PDA

View Full Version : Flash Suppressors???

WileyCoyote
4 September 2009, 20:04
I just purchased an LWRC M6A3 and I am new to this field which is a good flash suppressor to go with? What do you want in a flash suppressor? Does it come down to personal preference and the look you want?

Thanks

Army Chief
5 September 2009, 01:52
Flash suppressor selection is not really about looks: it is about function, as different products are designed to provide different performance characteristics.

I would categorize them rather informally into four camps, according to basic purpose:

1. Flash suppression - the typical A2, Smith Vortex, old three-prong, YMH Phantom, and most versions of contemporary designs like the AAC Blackout fall into this category. The idea here is simply to reduce muzzle flash to the greatest degree possible so as to minimize the visible signature of the weapon when fired. This is less important in competition or on the range, but vitally important in tactical settings (i.e. combat) for obvious reasons. Some units are also designed with varying lengths, to enable the use of shorter barrels in non-NFA weapons.

2. Recoil reduction/compensation - think muzzle brakes like the PWS FSC556 and hybrids like the new Rainier XTC here. The purpose of a brake is to soften the recoil pulse and minimize lateral excursions when the weapon is fired to enable faster follow-up shots. Brakes can be an annoyance to those around you because of the manner in which they disperse the blast, but they work well for their intended purposes.

3. Blast redirection - Noveske's "Krink" (KX3) is probably the best example of this, but these tend to be built for very short-barreled carbines, and their main purpose is to redirect the muzzle flash/blast downrange. In that sense, they are built to minimize the noise and concussive effect to neighboring shooters.

4. Sound suppression/mount - Most of these are simply flash suppressors with quick attachment points, lugs, threads or other provisions for mounting a silencer/suppressor. Again, the AAC Blackout would be an excellent example of this kind of flash suppressor.

I would probably recommend that you take a look at this thread (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524) to get a better sense for what is out there, and which might best meet your specific needs. When in doubt, a basic flash hider like the Vortex is often a great choice.

AC

rebelEMPIRE
5 September 2009, 02:13
Well put, Army Chief.

Most AR's owned by civilians will experience conditions which may never warrant actual combat use. As such, it's more practical to use a Brake/Compensator muzzle device. As stated above, because a brake will force the blast in a reward direction (to resist in the reward movement of your weapon) you will feel more concussion. One shot at a time might not be such a problem, but if you are continuously firing, it may throw you off a bit. However, over the course of time, you may get used to the affects from exposure.

Of course, if you're planning on actually seeing some combat with your weapon, flash suppression is probably the best way to go.

Lastly, sound suppression treads into NFA territory; if you don't ever plan on getting a sound suppressor, there really isn't a need to look into it. Although I would reserve this for your next build or somewhere after you've accustomed yourself with the AR platform comfortably.

-rebelEMPIRE