PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ASAP, Ranger plates....

WileyCoyote
2 September 2009, 23:28
Do you have to have a gunsmith put this on a rifle or is it easy as pie. I know I may sound naive or dumb but I'm knew to the AR(blackrifle) world and need all the help and advice I can get. Thanks

Are the Magpul Ranger Plates worth buying or are they merely a personal preference item?

Thanks

rebelEMPIRE
3 September 2009, 02:00
Generally, everything about the AR platform is easy to install or remove. The only thing of major concern is having the necessary tools to do it. As the saying goes: The right tool, for the right job.

AR magazines for the most part can be assembled and disassembled in seconds. Although I have no experience with Magpul's Ranger floor plates, I imagine them to be no more difficult than your standard floor plates.

As for the ASAP, it may or may not be difficult depending on if your current one on your rifle has been staked or not. If it is staked, breaking loose the castle nut will require some extra muscle, if not, it should come off easily--you will need an AR armorer's tool, which you can find anywhere. I got mine from BCM for $35 and it works great. It's not the prettiest one out there, but it gets the job done. Just remember that when you put the castle nut back on, don't reef on the thing. 40 INCH/LBS should be plenty enough.

Put a torque mark on if you don't plan on staking it (to watch for loosening of the nut over time, but that's unlikely if you are not abusing it).

-rebelEMPIRE

WileyCoyote
3 September 2009, 10:50
Generally, everything about the AR platform is easy to install or remove. The only thing of major concern is having the necessary tools to do it. As the saying goes: The right tool, for the right job.

AR magazines for the most part can be assembled and disassembled in seconds. Although I have no experience with Magpul's Ranger floor plates, I imagine them to be no more difficult than your standard floor plates.

As for the ASAP, it may or may not be difficult depending on if your current one on your rifle has been staked or not. If it is staked, breaking loose the castle nut will require some extra muscle, if not, it should come off easily--you will need an AR armorer's tool, which you can find anywhere. I got mine from BCM for $35 and it works great. It's not the prettiest one out there, but it gets the job done. Just remember that when you put the castle nut back on, don't reef on the thing. 40 INCH/LBS should be plenty enough.

Put a torque mark on if you don't plan on staking it (to watch for loosening of the nut over time, but that's unlikely if you are not abusing it).

-rebelEMPIRE

Thank you much appreciated. Do you have a link to BCM? Thanks again.

spamsammich
3 September 2009, 10:55
bravocompanyusa.com