PDA

View Full Version : Which 2 stage trigger?

sobebu2z
11 August 2009, 16:17
I know there are many 2 stage trigger option out there to chose from. Best ATM is Geissele trigger. My dilema is that I cannot justify myself spend $ 280 (x2) for it, so now I've narrow my decision down to RRA or LMT, I just want to know if anyone has any experience with these triggers and which set do you recommend.

My set up are:
POF .308 20'' as my SASS

Noveske 16.1 recon 5.56

Stickman
11 August 2009, 16:56
Why eliminate the Geiselle SSA?

jester
11 August 2009, 17:13
+1 on the Geisselle SSA. I'm very glad I waited for one.

I have no personal experience with the other 2...but my second choice was going to be the RRA tweaked by Adco. http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=1738

sobebu2z
11 August 2009, 17:33
I've tried the SSA (just not on my rifle) and im not a fan, the second stage have more creep than I expected and w/o the option for adjustment . I just want a clean break and a lighter pull on the second stage. Preferably a match. My other option is just wait it out and get the Geissele Hi-Speed Trigger in 6 months :(

I also forgot to mention that I currently have the armalite 2 stage adjustable trigger on both of them ATM.

Stickman
11 August 2009, 21:59
I have the LMT and RRA, but I can't help but wonder if you tried a scratchy SSA. I have one, and love it. It cleaned up with shooting (quickly cleaned up), and most importantly for me, its a trigger that I trust.

Given these two choices, I would go with the LMT over the RRA, primarily for durability reasons.

rob_s
12 August 2009, 03:52
there is an excellent thread on ADCO's section of ar15.com where he compares various brands of two-stage triggers. After reading that and looking at the pictures of the various types the SSA was a no-brainer, and I now have two of them.

Stickman
12 August 2009, 13:12
He is a good guy, and quite knowledgeable.

5pins
12 August 2009, 17:52
I wouldn’t think you would see much of an improvement, if any, over the triggers you have in them now.

OfcPowder
12 August 2009, 21:00
My dilema is that I cannot justify myself spend $ 280 (x2) for it

Someone once told me - Life's too short for cheap stuff. If you're gonna plunk some bucks, just save a little longer and get what you really want.

I myself am looking at the 2 stage triggers - I played with Sticks' and had never used one before. I was an instant fan.

federalist22
13 August 2009, 02:14
Here's a good example of going cheap vs. quality........a $140 lesson.

I recently started a build and wanted a good match trigger, but I also wanted an ambi-safety, so I ordered a Bushmaster 2-stage, adjustable 3 to 4-lb. competition trigger with the ambi-safety = $150 w/ shipping. Well, turns out I did not like the way the ambi-safety fit or the way the trigger system needed to be configured.

The long and short of this is that I forked out another $223 + shipping to Rainier for a Timney AR-15 3-lb. trigger because I wanted quality.

This is not to say that the Bushmaster trigger is not quality, but I should have purchased what I wanted the first time. I have two other rifles with 2-stage triggers, both are RRA and I guess I figured the Bushmaster would feel the same--close, but not quite.

When selecting the trigger, do the research and "buy once" like the old woodworking adage of "measure twice, cut once".

Eric
13 August 2009, 12:55
This is not to say that the Bushmaster trigger is not quality ". Okay...I'll say it. It's not. Don't bother with the Bushmaster variety.

Ryo
15 August 2009, 21:23
All my rifles run with Geissele DMR or Service 2 stage. I've tried the SSA and it's very good too. Especially for one that's not adjustable. I would really pony up for the SSA if cost is your issue. It's reliable, and has a good trigger pull.

I use to have a RRA 2 stage and I thought it was a good trigger for the range.

TehLlama
15 August 2009, 21:30
SSA >> All else, if only one will be it. Worth the price/wait - your call.

LMT, or a WOA retouched RRA would be my next bet. I loved my RRA, but the GSSA replaced, and is noticeably slightly better.

If you want to run a .22 or 9mm off that lower, then the CMMG 2-Stage is your best bet. I run my wife's with a .22 kit, and it's flawless all around.

My Timney 3lb is a great space-trigger of a single stage. It feels like a stupidly touchy 1911 trigger, and I love my LB's 1911 trigger. I limit it to match gun use.

As you can see, I've done many, many triggers. The GSSA is worth the money if it's your only lower. LMT would be ideal for a work gun if you need it now. CMMG makes a flexible one.

Ryo
15 August 2009, 22:18
Oh good thing to mention the CMMG..

Totally forgot about that one. I have one of those and I think it's slightly better than the stock RRA. Don't know how they would perform against the WOA, but I've heard the WOA mod on the RRA is pretty good.

federalist22
16 August 2009, 03:02
Okay...I'll say it. It's not. Don't bother with the Bushmaster variety.

I was trying to be opinionated, but since I have not actually fired this rifle yet, I figured it was best to not offend------but yes, I thought it was crap when I compared it to the RRA's I have and now that I have a Timney to replace it, I know what I have.

JustMatt
16 August 2009, 05:50
Any opinions on the Wilson Combat trigger?

federalist22
16 August 2009, 14:58
IF you are going to go that route, a Timney will probably meet your requirement for a little less $$.

slashsplat
23 August 2009, 18:33
I use a Geisselle 2 stage on an LR308, JP's on a couple of others, and an AR-Gold on one. I just bought a second AR-Gold. Simply the BEST trigger I have ever used.

Forget stages and stuff, this thing simply disappears. It is the trigger that you forget exists. You go to shoot, and the next thing you know, boom, and the bullet goes where you want. I cannot explain what they did, but I will tell you that this is hands-down the best trigger I have ever used. I shoot High Power and trigger is critical. I shot 95 of 100 yesterday at 300 yards, on a new rifle with one - never shot it before - different sling, sights, stock, and ammo.

WELL WORTH the money.

If you want a BARGAIN, Bill Springfield will rework your existing triggers for less than $50 each and they will be 85% of a $280 trigger... He has done 6 for me and they are great.

uspopo
24 August 2009, 07:31
+1 on the Geissele SSA, got one in my Larue Stealth 18/13.2 and LWRC M6A2..

Eric
24 August 2009, 07:47
I use a Geisselle 2 stage on an LR308, JP's on a couple of others, and an AR-Gold on one. I just bought a second AR-Gold. Simply the BEST trigger I have ever used.

Forget stages and stuff, this thing simply disappears. It is the trigger that you forget exists. You go to shoot, and the next thing you know, boom, and the bullet goes where you want. . So it sounds like you're describing a very light trigger in the AR Gold? I'm curious, as I have not spent any time with one. Has yours proven to be reliable?

I wouldn't consider installing a specialized light trigger in any type of LE/Mil/Defensive weapon, but it sounds like it may have potential elsewhere.

erik
28 August 2009, 10:04
Any opinions on the Wilson Combat trigger?
The single-stage version of their trigger feels exactly like a bolt rifle with a glass-like break as expected. I haven't had a chance to try their two-stage version. I would expect it to feel very much like a 1911.

Construction is typical Wilson quality. Of all the drop-in triggers I've used or had my hands on, the Wilson unit seemed the most durable by far.

In the end I wound up with a Geissele SSA. I just couldn't warm up to a single-stage lightweight trigger on a door-kicking AR. I much prefer the weight of the SSA. It's like having the reliability of a GI trigger with (close to) the break of a match trigger.

If you want a match-grade drop-in unit, definitely give the Wilson a try. If you're looking for a battle-ready trigger then get a Geissele.

Sak007
28 August 2009, 13:34
If you want a nice trigger & don't wanna spend big bucks get a Bill Springfield trigger job. I have 3 of his 4lb triggers all of them excellent.
http://triggerwork.net/index.html

JustMatt
2 September 2009, 04:43
I got no real need for a match trigger and would rather have a tuned up 'combat' trigger. Probably go with the Springfield trigger job until I can scrape the cash for a Geissele.

rob_s
2 September 2009, 04:59
My Springfield trigger doubled on me. Took it out of the gun. Cheap for a reason IMHO.

JustMatt
2 September 2009, 06:15
Then maybe I should take the $50 and just put it torwards a Geissele. Nobody seems to have a bad thing to say about them.

rob_s
2 September 2009, 06:27
To be fair, I haven't contacted him about it. Everyone says he'll "tell you how to fix it". I just don't care enough about it to pursue it. I'm kind of a "hey, this POS don't work, let's throw it in the trash" kind of a guy. I like to tinker, but I don't like to be forced to tinker. Mag don't work? trash it. Trigger doubles? take it out of the gun. Gun doesn't function? sell it. etc.

I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the customer service of most of the companies I deal with because I choose companies which get it right the first time and negate much of the need for any customer service after the sale.

Eric
2 September 2009, 20:05
For the most part, if the stock trigger is reworked there is a good chance that it's going to experience problems eventually. I would not trust one in a duty/defensive weapon.

TehLlama
5 September 2009, 09:43
I realize I'm no help, but the SSA's are great (and in stock at BravoCo), and I also love my Timney 3# for that application.

For the price, those two are nearly impossible to beat.

CarlosDJackal
19 September 2009, 08:56
I have the Bushmaster, Chip McCormick, and Geisselle SSA triggers and I can say that so far I like the Geisselle SSA best. Not only does it work as advertised, it gives me the most confidence for use in a fighting rifle because it has least moving parts of the three. YMMV.

Eric
30 January 2010, 23:45
In the true spirit trying something for myself, I sent off a trigger group to Bill Springfield for the 4 lb trigger job. The result was an unsafe trigger that failed the function check. On trigger reset, the hammer consistently continued forward, which would result in doubling or worse. It was indeed a smoother and lighter trigger pull, but kind of a moot point since it was unusable. A standard FCG went back in.

My results essentially duplicated Rob's. I too did not chat with Bill about it, as I didn't want to take the time to screw around with it any longer. I have seen trigger jobs fail before and this just solidifies my opinion that altering the factory FCG is a bad idea.

knguye11
2 February 2010, 11:23
I have the LMT 2-stage trigger on my Defender lower for the past 3 years. Over 3K rounds and still work like day one. Unless you doing matches, LMT is good for range or training.

NavyDavy
21 February 2010, 08:13
I have a Geiselle SSA in one of my AR's and really like it.

I'll buy another one for my next build.