PDA

View Full Version : New to forum - new M&P15T

Deaj
4 September 2009, 21:23
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and just recently took delivery of my first AR in more than 20 years. I sold my last, a Colt A2 HBAR, in 1988 and I've regretted doing so ever since. Over the last few years I've been casually researching and shopping for an AR. I gave some thought to building one but decided against it for the time being. I chose to purchase a Smith & Wesson M&P15T based on many positive experiences with S&W's in the past and many positive remarks from M&P15 owners. I purchased my 15T from an out of state dealer for $1,150 - $1,209 after shipping and FFL transfer fee. That equates to a local purchase price of $1,100 plus sales tax. My M&P15T arrived this past Monday. I'm heading off to the range in the morning to begin the break-in.

Here are a couple of pics:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/15T_grip_01.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/15T_grip_02.jpg

Beaux
5 September 2009, 04:54
Great looking AR! I too was a noobie last year and purchased my first "package" AR 10 months ago, a Stag 2TL lefty. What ever you do, DON'T start building them, it's addictive. I now have 5 in the safe and 4 of them are builds and yes, I have a couple right handers now!

Stickman
5 September 2009, 11:30
Looks like a nice setup, my duty carbine is somewhat similar.

Deaj
5 September 2009, 14:18
Thanks guys, I'm happy with it! We (my boy, my wife, an I ) just returned home from the range. The 15 and 25 yard ranges were deserted. Everyone's zero'ing their hunting rifles this weekend so it was difficult to get a slot at 50 or 100 yards. We grabbed a slot at 100 yards just before we left and ran the first 100 rounds through the M&P. The iron sites are just a little off - about 3 inches high and 2 inches left at 100 yards. The red dot will require a bit more adjustment - it's about 9 inches low and 2.5 inches left at 100 yards. All three of us showed very consistent results with all shots placed within a 4 inch group in the same area high and left as described above. I'll have a spotting scope with me next trip out and dial the irons and red dot in. This was mostly a functional test and a dent in the break-in. 100 rounds won't tell you too much but, as expected, there were no failures of any kind.

The trigger on this particular carbine is much nicer than the M&P's and other production AR's I handled while shopping over the last few years exhibiting very little creep, no stacking, and a crisp predictable break. Considering that this will be a target gun for me I'd thought that I might invest in a better trigger once I selected and purchased the gun. That won't be necessary - I really like this trigger and it will only get smoother with use. Nice!

MILEO440
9 September 2009, 05:45
I purchased a S&W m&p 15t for my first AR about 3 months ago now. I have loved every minute i had spent with it. as you noted the triger feels very nice. I love the flip sights although I need to get an EOtech for it. my weapon is more accurate than I am. I have all magpul p-mags with ranger plates, love them. have fun with the weapon it will serve you well. I trust mine to allow me to go home every morning.