Goodtimes
10 July 2009, 14:24
I got the original full power hammer and trigger springs on stand by in case the rifle starts to fail to fire, but so far its been good with all the ammo ive tried, a lot of M193. I have a carbine buffer i can throw back in there until i can get an H buffer or H2. I went with the H3 because one of the guys at Larue Tactical recommended it to me. The most rounds this rifle has ever seen down range at one time was about 300 so, its never been driven real hard.

I plan to run the snot out of it late this year/early next year in a Magpul Dynamics class.

Spikes advertised it as a 5.56 chamber, and its handeled M193 and 5.56 Tap really well with no FTE's, even when things start to warm up.

Also, Failure 2 Stop, im not sure if its a CMMG barrel or a Sabre. Spikes has used both so it could be either. It is MPC, though.

Tac40, you bring up a interesting point about the noveske. That is probably something that some people run into, one of the things i really love about this gun is that im really not afraid to bang it up and get down and dirty with her. I'm not sure id have too many problems roughing up a noveske either though lol :)

The first thing i planned on doing if i got a noveske is krylon banging it the same i did with this one!

Failure2Stop
10 July 2009, 15:36
Spikes advertised it as a 5.56 chamber, and its handeled M193 and 5.56 Tap really well with no FTE's, even when things start to warm up.

Also, Failure 2 Stop, im not sure if its a CMMG barrel or a Sabre. Spikes has used both so it could be either. It is MPC, though.

If it's tested and given you no problems, rock on. It isn't that people need a dimensionally correct 5.56 chamber, we just want the reliability that provides. So if you are getting it, there isn't any issue as to what the barrel says, even if it's scribbled on with purple crayon.

tac40
10 July 2009, 19:12
Bring lots of ammo for the class, you'll be running and dropping to the deck, bring elbow/knee pads, oh yeah water. Travis and Chris are good guys, you'll learn and learn some more.

Mr.Goodtimes
13 July 2009, 07:31
got some elbow and knee pads already [:D] should 2k rds be enough?

dragondoc
23 July 2009, 23:50
The first thing i planned on doing if i got a noveske is krylon banging it the same i did with this one!

How did you get that unique krylon job? [adore]

Mr.Goodtimes
24 July 2009, 14:56
dragon doc, thanks bro :) I used Krylon camo paint and a dive net to give the pattern. It was a very simple job to do. If you need any help in doing your own, PM me and ill give ya any help you need!

nitehawk1946
24 July 2009, 17:15
Keep it ! Just make it your range dog.

doubletap
25 July 2009, 07:36
I say keep it. You've customized it the way you like it and unless you find something lacking through using it I would be happy to have it. I think you have a nice set up and have gotten some good well educated advice from the members here (not me I'm just a noob).