PDA

View Full Version : LaRue Stealth, Rainier Ultramatch, or Centurion DMR?

jeeves915
25 July 2009, 13:08
Hey guys:
I'm in the process of piecing together a 5.56 "precision" weapon for my girlfriend for Christmas. I'm trying to decide on which upper to pair with it. So far, I've narrowed it to a Rainier Ultramatch 18", a Centurion DMR, or a LaRue Stealth.

They all seem to be quality kit, so I'm having a hard time deciding between the lot of them. Any comments or suggestions?
-Adam

Stickman
25 July 2009, 14:12
Hey guys:
I'm in the process of piecing together a 5.56 "precision" weapon for my girlfriend for Christmas. I'm trying to decide on which upper to pair with it. So far, I've narrowed it to a Rainier Ultramatch 18", a Centurion DMR, or a LaRue Stealth.

They all seem to be quality kit, so I'm having a hard time deciding between the lot of them. Any comments or suggestions?
-Adam

The RA is a Shilen based barrel using Shilen's ratchet rifling.

The LT is a Lothar Walther, and uses traditional cuts.

The Centurion Arms uses the same barrel that is on the issued MK12.

All of these barrels are going to be very accurate, and can probably shoot better than the vast majority of trigger pullers.

federalist22
25 July 2009, 16:49
On the barrel note, make sure you pair a quality trigger (Timney, or something) with your barrel choice, or the nice barrel is all for nothing. Good luck on the build.

Army Chief
25 July 2009, 23:31
We've got semi-official tie-ins to Rainier through the site, as John Hwang has been instrumental in establishing and maintaining Weapon Evolution as an Admin; even so, I can say with some objectivity that what I know of the man, and the quality of work/barrels/components coming out of RA makes me want to try out their custom shop uppers. That's not an affront to Centurion or LaRue -- just a well-deserved nod to Rainier.

Bottom line: the RA Ultramatch will likely anchor my next SPR build.

AC

jeeves915
26 July 2009, 10:46
AC:
I know of WEVO's ties to Rainier, and respect that. I also know that you guys wouldn't be tied to a company if it was crap. I've not heard a bad word about Rainier.

But then, I've also not heard ill of Centurion, and all I hear on LaRue is the guy is a bit...fanatical and VERY outspoken. I'm sure you can all see my dilemma.

-Adam

Jerry R
26 July 2009, 11:00
I purchased a lot of adjuncts from RA when upgrading my 25 year old carbine. When I built the SPR, I went with the RA Ultra-Match for two reasons. The second reason was that I am a big fan of Shilen barrels.

The primary reason was the previous dealings that I had with Rainier Arms. In my humble opinion, you will not find nicer, more professional, more knowledgeable people in the business. If they had everything I need, I would rarely shop elsewhere. Prices are very competitive, and delivery times are nothing short of amazing.

BTW, the SPR has an LRB lower from Rainier and a Timney 3LB trigger.

Any of your choices will make a very nice shooter.

Glass is second only to the trigger in importance for a distance rifle.

Cameron
26 July 2009, 16:27
The RA is a Shilen based barrel using Shilen's ratchet rifling.

The LT is a Lothar Walther, and uses traditional cuts.

The Centurion Arms uses the same barrel that is on the issued MK12.

All of these barrels are going to be very accurate, and can probably shoot better than the vast majority of trigger pullers.

What are the values, pros or cons of Shilen's ratchet rifling, Lothar Walther traditional rifling, and Centurion Arms barrel?

Cameron

jeeves915
26 July 2009, 18:18
Thanks Cameron, I second that request.

Army Chief
26 July 2009, 22:46
My research into this was largely limited to the Shilen, since I was unfamiliar with the "ratchet rifling" concept, and had been operating under the assumption that it was more akin to polygonal rifling. In reality, it is better defined as a 4-groove "canted land" profile.

PROS:
- Easier to clean
- Match-grade accuracy
- Significantly longer barrel life
- Less bullet deformation (higher ballistic coefficient, less subject to wind effects)

CONS:
- More difficult to manufacture (harder to lap)
- Expensive

There may or may not be any shared DNA between the RA barrels and Noveske barrels, but I strongly prefer premium barrels when they can be had, and I tend to view RA and NRW tubes along similiar lines. The initial outlay is always going to be higher, but I like the fact that you only have to spend the money once; in return, you get greater accuracy potential (even in an SBR), better metallurgy/durabillity, ease of maintenance and improved performance over the life of the barrel --- which for a Shilen is likely to be limited only by the kind of abusive heat cycling that is really only associated with injudicious use in full-auto applications.

AC

jeeves915
27 July 2009, 06:55
Stick:
On LaRue's page for the stealth, they mention that it has polygonal rifling. Just thought you might want to update your notes.

Now, how does that compare to ratchet rifling?

bigcoastie
27 July 2009, 08:00
Twist rate is also different the LT and Rainier are 1:8 the Centurion is 1:7.

Stickman
27 July 2009, 09:07
jeeves915,

It was poorly worded on my part, thankyou for clarifying. LW makes barrels for a lot of different companies who want an accurate barrel in SS. There is a website that lists the different methods of barrel cutting, I'll see if I can find the link.

Cameron
27 July 2009, 13:11
I have to admit that right of the bat "RATCHET RIFLING" sounds a lot cooler.

I'm serious I has a Lothar Walther LW50 in my Daniel Defense SPR upper, and it would have sounded a lot better to have RATCHET rifling versus button.... what the hell is button, my wife sews with buttons.... [wow]

Cameron