PDA

View Full Version : My first AR purchase

Stinger
22 September 2009, 06:44
I just ordered my first AR, a Daniel Defense DDXV. I am more excited about this purchase than any of more other guns - cant wait.

Couple of questions. For break-in, any ammo recommendations (to use and or to not use)? What about lube recommendations? I have a couple of different lubes (Miltec, remoil, sure shot) that I use on my 1911 and XDs. Are these sufficient?

Any other no-nos or must dos once I get the rifle (recognizing I need to clean it well).

Stinger

Stickman
22 September 2009, 09:13
I think you did very well with your purchase. Make sure you clean it, then lube it properly before you take it out shooting. Miltec or CLP will work fine on your carbine.

JustMatt
23 September 2009, 20:37
I would say get a few hundred rounds of PRVI in whatever load is cheapest and brake her in good (after a proper cleaning and inspection of course). I started off being a ammo snob and only shooting US made ammo. Well I learnt my lesson cause Federal, Hornady, Black Hills and the like are expensive and hard to get alot of. PRVI was recomended in some other posts I read and I decided to give it a shot cause it was relatively inexpensive and available. I have yet to experience a problem with it and it shoots as good as my Hornady TAP, which is to say it shoots better than I am capable of.

tac40
24 September 2009, 06:10
have fun

HERRON223
24 September 2009, 07:02
Do Not shoot any of that Wolf Laminated casing coated Ammo ( Camo box ) it is a SUPER dirty round . I am in 100% agreement with "JustMatt" go with PRVI! as far as Lube I use regular ole Hoppe's #9 on my AR some of my buddies have started using Mobil 1 synthetic oil ( sounds funny but it works ) any of Stic's suggestions are great as well ..Main point being to make sure you lube b4 you shoot. I like to run my guns "wet" just make sure u hit the BCG (anywhere where metal surfaces are rubbing) and wipe of excess and pay attention not to lube the bolt's front surface. Go to "youtube" and search for the Chris Costa Magpul AR cleaning bit ( it is off the Art of the Tactical Carbine Vol 1 ) that is a good watch ..Hoped I helped. Have fun and be safe!

Stinger
25 September 2009, 03:23
Thanks for the help and insight. I will definitely get the PRVI ammo. Still in the waiting mode for the rifle though

adrenaline151
25 September 2009, 15:54
Wolf is dirty, but at the end of the day you're going to clean your rifle anyway, and it's not going to slow down your rifle unless you never clean it at all. I've shot plenty of Wolf Military Classic through both a Noveske and DDM4, and only threw out one round, due to some rust on the case. I blast the inside of the reciever with gunscrubber to blow the junk out, and then clean as I normally would, and have had no problems. It's cheap, it's dirty, it works, though. Buy some good stuff for the real deal, and practice with the Wolf. I had a gunshop owner tell me that he didn't stock Wolf because it ruined extractors. Even if it did ruin extractors... some math:
1 case of Wolf- $279 shipped.
1 case of PRVI SS109- $469 shipped.
How many extractors can you buy with 200 bucks?

federalist22
25 September 2009, 16:39
I had a gunshop owner tell me that he didn't stock Wolf because it ruined extractors. Even if it did ruin extractors... some math:
1 case of Wolf- $279 shipped.
1 case of PRVI SS109- $469 shipped.
How many extractors can you buy with 200 bucks?

I'll second that with second-hand knowledge (since I have never shot Wolf) that my friend was shooting Wolf for the better part of a few years, so probably several thousand rounds (probably between 3K-5K Wolf along with his shooting of US ammo), which did result in a broken extractor. I will never shoot Wolf despite the cost of a new extractor.

Stinger
2 October 2009, 05:50
Well, my DDXV finally came in and I picked it up last night. I havent been as excited to get a new gun since the first one I got (granted that was only in Mar09). It really looks well made and I hope to get to the range on Saturday.

I'm not sure if I would have gone toward the Daniel Defense except for some of the info on this forum - I think I made a good choice.

Stinger

JustMatt
2 October 2009, 20:00
Congrats on the new addition. Lets see some pics