PDA

View Full Version : Best Lower Reciever - at any price

JustMatt
21 September 2009, 17:19
I'm selling my LWRC to finance a new build and want opinions on what people consider the best lower receiver available and why. I used a SLR15 lower on my last build and although I like it alot I want to try something different and was thinking of maybe going the billet route. Opinions?

(if anyone wants to part with a Magpul lower let me know [:D] )

Stickman
21 September 2009, 19:21
If you haven't looked at the below billet guide, it might be worth a look. Billet lowers are nice to get a different look and set of options that the standard forged lower doesn't bring to the table.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755

There is no doubt to my mind that the Magpul lower is the most sought after, especially the C series, but for most of us, a stripped Magpul lower isn't going to happen (especially the C series).

The current billet lowers have their own look, and can become pretty subjective. I like the Sun Devil for the cost, its well built and doesn't run an arm and leg. The POF and others are nicely done, and I can't think of any reason I would get rid of any of them.

Is there a certain look that catches your eye?

eternal24k
22 September 2009, 17:03
forged Mega lower with a Mega upper, I have many high end billet lowers and uppers and i have yet to find anything with the fit and finish comparable to a Mega set.

JustMatt
23 September 2009, 20:31
I like the POF style billet lower as well as the ones by Mega and Sun Devil. My biggest grype is the company logo engraving. I know it's kinda a foolish thing to get hung but some of the logos look a little over done. What I do like is the integrated trigger guard. I know that any structural rigidity increase is not really going to come into play but I think it just makes the lower look cleaner. Do these companies take custom orders that would possibly delete there logo or maybe minimize it at all? I like the way Noveske handles there logo on there lowers, clean and simple looking.

JLSKIP
24 September 2009, 08:56
I recently used the Mega Billet lower on my mid-length build. I really like that lower. The fit and finish were perfect. Mega's website says they can do custom serials and stamping, so it's possible that they can delete the logo. Maybe Rainier Arms could find out about that, as they only sell to FFL's.

SilentType
24 September 2009, 10:28
American Precision Arms Billet Lower Receiver, check it out.

JustMatt
24 September 2009, 11:51
I'll have to email Rainier and see what they say about the custom stamping, thanks fro the input. Silent...have you used the American Precision Arms lower?

SilentType
24 September 2009, 16:43
I haven't used the APA lower, but I'm basically in the same boat as you right now looking around at lowers and didn't even know about the APA one until I read the review on www.militarymorons.com about it.

Anyways it's something to add to the list of lowers to look at.

FDAC
24 September 2009, 18:52
I have used used Tactical Innovations for several rifles. They now only sell the deluxe version with integral trigger guard but they are well made and finished in my opinion

Uglyduck
24 September 2009, 20:11
I have used used Tactical Innovations for several rifles. They now only sell the deluxe version with integral trigger guard but they are well made and finished in my opinion

+1, love mine

Anyone use the C3 Defense (http://www.c3defenseinc.com/kiss/cart.cfm?cmd=home) receivers?

kanaka
24 September 2009, 21:44
I've been keeping my eye out for a nice billet lower as well, just to have something a little different from the regular forged lower.
If I had my choice it would be the Magpul lower hands down, but that seems to be impossible!

I like the Mega billet lower, and recently saw some pics of a newer design of billet lowers done by them as well as a matching billet upper. They look outstanding, and if their price is anything like Mega's pricing in the past they should be well within the realm of reasonable.

UglyDuck, If I'm not mistaken C3 defense is either made by or made in conjunction with SunDevil. So sounds like they are gtg!

But for my current 'recce' style build I will most likely end up just using a tried and true Noveske lower.

rob_s
25 September 2009, 02:34
For those interested in the Magpul lowers for reasons other than the name stamped on the side, the POF billet lowers appear to be functionally identical.

JustMatt
9 October 2009, 21:59
I appreciate all the input. I'm leaning towards a MEGA billet lower or Noveske forged lower. Anyone want to push me one way or the other? Priority 1 is bombproof construction everything else comes second.

rebelEMPIRE
10 October 2009, 00:57
If you're going for a MEGA billet lower, they also offer a matching billet upper if you're into that stuff; additionally, a matching billet charging handle to complete the package.

-rebelEMPIRE

Creeky73
10 October 2009, 04:48

I just got my TI lower this week, it is the new style with the stainless steel trigger pins and bushings, that eliminate the need for anti-walk pins, and keeps the pins from making direct contact with the aluminum of the lower. If anyone hasn't checked this lower out, go to Rainier and do so. I am very pleased with this lower, especially since TI lowers are on sale at Rainier right now.

rob_s
10 October 2009, 05:43
Anyone want to push me one way or the other? Priority 1 is bombproof construction everything else comes second.

Depending on what this means to you, IMHO that excludes anything billet. Forged>billet.

JustMatt
10 October 2009, 07:08
I thought that billet was stronger than forged?

John Hwang
10 October 2009, 08:56
Before we get crazy on the whole billet vs forged debate, let's talk in terms of REAL world applications. Strength from Billet and Forged is a moot point IMO, 6061 vs 7075 is even negligible. Why do I say it's a moot point? Out of the thousands of lowers Rainier Arms sells, we haven't noticed either one type of lower producing more returns due to failures than another. As a matter of fact, out of all the lowers we sell, SunDevil which is made from 6061 (weaker aluminum) has less returns than any other MFG (probably has something to do with the fact, they make a great lower). Even the idea of billet holding better tolerances is negligible. In the real world, most people buy billet over forged is because of aesthetic reasons and there is nothing wrong with that.

In this day and age, 95% of the lowers being produced is top shelf and you can't go wrong with them.

Here's some comon issues found in some lowers (I'm not saying this for every lower. We just handle hundreds of lowers so we can speak with a lot of experience):
POF: Loose Lug areas creating a loose upper/lower fit
Noveske E Series: Front lug area prevents some uppers from tilting all the way forward. Also prevents the use of DD LITE Rails
Charles Daly/LRB: Trigger guard area isn't machined cleanly (Does not impede function at all, just cosmetics)
SunDevil: Make sure you brace the ear when installing the trigger guard, this is when 6061 will show its weakness. Is a little lighter in anodizing than most almost gray looking.
Tactical Innovations/LMT: Can get purple anodizing at times.
MEGA: Tight mag wells.

I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting. But don't be alarmed, even in all of these lowers with some issues, it's minor and only will bother the most anal.

For a no frills but great lower, I like Stag. For overall looks & function, I've like POF. For uniqueness, Seekins is really cool.

Stickman
10 October 2009, 10:11
Good info, thanks for the honest feedback on the various lower and what you are currently seeing.

JustMatt
10 October 2009, 10:35
Thats alot of good honest info. I appreciate it.

Rated21R
10 October 2009, 15:56
Cant use a DD Lite rail with a Noveske lower...that stinks.

rebelEMPIRE
10 October 2009, 17:11
Cant use a DD Lite rail with a Noveske lower...that stinks.

Specifically the E Series as stated above.

JustMatt
10 October 2009, 20:20
A few questions.
1. Which Noveske lower does Rainier sell?
2. Stick, in your review of the Seekins lower you didn't mention how speed reloads were affected by the extra long magwell. Good, bad or no impact? Also, how about mag drops? PMags (new and old style), Lancer mags, HK, GI etc. do they all drop free?

federalist22
11 October 2009, 04:32
It would be nice to have a compatibility thread the breaks out which uppers and lowers are incompatible with certain parts/components.

Something like:

Receiver Component Incompatibility

Noveske Lower - DD Lite Rail
Sun Devil Upper - DD Lite Rail
Sun Devil Upper - Magpul BAD

This would help people research and buy the correct parts the first time.

John Hwang
13 October 2009, 15:32
A few questions.
2. Stick, in your review of the Seekins lower you didn't mention how speed reloads were affected by the extra long magwell. Good, bad or no impact? Also, how about mag drops? PMags (new and old style), Lancer mags, HK, GI etc. do they all drop free?

We have had all versions of lowers from Noveske. BTW, it's not all Noveske E Series lowers but many we have tried to use. The E Series is the best looking batch. My favorite ones are the old production serials with no letters when STAG made them. They are the nicest and work the best with everything. The C Series has the most cosmetic blems and most of the 2nd we see are "C" series.

JustMatt
17 November 2009, 07:17
Any opinions on the Sabre Defence lowers? I like how clean they look. I would like to use a Noveske lower but I want to use a DD Lite rail on this build and worry it won't fit right.

Beaux
17 November 2009, 17:13
Before we get crazy on the whole billet vs forged debate, let's talk in terms of REAL world applications. Strength from Billet and Forged is a moot point IMO, 6061 vs 7075 is even negligible. Why do I say it's a moot point? Out of the thousands of lowers Rainier Arms sells, we haven't noticed either one type of lower producing more returns due to failures than another. As a matter of fact, out of all the lowers we sell, SunDevil which is made from 6061 (weaker aluminum) has less returns than any other MFG (probably has something to do with the fact, they make a great lower). Even the idea of billet holding better tolerances is negligible. In the real world, most people buy billet over forged is because of aesthetic reasons and there is nothing wrong with that.

In this day and age, 95% of the lowers being produced is top shelf and you can't go wrong with them.

Here's some comon issues found in some lowers (I'm not saying this for every lower. We just handle hundreds of lowers so we can speak with a lot of experience):
POF: Loose Lug areas creating a loose upper/lower fit
Noveske E Series: Front lug area prevents some uppers from tilting all the way forward. Also prevents the use of DD LITE Rails
Charles Daly/LRB: Trigger guard area isn't machined cleanly (Does not impede function at all, just cosmetics)
SunDevil: Make sure you brace the ear when installing the trigger guard, this is when 6061 will show its weakness. Is a little lighter in anodizing than most almost gray looking.
Tactical Innovations/LMT: Can get purple anodizing at times.
MEGA: Tight mag wells.

I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting. But don't be alarmed, even in all of these lowers with some issues, it's minor and only will bother the most anal.

For a no frills but great lower, I like Stag. For overall looks & function, I've like POF. For uniqueness, Seekins is really cool.

WOW, what a wealth of info in a couple paragraphs! Encouraging to know being a newbie to AR's and a southpaw that Stag comes recommended which makes up the majority of my stable. Not that the lower makes a difference whether left or right, I just prefer to mate the upper and lower parts. Thank you!

JustMatt
20 November 2009, 06:50
So I went with a Gen 1 POF lower. I chose it for cosmetic purposes mostly but also because POF has been doing the billet lower thing for a while and they have a fairly clean looking logo. I plan on matching it up with a Rainier billet upper and i'm hoping the fit is nice and snug. I'll post some pics when I get it.

Stickman
20 November 2009, 07:58
A few questions.

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this question now. The extension of the Seekins magwell offsets the reload by a little. It is a little less forgiving when inserting or removing a magazine. The context to this remark needs to be remembered, when I say its a little different, I mean its not by much. This is no slam against Seekins, its simply a byproduct of having a longer magwell.

Hoss356
20 November 2009, 09:40
So I went with a Gen 1 POF lower. I chose it for cosmetic purposes mostly but also because POF has been doing the billet lower thing for a while and they have a fairly clean looking logo. I plan on matching it up with a Rainier billet upper and i'm hoping the fit is nice and snug. I'll post some pics when I get it.

The first upper I mated to my POF Gen 1 lower had quite a bit of slop to it, so I went down to West Coast Armory, they lined up a row of CMMG uppers for me and I found all of them had slop until I got to the last one which is solid as a rock on my POF. So solid in fact I had to use a pen or a punch to push the rear take down out, but it's loosened up enough now to where I can get it without tools.

JustMatt
20 November 2009, 14:48
Well hopefully the Rainier billet upper will fit nice and snug. I'll test fit my MUR and see how that lines up and if it works I might go that route.