PDA

View Full Version : Lube-Free BCG, Hammer, Upper Receiver

nitehawk1946
23 July 2009, 16:53
Anyone used the lube-free BCG, hammer, & upper receiver kits FailZero. They use the nickel boride coatings. FailZero maintains their basic kit has successfully sustained 11,000 rounds with minimal wear.

Mr.Goodtimes
23 July 2009, 18:09
im not really sure how i feel about this thing... seems really over priced to me, i guess it if actually works as advertised though its well worth the money. im gonna wait till i see some more reviews before i buy into it.

Waveman
23 July 2009, 20:33
As I understand it you can use Miltec per the instructions and get Nearly the same result.

rebelEMPIRE
24 July 2009, 00:25
I bought a set just to try out. Haven't installed it yet since my Upper Receiver has not come in yet. But without lubrication of any kind, the overall finish feels slick to the touch, almost like fresh wax on your car. It's been MPI'd (magnetic partical inspected), and shot peened.

The fact that it's shot peened tells me a lot in the quality of the part. Nearly eliminates the potential of corrosion, and hardens the outer most layer of the metal, while keeping the inner layers relatively soft to absorb vibrations in the material.

The overal finish where the BCG mates with any other surface is very smooth; areas that do not come in contact with a surface tend to have machining marks, which do not contribute to the performance in any manner well or poor.

It's nice the kit comes with a hammer. The only thing that was not treated with the same finish was the firing pin that came with it--it's probably the weakest part of the BCG.

I won't know anything substantial until I actually use it and abuse it. As a precaution, I'll lubricate it very lightly until I feel comfortable it's up to the challenge and then I'll go with no lube at all.

-rebelEMPIRE

Edit: I forgot to mention that 1 out of 4 stakings in the gas key was slightly off center. It's merely a cosmetic issue and should not detract from the performance. Regardless, the staking was cleanly applied.

Stickman
24 July 2009, 09:39
We are testing one currently on our heavy abuse weapon. There aren't enough rounds through it or different people having used it to give credible feedback at this point, but there have been no problems noted. Cleaning has been simple and quick.

nitehawk1946
24 July 2009, 17:17
Sounds good...just don't like to jump on something that "sounds great" and costs a bunch of $$$ without knowing more about it. Thanks all

hpower1
10 August 2009, 19:56
I am having an upper build and will have the fail zero on my bolt and carrier. I also mailed off my hammer to be coated before my upper comes in. I worked with Tim via e-mail and on the phone. Great people. they were very quick to respond, and very helpful.

Can't wait to try it out. Lots of good reports from what I have seen.

rebelEMPIRE
26 August 2009, 02:15
Update...

Well, after running the FailZero bolt completely dry, the carbon soot tends to cake on faster and harder. Yea, it's easier to clean than your other variety, but I would still recommend lubricating your BCG no matter what they advertise.

Here is why...

Heat disappation
Helps prevent surfaces from touching (aka lubrication)
Assist in sealing of the bolt/piston rings
Corrosion prevention (aluminum doesn't rust, it oxidizes)
Suspend tiny shavings of foreign or indigenous debris as a result of normal wear and tear, which in turns helps evacuate/disperse contaminant build up in one area.

Also, with the carbon soot still suspended in your lubricant, it makes cleaning easier because much of it isn't stuck on the BCG itself. Another thing to note is that even though your BCG can take the abuse with no lubrication, it does not mean your Upper Receiver can, too. Remember that it's aluminum and much more susceptible to wear.

Nevertheless, I have a lot more confidence in my weapon because of FailZero's design. I still need to continue testing until the breaking point or until something substantial happens.

-rebelEMPIRE

nitehawk1946
26 August 2009, 07:11
Thanks for the update rebelEMPIRE. I continue to read good things about FailZero. Also have a friend with a micro slick BCG and continue to follow his results. I agree lube is still required.

Stickman
26 August 2009, 08:35
I'm still running a very light coating of TW25B, and still happy with the results.

TehLlama
5 September 2009, 10:09
Any chance that Denny will be stocking the IonBond BCM's in the near future - I love my new pair of GTS BCG's, but I'd love to compare the DLC coating against the FailZero setup - especially for my SBR/Can setup.