PDA

View Full Version : Trigger? Stage 2??

WileyCoyote
4 September 2009, 20:07
I just received my LWRC M6A3 but havent been able to shoot it yet. My question is do I stick with the stock trigger it came with or so I want to invest in a stage 2 trigger like a Geisele? Does it boil down to what you like and how you want your trigger to perform? I hate to sound naive but I'm new to this game and need all the help and advice I can get.

Thanks

rebelEMPIRE
5 September 2009, 00:04
You're in the right place. It's always good to ask questions before you pursue anything pricey (such as a 2 stage trigger).

In my opinion, stick with your stock trigger and get used to it. Once you are comfortable with it, try out a 2 stage trigger and see how you like that. You won't appreciate a 2 stage until you know where you're coming from.

Additionally, I prefer the stock trigger because it has less parts involved. You have to keep in mind that any time you add more moving parts a mechanical system is more likely to fail--and it always fails when you need it most. In stressful situations, a single stage might be optimal for you, but in competitions, a 2 stage, where you can sort of take your time and feel the pull and release of the hammer is more beneficial.

In the end, it's really a matter of what you want and like. I chose to stick with the stock trigger because of reliability and ease of use.

-rebelEMPIRE

TehLlama
5 September 2009, 09:59
If you can make hits and shoot to your ability with a stock trigger, it's stupid to change it, not to mention expensive.
Definitely shoot it stock for a while, and make sure it works. Find out what the limits of it are, then decide if you're better served shelling out a $120-$180 for a better trigger (CMMG/RRA/LMT up to the GSSA) or spending that money instead on more ammunition and magazines (almost always the smarter choice)

WileyCoyote
5 September 2009, 14:26
You're in the right place. It's always good to ask questions before you pursue anything pricey (such as a 2 stage trigger).

In my opinion, stick with your stock trigger and get used to it. Once you are comfortable with it, try out a 2 stage trigger and see how you like that. You won't appreciate a 2 stage until you know where you're coming from.

Additionally, I prefer the stock trigger because it has less parts involved. You have to keep in mind that any time you add more moving parts a mechanical system is more likely to fail--and it always fails when you need it most. In stressful situations, a single stage might be optimal for you, but in competitions, a 2 stage, where you can sort of take your time and feel the pull and release of the hammer is more beneficial.

In the end, it's really a matter of what you want and like. I chose to stick with the stock trigger because of reliability and ease of use.

-rebelEMPIRE

Thank you for the information. I will shoot it stock for awhile then look into the Geissele Hi-Speed 2 stage trigger. I've been reading up on those triggers and I really like them. But before spending $280 on a trigger I will put some rounds through my stock trigger. Thanks again

WileyCoyote
5 September 2009, 14:28
If you can make hits and shoot to your ability with a stock trigger, it's stupid to change it, not to mention expensive.
Definitely shoot it stock for a while, and make sure it works. Find out what the limits of it are, then decide if you're better served shelling out a $120-$180 for a better trigger (CMMG/RRA/LMT up to the GSSA) or spending that money instead on more ammunition and magazines (almost always the smarter choice)

Thanks for you comments. I will buy some ammo and more mags. Right now I only have 5 Magpul PMAGS so I will probably need more. And I'm looking at buying 1000 rounds of PRVI Partisan 62gr and maybe 500 rounds of their 69gr ammo as well. Maybe some M855 ammo too I hear good things about it.

TehLlama
7 September 2009, 19:25
You won't be disappointed with a pile of PMags and a brick of HPBT and/or M855 from PRVI.

I went out and bought triggers first - it's taken me nearly 1500 rounds to fully appreciate and be able to make paper improvements over the stock one. Finally bought a dozen more PMags, and ammunition to expend: Cheaper, smarter to it the other way around.
Leaving the range with a pile of brass and a stupid grin has its perks too.