PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and rifles

tracksol
5 September 2009, 09:21
I'd like to take the time to say hello to everyone. I've been browsing the forum for a few months now and finally decided to create an account. I was originally brought here by Stickman's excellent pictures and have stuck around because of the pleasantness of you all. I'm in the USAF, going on 12 years now, and currently deployed to Afghanistan. Shortly before my deployment I made my first firearm purchase, a new Beretta 92FS Police Special. I chose it because for the next 8 years that is the sidearm that I will most likely be issued so I wanted to get the same weapon so I can practice on my own time and because I like its design. Also before my departure, I was diagnosed with BRD and decided to build an AR rifle. I bought a Denny's Guns stripped lower and DPMS LPK in time to get it assembled before I deployed. Over the past few months, as budget allows I have been buying the parts to complete my rifle and having it shipped to my friend's house who has a gun safe. I originally thought I was going to make an M16A4 USMC replica, but decided against it to build a carbine. So far I've purchased the following parts:

BCM Mil-Spec carbine receiver extension tube, spring and buffer
BCM 16" Standard Mid Length flat top upper half
BCM Mil-Spec BCG, firing pin and charging handle
Magpul v1 PMAG x10
Magpul MAID grip, foliage green (my Beretta has FG grips too)
Magpul ACS stock

I'm still undecided on which rear back up sight and optic I want to get. For rear back up sight, I considering the Magpul, the Matech, or the LMT A2 style. For optic, I thinking about the Eotech XPS. I might through a grip pod VFG on there too. Oh yeah, and I'm waiting for Magpul to release their handguards in mid length.....

TehLlama
5 September 2009, 09:53
BUIS - go with the TROY Rear or MagPul MBUS rear. DD Rear sights if you want fixed, but the TROYs are rock solid, and MBUS are an unbeatable value.
Handguard - I'd look into the Omega 9.0 or Troy MRF-M (DI) either one will allow a VFG, grippod, or bipod on there no problem.

Optic - I'd say go with one of the newer EOTech models - the 552 series comes to mind.
Another option would be the Aimpoint T-1 optic (on LT or DD Mount) - very light, great battery life.

Everything else - you've nailed it. Looks like a great blaster - too bad it won't be your last ;)

tracksol
5 September 2009, 10:06
Thanks for the tips. I've done lots of research as I like to spend my money wisely. This first AR will be my "battle" gun and as such I'd like to keep it simple. Since I'm not going to be mounting lots of accessories and only need it to be "combat accurate", I've decided that for this one don't need multiple rails or for the handguard to be free float. The most I'll ever put is a flashlight or laser, and of course the grip pod.

I'll look into the 552 series and the Aimpoint. Due to the cost, I'll have to try any optic out before buying one to see which I can put on target faster. I'll be shooting with "irons" for a while, maybe even take it that way to a carbine class to take advantage there and try other people's optics. Speaking of which, what's a good school? When I return, I'll be in Oklahoma. I've heard good things about Front Sight and Progressive Force Concepts (which gives a military discount). I don't mind traveling and would combine it into a vacation with the Mrs...

Stickman
5 September 2009, 11:36
Welcome to the board.

You might want to start a thread specific to shooting schools, and what to look for. I think that would be good information for a lot of people, and most of us are going to have different things that we look for, or are looking to get out of a class.