PDA

View Full Version : What next?

Rated21R
27 August 2009, 04:08
So I have been picking up bits and pieces while deployed to Iraq and I just got myself a MUR upper and I was wondering what I should get next? A lower, a barrel, not sure. It's going to be my all around, HD, paper puncher, carbine class rifle (but i also have been debating making it a 12.5 SBR [:D]).

bkb0000
27 August 2009, 10:12
sounds like the next step is to decide what kind of weapon this is gonna be! you can build anything from a 24" supermatch to a 10.5 ultra-light CQB... if you buy right, a 12.5 SBR can accomplish all of the above- HD, classes, target shooting. a 12.5 N4S with a 'cog will cover everything from 1-400m+... wont ever regret it.

i, too, have been debating the SBR question. i finally concluded that it doesn't really matter what barrel length to go with- i don't adhere to "Constructive-intent," so i have no problem building multiple uppers for one SBR. i'll try to start with a 10.5, and move up till i get back to 14.5- only this time i won't be welding the stupid vortex on! man, that'll be nice.

Stickman
27 August 2009, 10:36
Without a doubt, I would go with the lower next. SBR it if possible, and from there everything else is simple. Get the paperwork parts out of the way first.

bigcoastie
27 August 2009, 12:52
I'd have to agree on a lower as well. Spike's tactical is running a special on their lowers right now for 89.95$ I got one about a month or so ago and really can't say enough good things about their quality, mine was complete and everything is incredible. Very smooth controls (trigger, safety, etc.) and the finish was beatiful for the price I don't think you can get a better deal

nitehawk1946
27 August 2009, 16:14
Concur! Go for the lower. Some decent prices out there now compared to several months ago.

Mr.Goodtimes
27 August 2009, 17:13
spikes builds great stuff! my spikes upper has been 100%, i cant say enough good things about it.

on a side note, and not to get off topic... i wonder why spikes is running a special on some of their lowers? 90 bucks is cheap! i hope their not fixin to go outta business.

bigcoastie
27 August 2009, 18:02
From what I've heard Spike's has been doing a lot of business lately and it has driven down the price they pay so they are able to sell for cheaper.

bkb0000
27 August 2009, 21:46
i'm new here, and haven't yet figured out the climate... so i'll hold my tongue on my opinion of Spike's and just say: there's a lot of really good prices on a lot of really good lowers. since you're stuck with whatever you SBR, it's kind of cool to get something unique- MEGA's 7075-t6 billet lowers are a really good value at $170

Rated21R
27 August 2009, 22:36
So, if I go the SBR route (which I am pretty sure I will) I order my lower and then start the paperwork for the stamp using the serial number of the lower, correct?

I think I will save my pennies for a Noveske Crusader and go that route, I have heard nothing but good things. Thanks all for the help.

Oh by the way this will be my do everything rifle (paper puncher, carbine class, HD, etc.) thanks again for the input.

bigcoastie
28 August 2009, 04:39
Yeah in the case of an SBR the lower is the NFA item

jeeves915
28 August 2009, 04:40
The reason I heard that Spike's is clearing out lowers is that they are switching to a new provider for their forgings that they make lowers out of. They want to get rid of all the ones from the old maker before putting the new ones into the market.

The RUMOR is that the new one will be sourced from Mega. However, this doesn't mean that the current ones are a bad deal. I bought 3 myself...lol!
-Adam