PDA

View Full Version : New Glock 22 RTF2

JustMatt
4 August 2009, 14:15
Well here is the new Glock frame style. Obviously the changes are the grip texture and slide grooves. I gotta say that the grip texture feels rock solid and the scalloped slide serrations and more aggressive feeling than the old style vertical grooves. This is my first personally owned Glock (department uses the 21) and I hope it is as reliable as everyone says. Didn't get a chance to shoot it yet but will set some time aside on Friday and report back. Any Glock owners out there with some advice as far as anything that needs to be changed out or upgraded? I'm thinking the Glock OEM extended slide catch, XS sights and maybe a metal guide rod (plastic!!!..really Glock, Plastic?). Enjoy the pics.http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/Glock/P1030199.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/Glock/P1030200.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/mjs876/Glock/P1030202.jpg

Stickman
4 August 2009, 14:44
Thanks for the update. I wouldn't change anything if it were me, the possible exception would be if you were used to using the slide lock as a slide release, in which case the longer piece would make sense.

I'm at 99k on my duty Glock, and the stock parts have been chugging along quite nicely. I did a rebuild at the 60k mark simply because I couldn't think of a reason not to.

tac40
4 August 2009, 16:49
Take a look at the Warren Tactical sights or Tru-glo, I used Tru-glo on my G22 and had the Warren Tacitcal sights on the G23. I did put the extended release lever on the G22-just in case but grabbing the slide was the method I was taught to do.

Look at the Larry Vickers mag release, as a lefty shooter, I hated the OEM mag release.

http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-products/glock-mag-catch/

My duty Glock 22 was given a rebuild( springs, recoil rod and spring, pins) by Glock at about the 20K rd mark-5 yrs use. We had some issues come up and Glock had their guys out. Stay with the OEM guide rod, don't use after market.

GMT
4 August 2009, 18:48
Along the same lines as the Warren tactical sights, take a look at the 10-8 sights. I was a big dot guy for a long time, and they served me very well. But I gave up some accuracy at distance with them. The 10-8's seem to be just as quick to acquire, and they allow me to make more precise shots at extended range.

JustMatt
4 August 2009, 21:25
So the jury is in and the verdict is to stick with stock parts except maybe a extended slide catch and sights? Sounds good to me, more money for ammo!

sjohnny
5 August 2009, 06:46
I've had my Glock 23 since 1997 and everything on it is original except I put a stainless guide rod in it about a year or two after I bought it. I have had zero problems with it and have no idea how many thousand rounds I've put through it but I'm sure it's over 10. I felt like my follow up shots were more accurate faster with the stainless guide rod but I can't say whether or not it's the placebo effect.

m24shooter
5 August 2009, 07:06
I used to put Trijis on all mine, but I tried out some Mepro orange/green dots and I really like them. I'm switching all my Glocks over to those.
I have large hands so I like the extended slide releases and Vicker's mag release on mine as well.
I haven't made up my mind on the new grip and serrations yet.

NickDrak
5 August 2009, 09:53
Keep the factory plastic recoil spring/guids rod assembly. hundreds of thousands of Glocks have functioned just fine with them.
While im sure there are manufacturers that make a steel guide rod that functions just as well in a Glock pistol as the factory plastic one does,
the only time I have ever had a Glock malfunction due to a pistol related issue was when I replaced the factory guide rod with an after-market steel one.

As Stickman posted, if you are trained to use the slide stop as a "Slide release lever" then the factory extended slide stop lever is the way to go.
If you are trained to use your support hand to manipulate the slide by grasping it & pulling it to the rear, then leave it alone.

The only thing that needs changing are the factory plastic sights. I prefer Heinie "Straight Eight" tritium sights.

5 August 2009, 22:23
Well here is the new Glock frame style. Obviously the changes are the grip texture and slide grooves. I gotta say that the grip texture feels rock solid...
Agree 100% about the new grip texture. For me, it's a vast improvement over the old texture. The new slide serration does nothing for me. My next Glock will be the 17RTF, unless they come out with the 19RTF.[BD]

JustMatt
7 August 2009, 05:55
Headed to the range to break her in today, i'll post back with my opinions later tonight.***never made it to the range and I had surgery on my ear yesterday so I can wear any ear protection. Looks like I won't be breaking her in for another week or so :( Oh, well.

Policetacteam
28 August 2009, 19:49
I would have to agree with switching to the Vickers mag release. It is the perfect length. Not quite as long as the other aftermarket releases but just longer than the OEM version. The rounded edges are also much nicer!

JustMatt
13 September 2009, 08:37
So I finally got to the range to shoot my new G22 RTF, the doc really butchered my ear up so I couldn't wear ear protection for a month. I gotta say that I like it alot. It shot just like my department's issued .45's. A couple things I noted that I would like to change - probably gonna do the factory extended slide release and the Vickers extended mag release. And there will definetly be some aftermarket sights going on it. I noticed that at 7 yds I was dead on accurate (this is the first time I shot the gun) but at 15 and 25 yards I was low and left by about 6-8 inches. Any ideas? I'm not new to striker fired pistols but I used to carry a SIG 226 as my personal weapon. I don't have any issues at all with my G23 for work. Overall I would say I am much happier with the G22 than I was with the Springfield XDm but I do miss my SIG226. I'll just have to pick up another one!

tac40
8 October 2009, 06:57
Right handed shooter? Trigger control, slapping trigger? Releasing & tighting grip/finger between shots? Too much finger tip on trigger? Anticipating shot? Same point of aim?

JustMatt
19 October 2009, 17:24
Yes, right handed shooter. I don't think I slap the trigger but I will def be aware of some of the other things you mentioned next time I shoot. Thanks for the tips.

Paulo_Santos
19 October 2009, 17:53
For eight handed shooters, it is very common to shoot to the left. As a firearm's instructor, I really don't like giving out this type of advice as it goes against a lot of things that have been taught about the trigger finger, but it worked for me and a couple of my co-workers.

We have been taught not to place too much trigger finger on the trigger. That is fine and dandy if we were all built the same. I use to pull my shots to the left and I used to have a hard time shooting with a flashlight. But I always qualified in the high 90's. A while ago I took my brother in law to the range with my issued M&P .45 and we were shooting at small bullseye targets at 7 yards. I was hitting 5 or 6 out of 10 while he was nailing 10 put of 10. So I started paying attention to what he was doing different and the thing I noticed was that he had too much finger on the trigger. I asked him why he placed so much finger in the trigger and he said that is what is comfortable to him and allows him to pull the trigger straight back. So I gave it a try and decided to place my finger on the trigger where it felt most comfortable. I practiced pulling the trigger and noticed that when I pulled the trigger, I was no longer pulling left. For me, the trigger rests very close to the first joint. My brother in law, who has monstor hands likes the trigger on the joint. Needles to say, I'm no longer pulling my shots left.

At work, when I help out the guys that are constantly shooting left, I teach them the same thing and it has worked every time. If you are shooting low left, it is most likely a combination of what I just wrote and you are probably anticipating the recoil. What I tell everyone is just to try it. If it doesn't help, then go back to the way you were shooting and check something else. Do you place your thumbs alongside the weapon or do you cross your thumbs?

Sorry for the long post.

JustMatt
20 October 2009, 13:13
I keep my thumbs in line with each other on the left side of the slide. I usually make a effort to keep my sausage fingers out of the trigger as much as possible. Maybe I'm trying to hard to not have to much finger on the trigger? I'll try that out when I hit the range next. Thanks for the input.