PDA

View Full Version : does 3 carbines equal overkill?

newyork
9 September 2009, 12:16
i have 2 carbines with aimpoints. i want another, maybe a middie from BCM. this is the last gun i can buy for awhile.
get a 3rd carbine/middy or start building an spr/recce for variety? is it silly to own 3 carbines and no precision gun? a carbine with an acog, eotech, aimpoint or just irons will cost a lot less, which is a huge plus. ive asked this elsewhere, just looking for more opinions.

rebelEMPIRE
9 September 2009, 12:56
In my opinion, a good number of ARs to have (if you enjoy them as much as I do) is 4. One SBR, one SPR, and two ~16 inch general purpose rifles--one with just iron sights, the other with an optic. It's critical to practice with irons just as much as you do with the optics you use.

That being for variety and also to increase the life of each of your weapons. Since you'll share the use between 4 weapons, each weapon (in theory) will last 4 times as long. But of course you'll tend to use one above the others and that balance will be thrown off. But nonetheless, it's an investment to keep things interesting and preserve your rifles.

Also, if you haven't built your own yet, I suggest looking into it. It just makes your rifle much more appreciable.

-rebelEMPIRE

bigcoastie
9 September 2009, 13:28
I went w/ the dedicated .22 LR w/ proper twist and a dedicated lower for my 3rd rifle. So far I've used it more than I could have ever expected. So that would be my vote. I'm not into shooting great groups so an SPR was out for me.

Army Chief
9 September 2009, 22:48
In my view, three ARs is only overkill if you're attempting to shoot them all at the same time. :)

On a more serious note, one the greatest attributes of this weapon system is its flexibility; as such, you could own a half-dozen ARs of different barrel lengths, calibers and configurations, and never really duplicate the capabilities of any one example. In simpler terms, you can run the gamut from a subcaliber plinker to a professional-grade precision rig in a single family of weapons: to me, that is a strong argument for investing in multiple examples, as it gives you an almost unlimited array of long-term options.

There is also another argument in play here: given the potential for these rifles/carbines to make their way onto the endangered species list at some point, the potential for a finite supply situation would seem to be a further argument for owning multiples. Why? One word: grandfathering.

AC

TehLlama
13 September 2009, 12:49
I didn't realize it, but my collection is identical to RebelEmpire's.

A go-to general purpose carbine (16" or 14.X) with a night/day optic.
One long range weapon is always nice (20", SPR, or a Recce) with scope.
A KISS Carbine (16" - my wife's doubles as the .22lr rifle)
A CQC Carbine (minimize OAL, light and optic a must)

My wife's 14.7" Lightweight w/ T-1 Aimpoint does things my 16" SOCOM profiled rifle w/ ACOG&UBR can't.

I personally think every collection should have one simple KISS setup, as well as one setup that is equipped with a red dot and white light.
If you live in open country, you'll need something with a zoom optic as well.
It never hurts to have a spare/clone of your go-to rig.
It never hurts to have a practice rifle (e.g. dedicated .22 upper)

newyork
17 September 2009, 11:25
well guys, i got a lower and have a few things like a geissele trigger on the way. i have a noveske 16.1" stainless recon with 12" VIS on order. i'll put something like a nightforce 2.5-10 or ior 1.5-8 on it and it'll be my 100/200 yd precision rig that is small enough to do 3gun with 1-4 if i so please. i think i'll be happy with this decision.