PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Choice

firedog934
12 October 2007, 19:43
This is my first build and I would like some input on barrels. My build is going to be for HD and the range. Any info on a good choice for a 16". I am leaning toward a Noveske.

slayr15
12 October 2007, 19:55
olympic arms makes a good barrel and will save you some change.

John Hwang
12 October 2007, 21:17
Are you looking to build from scratch? Olympic Arms does have nice barrels. If money isn't a consideration, one of the better barrel choices out there is the Sabre Defence Midlegth Barrel.

Features:

* Mil-B-1159F Vandium Alloy
* Mid Length Gas System
* Gov’t Profile (thin under the hand guards)
* Front end cap / Delta ring assembly included
* 1:7 Twist
* M4 Feed Ramps
* A2 Flash Hider
* Chrome Lined

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/ff5d541c037de5155f26147b9cce6aa4.jpg (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=829)

Paulinski
13 October 2007, 07:27
First off all sorry to hi-jack

John

I'm interested in finding some information regarding the Rainer Arms Ultra Match Barrels. As I'm thinking about purchasing the 16" version. I understand they are stainless steel but will that be a limiting factor in high round usage?

Also will 1/8 twist stabilize 77 grain projectiles?

Thanks

Paul

Stickman
13 October 2007, 09:27
This is my first build and I would like some input on barrels. My build is going to be for HD and the range. Any info on a good choice for a 16". I am leaning toward a Noveske.

Which Noveske barrel? With the info you have given, I would look at the Noveske basic upper. People are reporting shooting sub-moa groups, and its heavy chrome lining and higher grade steel ensures its will last a long time.

TigerStripe
13 October 2007, 10:46

John

I'm interested in finding some information regarding the Rainer Arms Ultra Match Barrels. As I'm thinking about purchasing the 16" version. I understand they are stainless steel but will that be a limiting factor in high round usage?

Thanks

Paul

I'm not John and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Rainier Arms 16" barrels are good barrels. 1/8 twist will stabilize 77gr bullets, many match shooters use 1/8 barrels and most of the use stainless steel ones as well. My understanding is that stainless barrels don't generally last as long as chromelined barrels. When you ask about high round usage do you mean putting a lot of rounds out at each trip to the range or a build up of round count over the life of the barrel? Blasting large amounts of rounds each time at the range will degrade a barrel faster.

TS

Paulinski
13 October 2007, 17:33
Tigerstripe

Thanks for the info. By large round count I mean over the life of the barrel. I don't plan to shoot 1k through the barrel on a one day. The reason I asked about is that I have to experience with stainless barrels only chrome lined.

firedog934
13 October 2007, 17:41
$ for $ is the Sabre Defence barrel a better choice? What is the deal w/Gov't profile is it make a difference?

John Hwang
14 October 2007, 10:01

John

Thanks

Paul

There has been many reports of SS barrels lasting just as long as any chrome lined barrel but it is nearly impossible to tell you how each barrel will last because as there are many factors to barrel wear. Also, some people's idea of a good barrel is 3" MOA while others need sub MOA which means you might want to change out your barrel sooner. Depending on your rate of fire (heat to the barrel), chambering, etc will determine the life of your barrel. One of the advantages to ratchet rifling is longer barrel life. Here's the theory behind ratchet rifling.

"Instead of the rifling being square and hanging down in the bore so that it can engrave a square notch in the bullet it has flats where the rifling would be. The bullet is not upset or stressed as much. Instead of having 6 or 8 sharp knotches it will have small flats that are very unnoticeable.

This makes the bullet fly better in the wind because there are no sharp edges to bite into a cross wind. The bullet jacket is not deformed as much so the chances of loose cores are much less. Since there are no sharp corners to burn off the barrel life is much longer and is dependent on heat checking alone to end its life." - Gale McMillan

Does this theory have merit? All I know is that Shilen barrels have always shot well and has been a proven winner. If you look at the equipment list of top shooters, many will be outfitted with Shilen. The reason why you haven't seen it a lot till now is because it was not affordable ($458). That's why we decided to mass produce these to get the price down to $365. One other benefit is because of the flats in the chambering, it sure makes it a lot easier to clean as well.

From our experience, the 1:8 twist will stabilize 77 grain without issue.

Hopefully, this will answer some of your questions.

John Hwang
14 October 2007, 10:07
$ for $ is the Sabre Defence barrel a better choice? What is the deal w/Gov't profile is it make a difference?

Gov't profile just means that there is less material underneath the handguards. That's not the factor. The main factors why SD barrels are a nice choice is:

1) Quality Control - You will see less duds coming out of SD than many other MFGs.
2) Additional Testing - MPI, Proof Firing, etc. Most commercial MFGs only spot test to check for QC so the consistency is not always there.
3) Materials used - Mil-B-1159F Vandium Alloy is extremely effective for barrels and is machine gun rated.

From my experience, I would not think twice about going with Sabre if budget allows.

Paulinski
14 October 2007, 12:22
John Thanks for the info.

I'm going to use one of your barrels for my next build [:D]

Paul

RyanB
1 April 2008, 00:54
I don't need a match barrel to kill someone in my house. To that end I believe that one should secure a good chrome lined barrel (Noveske, Colt, LMT, BCM, Sabre) for a decent price. If it's going to be 16" it ought to be mid, and since you ought to be using a red dot, it should have a front sight base. That pretty much leaves Noveske, Sabre and BCM. SS would be fine, and you can get them for cheap sometimes. Just make sure it has a 5.56 chamber. I would be willing to use an OAI barrel if it had a michiguns reamer run through it, but they don't make mids so it isn't ideal.