PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19, Sig Sauer 226 Navy, Sig P2022 and H&K P30

WileyCoyote
5 September 2009, 17:10
I am in the market for a 9mm and cant decide which of these to get? These are the models I have narrowed my decisions down too. I currently own a G23, Springfield XDM .40 and a Ruger LCR. My friend just purchased a G19 and loves it. And I see that a lot of guys here in this forum love them too which sways me towards the G19. I do not like my G23 it just doesnt shoot well for my liking. Too much recoil. But I like Glocks.

The Sig Sauer 226 Navy edition has caught my eye mainly because I've never owned a Sig and it looks and feels good to me.

Sig P2022 I hear good things about but never have held or fired one.

H&K P30 looks and feels great. However, I hear the trigger is horrible.

My buddy works for Border Patrol and they issued him a H&K P2000 and he loves it. So I am really confused and undecided what to buy for my first 9mm.

Thanks

seanmunger
5 September 2009, 22:49
I have a sig 226R in .40 and I love it. I have 3000+ rounds through it in the year I have had it. it shows some wear but I have never had a malfunction. it runs smooth feels great shoots straight and is reliable. it defintaly gets my vote.

GoG-Man
6 September 2009, 00:37
Get the 19, add some Quality metal sights, a few extra mags, a Quality holster for the weapon and magazines.

Invest the rest of your money on Ammo and training [:)]

CCK
6 September 2009, 08:05
Get the 19, add some Quality metal sights, a few extra mags, a Quality holster for the weapon and magazines.

Invest the rest of your money on Ammo and training [:)]

DING DING DING! We have a winner.

Glock 19 $500 new

Raven Concealment holster $70.
Raven Concealment mag carrier $30

Night sites (not because they are important, just because the factory plastic suck) $100

10 Glock 17 mags ( yes 17 mags) for training only $300

Total $1000

Now spend the rest on ammo and training, I guarantee you can't anywhere close to this with any other setup.

Chris

WileyCoyote
6 September 2009, 19:51

Glock 19 $500 new

Night sites (not because they are important, just because the factory plastic suck) $100

Total $1000

Now spend the rest on ammo and training, I guarantee you can't anywhere close to this with any other setup.

Chris

Why the 17 mags? Where can I go to get training? Thanks

WileyCoyote
6 September 2009, 20:07

Glock 19 $500 new

Total $1000

Chris

Which Raven holster? The Phantom LC or Phantom? They are pricey. I just bought a Serpa but I dont think I will keep it and I like the Safariland IWB leather holster.

CCK
8 September 2009, 15:53
Why the 17 mags? Where can I go to get training? Thanks

I like training with 17 mags simply because I have a 17 and 19 and my spare mag is always a 17. So regardless of which gun I am shooting I will always be reloading a 17.

Training:
There are quite a few very well respected instructors on m4carbine.net. In fact there is a whole subforum dedicated to it.

I personally am a fan of Gabe Suarez and Suarez International. I'd love to go to a Pat Rogers class or Magpul Dynamics or Larry Vickers or Todd Green from pistoltraining.com

Chris

CCK
8 September 2009, 15:55
Which Raven holster? The Phantom LC or Phantom? They are pricey. I just bought a Serpa but I dont think I will keep it and I like the Safariland IWB leather holster.

Suarez doesn't allow Serpas in his classes. I have a Raven Concealment Ghost holster and think the quality is superb. I was quoting the price on a Phantom though.

Chris

GoG-Man
9 September 2009, 02:38

I use the Phantom for a Glock 19. I use one at work OWB, and then use another with the IWB loops to carry a Glock 26. They are not cheap, and there will be a little wait, but it is worth it.
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/img/products/holsters/Phantom.jpg

If you need something quick or cheaper, you can get a simple belt mounted kydex holster by Blackhawk (NON-Serpa), Bladetech, Comptac, ect. I would still have a Raven on order :-)

As for the magazines, I would recommend you use 19 mags for 19, and 17 Mags for the 17. I have heard a few people have damaged their Glocks by over inserting a larger magazine. YMMV

* I would recommend you stick with Kydex, for various reasons.

As for training, Gabe is a good source, I took his Adv. Close Range Gun Fighting, money and time well spent. If you can, I would also recommend getting some training from some of the well known former Tier1 SF guys, as well.

MILEO440
9 September 2009, 07:03
well I'm not going to be much help in your decsion but I have spent many a thousand rounds behind a p226 and p229 in 9mm as well as .40, absolutely love them. in fact I trust my life to a sig every day. I have a buddie that has a G19 and I have put close to 1000rds through it my self and LOVE that weapon. I would buy one in a second if I had the extra cash but I got this little bug right now related the AR accessories that is eating my spare change. HK's seem to be really nice weapons but the only 9mm that I have any experience is about 50 rounds through a p7 which I loved and behind a HK USP .45acp which is my department issue weapon, would be nice to have but im fine with my sig.

Stickman
9 September 2009, 08:17
The Glock 19 is my constant off duty piece, I wouldn't even think of carrying the G23. The Sigs are nice, and I have a P220 that I really enjoy, but for my needs, the G19 is the hands down winner.

spamsammich
10 September 2009, 02:17
You should try shooting a S&W M&P 9

sjohnny
10 September 2009, 06:59
The only guns you listed that I have shot are the Glock 19 and the SIG 226 (but in .357 SIG, not 9mm). If it's going to be a carry gun I would definitely go with the Glock 19. The SIG is bigger and a lot heavier. I carry a SIG 229 and don't like the weight but it shoots well and since it's the only gun I can carry at work (stupid policy change) I've been shooting it a lot more so my proficiency is increasing. If you already have a Glock 23 and are comfortable with it but just want a 9mm instead then it seems the Glock 19 would be a good choice for you. I really like my Glock 23 and if I were in the market for a 9mm the Glock 19 would be what I would get. I have not shot but have held a P30 and it felt absolutely perfect in my hand but I can get 2 Glocks for what they wanted for the P30 so.....

Only you can decide for sure what you want and all the guns you listed are good choices. I would get the Glock (or the P30 if I just had to spend that much money).

tac40
10 September 2009, 07:42
For a CCW or off duty carry for LEO types, any of the pistols you mentioned are good selections. The bottom line is cost. The Sig 9mm line is very good, P228 or 226, the plastic Sig 250 are good with interchangeable features to another caliber.

I looked at the HK P30, very nice similar to the HK45 line. Very nice feel but at the higher end of cost. As for the Glock, it's my duty gun and needless to say it works well. The G19 is a favorite among those who carry CCW or LEO.
You can work this gun hard and it can take it. I carry both the Sig and Glock lines off duty. Good luck.

WileyCoyote
10 September 2009, 14:58
The Glock 19 is my constant off duty piece, I wouldn't even think of carrying the G23. The Sigs are nice, and I have a P220 that I really enjoy, but for my needs, the G19 is the hands down winner.

I want a G19 but I want to wait for the RTF that I hear is coming at the end of the year. Why wouldnt you even think of carrying a G23??? I just put Mepro nightsights on it and a 3.5 pound trigger. Its really nice now!

Thanks for your feedback

DeskTopWarrior
11 September 2009, 08:11
Just a note about the HK option. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Border Patrol was issued P2000 with a LEM trigger, which is not available on the P30. The P30 has a DA/SA with decocker on the back of the slide.

I have a 40 with the LEM. I've never been able to shoot consistently with it. Glocks are easier for me. I have a 30sf and am about to acquire a 23, both of which I shoot better than my P2000. I think a 17 will be next in the line up.

gunnut284
12 September 2009, 18:24
All of those guns are solid and any would likely serve well. Handle, and preferably shoot, whatever you buy before you buy. If you can't get your hands on one before buying don't buy that one.
FWIW, I have a Glock 19 and would recommend it without reservation.

Prophet911
13 September 2009, 00:16
I have a Sig SP2022. It's a pretty good pistol, but I've had problems, as have others, a couple of times with it not holding open after the last round. Also it doesn't quite feel right in the hand, this is just my opinion.

JRX35
25 September 2009, 08:44
I have and experienced some of the 9mms that you are looking into:

- P226 - classic metal, heavy, full-sized not for carry, mags are not cheap and it's DA/SA (typically)

- G19 - I'd go with this b/c it's carry capable, cheap and surprisingly accurate, mags are cheap, accessories galore, if you're into indivduality, Glocks are not for you since it seems like everyone has them

- P30 - Good ergos, not that heavy, I don't think it's a carry gun and more full-sized, trigger is ok but it's DA/SA (not my preference), mags are not cheap, limited accessories

- I also have an M&P full-sized - Good ergos, trigger gets better with use, full-sized not a carry gun, accurate, mags are ok/not cheap and hard to find, accessory market not full tilt as Glocks

Ryo
26 September 2009, 19:15
I love my P226 BW 9mm. Very accurate gun. Only problem is that the frame is too big to make it comfortable for me to conceal. But if SHTF I want my Sig around.

WGG
26 November 2009, 18:57
Just a note about the HK option. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Border Patrol was issued P2000 with a LEM trigger, which is not available on the P30. The P30 has a DA/SA with decocker on the back of the slide.

I have a 40 with the LEM. I've never been able to shoot consistently with it. Glocks are easier for me. I have a 30sf and am about to acquire a 23, both of which I shoot better than my P2000. I think a 17 will be next in the line up.

HK lists the following options for the P30 on their web site.

The P30 Trigger Variants:
P30 (V0):
Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurred hammer. Centrally located de-cocking button, with a constant enhanced double action only Law Enforcement Modification (LEM)* trigger pull of approximately 4.5 pounds (20 Newtons) without operation of the de-cocking latch, and defined let-off point.

P30 V1:
Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurrless hammer, without de-cocking button. Constant LEM trigger pull of approximately 4.5 pounds (20 Newtons) and defined let-off point.

P30 V2:
Like P30 V1 but with LEM trigger pull of approximately 7.3 pounds (32.5N).

P30 V3:
Conventional single action/double action (SA/DA) trigger without cocking piece in the hammer with spur and centrally located decocking button.

P30 V4:
Like P30 V1, however LEM trigger pull approximately 6.2 pounds (27.5N).

P30 V6:
Conventional double action only (DAO) trigger without cocking piece in the spurrless hammer. Constant DAO trigger pull of approximately 8.8 pounds (39N).

Not all variants available in some regions.

* also known as Combat Defense Action (CDA)