PDA

View Full Version : Which lower?

Rated21R
8 September 2009, 05:06
I know a lower is a lower is a lower but I am just curious what lowers people like and if they were in the market for a lower what they would choose. I have a MUR upper and I am going to be picking up a Noveske Crusader barrel for this build, just not sure which lower to go after. I have been checking out the Noveske lowers, BCM lowers and LMT too. Don't mind if it's stripped, complete works too. Thanks.

jeeves915
8 September 2009, 06:05
So long as the holes and whatnot are in spec, a lower is a lower is a lower is a lower. It's the bits inside that matters.
For a Noveske blem, you could get a Mega Billet lower. Hell, for $90ish, you can get a Spike's Tactical stripped lower.

Since you are dropping the coin on a good upper, and good barrel, there would be no downside to spending a few dollars more on a nicer lower. If it was my money to spend, it would be on a Mega Billet, or a Sundevil Billet.

Of course, you could save the money, and spend it elsewheres on other bits. just your call.

Just my $0.02.
-Adam

bigcoastie
8 September 2009, 07:17
My vote would be for Spike's great fit and finish with a good price. Get it with LPK installed.

jester
8 September 2009, 10:44
I tend to look at the shape of the front of the magwell in case I want to grip it there (a flared magwell is nice too). Before the B.A.D. was released I really wanted the ambi bolt catch controls, which pretty much means a POF, Magpul or Knights lower.

Right now I'm keen on the MEGA lower...but I don't like the round bulging trigger guard (same reason I didn't jump on a POF).

tac40
8 September 2009, 12:50
I have Mega lower from Rainier Arms, they are well made and are mil-spec. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. A solid billet is nice, check with the Rainier Arms website and get an idea what you're looking for good luck.

TehLlama
8 September 2009, 14:50
I've got POF and SunDevil billet lowers. Only worth it for precision rifles IMO.

Any quality forged one will do - choose by looks. My favorites are my CMMG and Aero lowers - though MEGA, ST, DPMS, BCM, LMT, are all fine - there's more.

adrenaline151
8 September 2009, 16:47
I like the TKS lower that Rainier has with the Flag etched on the front of the magwell. I'm not crazy about color fills or funky logos, but I do love that American Flag on there. It would look sweet with a MUR, and a Daniel Defense Lite Rail. That's kinda my next rifle build idea....

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/9099d3e238f51371e3d1637ac2589036.jpg

Stickman
8 September 2009, 17:27
Thats good looking with the flag. My favorite "standard" lower is the Noveske, I simply like its clean looks. My favorite non-standard lower is the Magpul billet.

Rated21R
8 September 2009, 18:32
Thanks for all the great info. My favorite has always been the Noveske lower and i am pretty sure that is what i will end up going with. I just keep checking other ones out just to see what is out there. No one really offers a Noveske complete lower, I will have to buy the parts to put it together, correct? Which LPK do you all recommend?

Army Chief
9 September 2009, 04:25
My favorite "standard" lower is the Noveske, I simply like its clean looks. My favorite non-standard lower is the Magpul billet.

Agree -- to the extent that every non-Colt lower I own is either a Noveske or a Magpul. :)

AC

rob_s
9 September 2009, 05:07
FWIW

Lower Receiver Comparison Photos (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/125421.html)

I have a couple more to add soon, I just need to finish stripping them out. One of them is a DSA that I pulled the Bill Springfield trigger out of when it started doubling.

The Defensive Edge is going to be SBR'd shortly. I need to get a UBR to build it up for function testing before I send off the paperwork, but Sully put a lot of thought into how these are machined.

I don't go in for the billet lowers.

gunnut284
12 September 2009, 18:18
I have a couple Spikes lowers that are great for the money. If I was buying one today though I would go with the Mega Billet. I have a regular Mega and it is excellent.