PDA

View Full Version : Best way to learn everything I can about the AR rifle

WileyCoyote
4 September 2009, 20:11
I am new to the AR world and just purchased a LWRC M6A3 and need all the help and advice I can get. I know little to nothing except what I read here in these forums but still I feel in the dark because I dont understand all the terms and jargon that yall write. Is there videos or books I can get? I dont understand when you guys are talking about what you like and things you are looking for and how you want your rifles to perform?

Thanks

m24shooter
4 September 2009, 21:02
Three things that come to mind immediately are Green Eyes, Black Rifles by Lamb, The M4/16 Handbook by Pannone, and The Art Of The Tactical Carbine from Magpul. First two are books the last is a DVD set.

For a good basis of knowledge check Pannone's book. It is kind of a better version of the operator's manual with plenty of graphics and basic info. It is much better than the basic .mil manual on the system and puts info from several places all in one location. Lamb's GEBR has some more advanced stuff in it, but covers a lot of basic system info and what to look for as well. Maintenance, components, costs/benefits of different items, and usage are covered. The DVD set is kind of a highlight reel from a tactical carbine course that can help you out once you've got the basics down. A good carbine course in person is where you ultimately want to go.

Look at some of the stickies here and at M4Cnet. Stay focused on the tech stuff and read a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions here if you don't know something. Nobody hit the ground knowing everything about the carbine and everybody has to start somewhere.

Check here as well if you haven't already:
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022

rob_s
5 September 2009, 04:42
Normally I'd also recommend the Marine Corps. manual as well as the two books mentioned above, but since you have a piston gun only so much of that is going to be applicable.

Stickman
5 September 2009, 11:38
I am new to the AR world and just purchased a LWRC M6A3 and need all the help and advice I can get. I know little to nothing except what I read here in these forums but still I feel in the dark because I dont understand all the terms and jargon that yall write. Is there videos or books I can get? I dont understand when you guys are talking about what you like and things you are looking for and how you want your rifles to perform?

Thanks

This board has a lot of guys who run a gun for a living (myself included), and at times we slip into verbiage that we are comfortable with. There is no reason to exclude yourself from asking questions, or making comments. We would MUCH rather have someone ask a question than to see that person post information that they read somewhere online.

In general, you won't see information posted here unless guys are certain that the info is legit. I typically won't post a comment unless its something I have first and knowledge of, the exceptions are few, and I make it a point to ensure that its from someone I know and trust, and I'll post that so there is no question about the source.

Again, if you see something you don't understand, all you need to do is ask.

MILEO440
9 September 2009, 05:39
I just finished reading green eyes and black rifles yesterday... Great book i suggest it for all.

HS2
9 September 2009, 18:45
This board has a lot of guys who run a gun for a living (myself included), and at times we slip into verbiage that we are comfortable with. There is no reason to exclude yourself from asking questions, or making comments. We would MUCH rather have someone ask a question than to see that person post information that they read somewhere online.

In general, you won't see information posted here unless guys are certain that the info is legit. I typically won't post a comment unless its something I have first and knowledge of, the exceptions are few, and I make it a point to ensure that its from someone I know and trust, and I'll post that so there is no question about the source.

Again, if you see something you don't understand, all you need to do is ask.

Coyote, this is the best sight to learn about ARs... the people here are knowledgable and professional. No one is going to flame you for asking questions.

btw, check out the section on acronyms... it will help a lot with the abbreviations folks use.

Brian Brazier
12 September 2009, 23:13
I bought the Midway AR-15 DVD, it helped me tremendously, it teaches you how to build and AR from parts and how to modify, for a visual learner it is perfect A+