PDA

View Full Version : magnifier quality

alpha.kilo
25 July 2009, 16:03
I am wondering if anybody has any information, or perhaps it is an opinion at this point, reference the quality in the magnifiers offered by both EOTech and Aimpoint. I have searched the manufactures' sites and this forum and have come up fairly empty handed.

I am looking for information on glass quality and contruction quality. Does anybody have any experience with both and could offer some help?

I have shot the Aimpoint 3x but not the EOTech. The Aimpoint seems to be a high quality unit, but even their webiste provides little date. I am think about adding a magnifier and was searching to see if there are any known differences in quality and clarity.

Thanks in advance.

HMFIC
25 July 2009, 16:16
Im in the same boat, but have a "problem" paying 400+ for a magnifier. Im really debating getting a no name magnifier:

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?categoryId=9&productId=19

Has anyone used a "no name" magnifier?? (I know, you get what you pay for, but its just the magnifier)

Stickman
25 July 2009, 19:21
I know a few guys who are using the cheaper variants, and they like them.

m24shooter
25 July 2009, 19:35
I've owned and used both the Aimpoint and the EOTech magnifiers. I don't know that there is any difference, or much of one. I've seen one of the clone Aimpoint magnifiers and I can say that it fogged when it got wet. Otherwise I think the owner was quite happy with it.

alpha.kilo
26 July 2009, 00:00
I am definitely going in the Eotech or Aimpoint direction. I appreciate m24 having used both and not seeing a difference. If they are comparable, I guess price will be the difference.

I thought that maybe there would be some information out there as to where they get their glass, or perhaps that they may not build their own magnifiers. I could see an item like that possibly be farmed out.

But while there is a plethora of information about the actual Aimpoint or Eothech sights, info on the magnifiers is thin.

cmoore
26 July 2009, 11:41
Check my signature line...the Hensoldt-Wetzlar (known as a Panzerfaust 44) from WWII is a 3x that I got from LaRue. It was listed as their "Po-Boy Special". They reconditioned them, removed the tank-finding reticle and replaced that with clear, clean glass.

I've had it on my M4 behind the EoTech 553 for about 3 years and it works great. I think it was just under $200 when I got it. You see them on GunBroker sometimes....type in Panzerfaust 44 and you may pull up a couple...

let me check.....and there's one on there now for $79.00...although it's "worn", I'll bet it works pretty good....

tactical assault
26 July 2009, 12:21
Burris is making 3x magnifier. I believe it is called the AR-Tripler. I have a couple of their rifle scopes and like them every much.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/artripler.html

shadco
27 July 2009, 10:27
Burris is making 3x magnifier. I believe it is called the AR-Tripler. I have a couple of their rifle scopes and like them every much.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/artripler.html

Funny you should mention that.

I've got mine mounted, it has a nice feature in that you can adjust it to account for slight misalignment to get the dot centered.

It's not light either.

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/115435502.jpg

Stickman
27 July 2009, 10:37
Check my signature line...the Hensoldt-Wetzlar (known as a Panzerfaust 44) from WWII is a 3x that I got from LaRue. It was listed as their "Po-Boy Special". They reconditioned them, removed the tank-finding reticle and replaced that with clear, clean glass.

I've had it on my M4 behind the EoTech 553 for about 3 years and it works great. I think it was just under $200 when I got it. You see them on GunBroker sometimes....type in Panzerfaust 44 and you may pull up a couple...

let me check.....and there's one on there now for $79.00...although it's "worn", I'll bet it works pretty good....

I didn't think the optical glass was replaced in those, I thought it was the reticle. Either way, the Hensoldt-Wetzlar were/ are a great buy for a quick magnified optic. I had them bookmarked, and was going to pick up a few back when they were dirt cheap.

cmoore
27 July 2009, 23:15
Yeah Stick...they did a really good job swapping out that glass....the only catch was "no warranty", but as inexpensive as they were, I thought I'd give it a shot (so to speak)...there's a couple of us running those atop the M4's with no problems at all....