PDA

View Full Version : Newb & his first AR15 build...

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 17:39
I've never owned an AR15, shot an M16 in the service and have shot OPs but I decided a few years ago to go AK route as a battle carbine. Great SHTF choice but not very competitive in the 3gun arena.

There is likely a reason I was the only AK shooter at the R&R Racing match this month in Albany, OR. That match bit me bad with the 3gun bug. I kept saying "you know if you could mount a scope on your gun you could compete with a lot of these AR guys."

So since I won a "stubby stock" and redi-mag for an AR15 I don't own, I decided it was the start of my build for next years match.

My goal here is to build a quality shooter (<300 yards) as cheap as I can with the parts I know I like already. Bravocompany is pretty much a one stop shopping place for this so 80% of the stuff comes from there. People I trust say the BCM/LMT stuff is GTG and the price is right so that's where I started.

Trigger wise I'm fine with a 1 stage polished up but my buddy told me the JP spring kit really helps so for $10.00 I'm gonna try it.

This gun is a gamer gun but I am adding flip up sights because I have to get rid of the standard tower to use the optics and not having any irons bothers me even if they are likely to never be used. The YHM tower has a flip build in and is cheaper than a rail GB so that looked like a good choice.

Anyway, I would appreciate any input and especially you letting me know what I forgot to complete the build?

Remember the primary purpose is a gamer gun, so while I will have a small rail at the 10:00 on the MAGPUL forearm for a TLR-1 I did not list the light or slings as they are not used in 3Gun. I do like the VDG though and use it on my AK also, so the MAGPUL forearm was a cheap/light way to get this into the build instead of a full rail setup.

Here is the build so far..... . (IF YOU HAVE VIEWED THIS ALREADY, YOU MAY NEED TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO SEE UPDATED BUILD SHEET)
http://oregonshooter.com/share/3gun_build.jpg

Mr.Goodtimes
25 July 2009, 17:47
why do you have two front sights? also i wouldnt touch that YHM flip front sight with a 60ft pole. It's garbage. Mine loosened up in less than 500 rds. It probably would have become loose enough to fail within 100 more rds. I would go with some sort of set screw low profile gas block, or the Daniel Defense low profile gas block and put an extended FF rail over it.

whats AG Parms lower? ive never herd of them before.

Upper and BCG looks good as well as the other parts.

Dont forget a firing pin and firing pin retaining pin to go w/ your carrier and bolt.

alt154shiver
25 July 2009, 17:51
Buffer?

My knowledge in the buffer arena is limited so I can only suggest based on what I've heard and what I currently have, however it will significantly effect the weapon. The current buffer in my LWRC is an H2 which, from reading here and elsewhere is about ideal for carbine length ARs.

Oh, and welcome over to WeVo.

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 17:57
Thanks on the FP, I assumed it came with the bolt for some reason.

I corrected the x2 front sights you may have to refresh your browser to see the updated image.

AGP is a new receiver company that had an intro going on AR15.com for 25% off. http://www.agparms.com/product.php?productid=16151&cat=0&page=1&featured

The YHM is $75.00 for GB & sight, the DD block is $55.00 and the cheapest rail is ~$100.00 Also the weight of the FF rail is what I'm trying to avoid.

To be clear, you had that exact YHM GB/Flip sight? What loosened the sight or the GB?

Appreciate the input!

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 18:00
alt154shiver,
Don't I know you from somewhere? :)

I was reading (here?) about different buffer use, but didn't get too far into it.

This kit is contains all the necessary parts to mount your Mil-Spec dimention stock assembly to your lower receiver.

Receiver Extention - Mil-Spec, 6 position

Receiver End Plate

Lock Nut (Castle) M4

Action Spring, Carbine

Buffer Assembly, Carbine Std (options for H, H2)

Everyone say "H2" for this? Anyone got a link to why the H2 over H?

Mr.Goodtimes
25 July 2009, 18:14
Thanks on the FP, I assumed it came with the bolt for some reason.

I corrected the x2 front sights you may have to refresh your browser to see the updated image.

AGP is a new receiver company that had an intro going on AR15.com for 25% off. http://www.agparms.com/product.php?productid=16151&cat=0&page=1&featured

The YHM is $75.00 for GB & sight, the DD block is $55.00 and the cheapest rail is ~$100.00 Also the weight of the FF rail is what I'm trying to avoid.

To be clear, you had that exact YHM GB/Flip sight? What loosened the sight or the GB?

Appreciate the input!

FF rails arent that heavy. Especially the PRI rails or the DD light rails. Their worth the extra money, the accuracy increase is substantial and it gives you more mounting options.

I had the exact model your talking about. The only thing that caused the screws to loosen was shooting, nothing else. Shooting the gun caused the screws to loosen, and the gas block to damn near fall off. When i went to take the block off, i was able to turn two of the four screws with my fingers. These has been lock tited in place too.

Mr.Goodtimes
25 July 2009, 18:17
thats a nice lookin lower too. A stripped lower is pretty much a stripped lower. Its probably the most unimportant part of the whole rifle. As long as its in spec thats all that matters. For the most part, just pick a roll mark you like and go with it.

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 18:20
I might go with the MAGPUL flip up front on the end of the MAGPUL forearm then. Short sight radius but not much shorter that the GB setup.

I can just cut the M4 tower down and save on buying another GB that way.

Thanks a bunch for the info, it really "looked" good on paper. :)

LOWER: I hear ya. It looks nice and at <$100.00 I couldn't pass it up. Should be here Monday so I can check the pins for spec.

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 18:31
FF RAILS:

YHM Lightweight Tactical Free Float - Carbine 10.6 oz $99.00
Daniel Defense AR15 Lite Rail Carbine 7 Tactical Free Float 8.5 oz $265.00
Magpul MOE Enhanced Handguard - BLACK 6.2 oz $28.49

Just can't see a FF making that much difference at <300 yards without a sling (and torque) on the barrel. I'd be adding 2.3oz - 4.4oz but also $70.51 - $236.52

alt154shiver
25 July 2009, 18:32
I was unaware that the kit included the buffer. Sounds like a solid build. As for lightweight rails, I have seen a build (I believe here), that used a tubular FF handguard that had short pieces of rail at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions at the front.

I believe the owner was going for an ultralight build with it.

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 18:37
I wonder if that was the JP/VTAC FF rail? It's nice kit for sure, but cost can creep up pretty darn fast I'm finding. I'm really trying to be "realistic" and not buy more than I need for the mission.

If this was going to be a mid/long range gun I'm just buy a Larue or Noveske and be done with it.

3Guns hardest targets are 1MOA and usually never farther than 300 yards.

alt154shiver
25 July 2009, 18:45
I've never shot a 3gun game before. It's always interested me I've just never managed to run out of excuses for myself as to why I haven't. Currently it's a lack of money for ammunition and a handgun that would suffice.

I hear you on the costs. In a former life I built computers for people upon occasion and they would often rocket past the original budget when the future owner realized they could put whatever parts they wanted into it and forget about the original purpose of a home office computer...

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 18:58
Sounds like my own computer builds before I just bought a Mac Powerbook and got work done instead... LOL

Mr.Goodtimes
25 July 2009, 18:59
i would not recommend mounting a BUIS to the front of a magpul handguard, thats not a stable mounting platform at all. I would either keep the standard A2 FSB or mount a flip up BUIS to a free float rail.

When i went from handguards to a FF rail system (larue 11.0) my group sizes went from about 4-5 MOA (with an eotech) to about 2MOA or less... so it can make a pretty signifigant difference.

Stickman
25 July 2009, 19:20
I might go with the MAGPUL flip up front on the end of the MAGPUL forearm then. Short sight radius but not much shorter that the GB setup.

I can just cut the M4 tower down and save on buying another GB that way.

Mounting the front MBUS on a MOE handguard would be a large disappointment for you, it wouldn't work.

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 19:23
yeah i rethought that. I'm going to cut the installed tower down and attach a rail for the F-BUIS.

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 19:31
Stickman,
Just read your MOE review, looks good.

Unrelated Question: "Did you cut the safetywalk tape to fit the MAGPUL mag or does someone sell them already cut? Do you notice better grip with it or is it for looks?

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/0O2P0257-A-1028-Stick.jpg

federalist22
25 July 2009, 19:39
Check out the thread on Rainier's EMG (Enhanced Mag Grip) -

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44

oregonshooter
25 July 2009, 19:46
Dankeshurn!