PDA

View Full Version : Trigger set up for home defense

Broad Arrow
6 September 2009, 01:42
What is a good set-up for HD? Is it 2-stage or single? I had read conflicting post. Some say single stage is better while another group says 2. I am seeking to know the correct answer for proper guidance and save money by making the correct choices. Thanks.

PS If its 2 stage, I know I have to get the SSA. But I don't know about single stage? Will I be better off with stock or Timney? Thanks.

federalist22
6 September 2009, 04:42
Choosing a trigger for Home Defense is a personal preference issue. If you were going for precision long range shooting I would definitely say go two-stage. For home defense, a two-stage trigger feels nice, but is probably not very necessary--just my take.

Eric
6 September 2009, 07:28
Start with a stock trigger. Shoot the gun, a lot. Take a class. Shot the gun, a lot.
After getting dialed in with what you have, if you still feel the need for an after-market trigger, then look hard at the SSA.

Broad Arrow
6 September 2009, 17:02
Thanks you Sirs for your suggestions. With so many stock lower parts kit available, do you have any preference for a particular brand? thanks.

edited to add: For added info, are the pull weights of the SSA and DMR the same?

federalist22
6 September 2009, 18:01
Look at getting a Rock River Arms (RRA) lower parts kit if you can.

Broad Arrow
7 September 2009, 17:15
thank you Sir!

TehLlama
7 September 2009, 19:21
RRA and WOA are both great LPK's. The G&R and CMT kits should do fine as well.

I've got many hundreds of dollars invested in triggers that outdo my abilities. My go-to carbine runs a stock trigger. I'll give up some precision for a touch more reliability.

Considering any HD scenario will probably occur withing 'rock throwing distance' trigger will matter a lot less than mindset and how you employ yourself and the weapon system. Stock trigger and classes are the prudent solution.