PDA

View Full Version : Light mounting options for 590A1

nraliferddomega
20 September 2009, 19:25
Just purchased a Mossberg 590A1 (51663 9-shot GRS).
Looking for advice/experience on adding a light.
Thinking of adding a KZ 3-Rail Shotgun Mount in lieu of
Surefire M70 Picatinny Rail Forend or
Surefire forend replacement.
Any thoughts?
KZ is $50. Made in US.

cmoore
20 September 2009, 23:52
I think you'll do well with the KZ. I have not tried a KZ rail on a shotgun, but we have several Colt M4's at work with those mounted and they're as solid as Knight's and GG&G.

As far as a light, go with an LED. Some lights with the larger bezels have anywhere between 1 and 5 LED's and they throw a lot of light.

Best regards...

alt154shiver
21 September 2009, 03:20
Finally a thread I can comment on...

For one, check out shotgunworld.com and head down to the basement err, tactical/HD section. You might just see some familiar screen names down there.

IMHO (and I must admit, I have yet to do this to my 500), I wouldn't put a tri-rail forend on it. I would reccomend getting a section of rail as long as you need and drilling holes in the factory forend and bolting it on there. In this manner you can mount any rail mounted light you desire to your forend. I tried finding a picture of this mounting solution, but it's late, I've been drinking, and I gave up...

If you don't want to mount it to your forend, then I would recommend a railed attachment just forward of the forend where it can be reached while the action is forward. The picture in this thread gives an example of what I'm talking about here:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=192742

There is also a member on SGW who has recently started production of barrel/mag clamps that compete with mesa from what I've read about them so far. (BTW Mesa Tactical might offer a solution that may work for you). The thread is here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=185914

IIRC they are not yet available for the 590, but I've been keeping an eye on them myself.

After writing all of this, I finally went and looked up the mount you are considering, yes something like that should work as long as the builing quality is good.

One word of caution however, make sure that if you do clamp something to your mag tube that one: it isn't so tight that it causes your follower to bind, and two: that it doesn't move under recoil. This could potentially cause your action to not lock fully forward causing the firearm to fail.

Oh, and I want to second the advice on the LED light, and ideally it should feature a shock isolated bezel.

Happy hunting.

-alt

nraliferddomega
21 September 2009, 16:08
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the advice.
Any experiences with Hellfighter products?
Their Underboss seems like a viable option.
Have sent email to Hellfighter inquiring on how unit would hold up to recoil of 12 gauge.

Have a Streamlight TLR-1 on my Glock 22.
VTAC mount/Surefire light combo on my Bushmaster.
Daniel Defense Omega rail with Tango Down VFG.

Happy with both lights. IMHO Surefire rules the night.
Expensive, but worth it.
For future purchase, in these times, I first am looking at accessories solely American made.
Maybe that is naive, but I am going to try.