PDA

View Full Version : SOG Brake FAIL!

Narco
7 September 2009, 09:55
This is the SOG "flaming pig" style krink brake. It is not manufactured by Noveske but is comparable. Well Tom over at Spikes Tactical built my 10.5 Duty Rifle Upper and this was on it for function.. To say the least, I am glad that this happened on the range, rather than on the street.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1607/sogbrake.jpg

This critical incident occurred while shooting a 3 gun competition on Saturday. I was shooting from a supported position at 4" steel plates at 100yds. Ammo used was Q3131 '09 production. There was not a baffle strike to the cone element or any other damage to the rifle. It just simply blew up. The removable cone shot about 20 yds ahead of my shooting position with the retaining clip still intact.

OTOH, Tom Miller aka badazzar15 CEO of Spikes has been wonderful, I notified him immediately of the situation in which he replied that this is the 2nd known bursting in 3 weeks. I do not know how the other shooters rifle fared but mine kept running.

Tom requested that I send him this back and he is replacing it with their own CNC Warthog.

This is not a rant against Spikes, but a warning for any person running this particular brake in environment where you life may depend on it.

bigcoastie
7 September 2009, 10:02
How many rounds were fired before it happened and what rate of fire would you say as well?

Narco
7 September 2009, 10:10
My SBR doesn't have a giggle switch. Total rounds through this comp.. Less than 500... ROF was engaging 10 steel plates at 100.

Stickman
7 September 2009, 11:49
That falls under the unacceptable category.

m24shooter
7 September 2009, 12:05
Yikes.
Any info on what the failure was?

Narco
7 September 2009, 12:52
Will not know, may not ever know, until I send it back to Tom. I am suspecting a weak point in the metal, and the pressure made it give. I only shoot quality 5.56 (Q3131, XM193, M855, or TAP) which is all IIRC good stuff.

I did pump 400 rds through it sunday at a "Tax Stamp Shoot" that I put together. Some of it was F/A. While I did have the DNTC on my upper by then, I must say those new melonite barrels held up nicely. I didn't have 1 FTF FTE or any other complications. Being that this wasn't a Spikes custom built piece, just installed/sold by them Tom's reaction was on the money.

My Upper with the DNTC F/A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OIKi6zkms

Stickman
17 September 2009, 10:13
Any updates on this one?

Narco
17 September 2009, 13:25
It was sent back to Tom. He is replacing it with their own version, that is CNC'd and Melonited. ETA is about a week.

bigcoastie
17 September 2009, 15:18
What has SOG said about the issue, I live about 20 minutes away from them and I'm curious to see if they are aware of this as it could be a potential safety issue.

Narco
17 September 2009, 20:25
What has SOG said about the issue, I live about 20 minutes away from them and I'm curious to see if they are aware of this as it could be a potential safety issue.

spikes advised this is the 2nd one in 3 weeks that has done this. i was requested to send mine back so that they(spikes) can address the issue directly.

badazzar15
19 September 2009, 09:39
I can not believe they casted those breaks! I was under the impression they were machined, like everything else on the market. They sent us new ones, like we want to use them! Luckily no one was hurt and we didn't use or sell very many, maybe 10 total. So if any got one from us, I will replace it with our new Warthog which won't ever fail like that under any circumstances. Totally unacceptable!

-Tom

m24shooter
19 September 2009, 10:08
Good to see you taking care of the customer. I've been thinking about the Warthog, might have to look into that more.

Stickman
19 September 2009, 14:07
I can not believe they casted those breaks! I was under the impression they were machined, like everything else on the market. They sent us new ones, like we want to use them! Luckily no one was hurt and we didn't use or sell very many, maybe 10 total. So if any got one from us, I will replace it with our new Warthog which won't ever fail like that under any circumstances. Totally unacceptable!

-Tom

Wow, thats a poor use for casting from my point of view.

Narco
22 September 2009, 12:00
I kept it on this site, since it is more mature IMHO. arfcom can get a little carried away.

Tom has been good to me, as long as my CC is good to him :)

Stickman
15 October 2009, 20:20
We do a pretty good job on keeping things in perspective here. [:)]