PDA

View Full Version : AAC and rumors of Cerberus

Stickman
25 August 2009, 08:55
EDITED- This rumor has been laid to rest, AAC has stated they have nto been purchased by anyone.

Take a look at the DR link for a little more info.

http://www.defensereview.com/rumor-mill-did-cerburus-just-acquire-silencersound-suppressor-company-advanced-armament-corp-aac-for-40-million-40m/

rob_s
25 August 2009, 10:50
Not sure what to think about that, if true. While I would hope that something like this would decrease lag times and internet shenanigans, as well as possibly bring things like ISO 9000 compliance (for what that's worth), it would also probably impact some of their "lifestyle" marketing tactics.

I'd laugh myself unconscious if it was true and the "Branded for Life" thing was dropped by the new parent.

nitehawk1946
25 August 2009, 12:21
Interesting...AAC must have a number of Patents that Cerberus views as $$$$...since that is what Cerberus has done via other acquisitions over the years.

stealth
25 August 2009, 21:45
The DefenseReview page was updated stating they were able to confirm Cerberus has NOT acquired Advanced Armament Corp. with AAC owner Kevin Brittingham.

I am hoping the rumors are untrue. I would hate to see AAC's brand diluted.

Army Chief
26 August 2009, 01:42
There is simply too much going on behind the scenes to speak definitively; however, we can apparently glean that Cerebrus has taken some kind of interest in AAC, be it passing or otherwise. That only makes sense, given their involvement in so many closely-related ventures.

Mr. Brittingham has refuted claims that any buyout agreement has been reached. So noted. That said, it might be a step too far on our part to infer that negotiations might not be ongoing. Those of us on the operational end of the spectrum tend to view all of this in terms of brand loyalty and known commodities, but we would do well to remember that AAC is a business -- and business decisions are rarely that sentimental.

An infusion of new capital and the opportunity to expand into full-scale military contract production would certainly be appealing to a business owner like Mr. Brittingham, provided that acceptable terms could be reached. I was just reading this morning about how Samuel Colt built his empire doing very much the same thing. These kinds of deals aren't always a bad news story, even today.

True, it remains to be seen what kind of "deal with the devil" Magpul made with the Masada project, but (nonavailability notwithstanding) this hasn't yet proved disasterous; if anything, I think we've been given cause for some cautious optimism.

Perhaps AAC will choose to follow a similar path. Perhaps not. All we can really do it wait ...

... and buy more suppressors. :)

AC

Stickman
26 August 2009, 08:32
If nothing else, it was certainly attention getting. Much like AC commented, I don't see that it would be a particularly bad thing if it had been done correctly. Had Kevin and his team stayed running things, the Cerberus name would have been enhanced while AAC would have drawn in additional capabilities.

I don't tend to think "corporate", so I'm sure there are large portions I'm missing.

nitehawk1946
26 August 2009, 11:32
Cerberus already has Bushmaster. Perhaps AAC will compliment their forward planning. I too gave up on the "Corporate Thinking"! Still interesting to watch some of the deals that go down now and the various players involved.

Stickman
26 August 2009, 14:34
If Cerberus is looking to continue on it their firearm development, getting a suppressor company as well as a few accessory manufacturers would certainly make sense.

rob_s
28 August 2009, 08:28
Something I posted on their forum

The way I see it, the sticker/patch collectors, leg-humpers, and "branded for life" participants would be upset by this as it affects the "lifestyle" that the AAC advertising campaign has so effectively worked to portray and that they so excitedly want to be part of. Those that own, or are interested in owning, suppressors would be more likely to be happy by such a takeover.

This is sure to offend those that should be offended by it.

While I know the rumor has now been debunked, as someone that has long had an interest in the products but was less than thrilled by the corporate antics and the Harley-esque lifestyle campaign as well as the ridiculous lead times and poor product management, I would have loved for this to have been true.

Army Chief
28 August 2009, 10:11
You are not entirely alone, Rob.

AC

stealth
31 August 2009, 08:18
Wall Street Journal reports investors in hedge funds run by Cerberus Capital Management LP are bolting for the door:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125148681701267563.html

nitehawk1946
31 August 2009, 10:15
Sometimes the "Bigger" they are the "Harder" they fall!

TehLlama
5 September 2009, 10:00
Wall Street Journal reports investors in hedge funds run by Cerberus Capital Management LP are bolting for the door:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125148681701267563.html

Keep in mind that when our gracious federal overlords decided to 'bail out' the automotive sector, the two major areas to lose out where Chrysler and the GMAC funding wing - both of which got completely hosed so that the UAW and US Taxpayer could become majority holders.
Their previous capital: Cerberus. The best investment Cerberus has made in recent months: guns.

CCK
5 October 2009, 17:31
Pushing this back up to the top as it looks like its happening!

thefirearmblog.com

federalist22
5 October 2009, 17:55
Remington purchased AAC......? Just got this from Lightfighter post linking to the article here----------http://www.tactical-life.com/online/news/remington-purchases-aac/?hp=news_title

Also, ref to it on AAC's blog--http://www.aacblog.com/

nitehawk1946
6 October 2009, 07:29
Makes you wonder what Cerberus holdings in Reminton are?

sjohnny
6 October 2009, 09:33
Makes you wonder what Cerberus holdings in Reminton are?

I thought Cerberus owned Remington?

Stickman
7 October 2009, 13:06
Pushing this back up to the top as it looks like its happening!

thefirearmblog.com

Indeed it did happen. The problem with the rumor was that it was information which was not ready to be released at that time.

CCK
7 October 2009, 18:38
Just an observation here, but have you guys noticed how the press release says "Remington" and not Cerberus? Haven't all previous acquisitions been under either "the freedom group" or Cerberus?

What conclusions should be drawn?

Chris

John Hwang
10 October 2009, 08:54
Why can't they buy me out? :)