PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a shogun

jeffy
24 September 2009, 13:21
I've been putting this off for some time but I'm planning on buying one in the next few months. It will be used as a general purpose; HD, SHTF, backyard clay, target shooting, etc. I don't plan on hanging everything off of it. Just a sling, an extension tube and a light. Oh and I want it to be an auto-loader.

I've narrowed down my choices to these:

Benelli M2 Tactical
Benelli M2 Field 21"
FN SLP MK I 22"

The cheapest will be the FN SLP at just over $1000 OTD. Followed by the Benelli M2 Field at just under $1400 and lastly the Benelli Tactical at just over $1400. Is the FN worth $400 over the Field and $500 on the Tactical? Resale value means nothing since I don't ever plan to sell it but I would like one nice shotgun. (I might buy a 18" pump later for HD duty.) How are parts availability on either? I have an Authorized Benelli dealer near by. No one seems to carry FN's so that's a bit worrying.

Thanks in advance

sjohnny
24 September 2009, 13:33
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Shogun.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Uglyduck
24 September 2009, 13:59
I was going to say they're hard to come by now, but johnny beat me to it. [:)]

Anyway...
Have you considered the Mossberg 930spx? If not, m24sooter has done a nice review on it that may prove helpful. It has similar options, a good price point, accessories are becoming readily available, and it seems it would suit your needs as well. Just a suggestion.

jeffy
24 September 2009, 14:07
I was going to say they're hard to come by now, but johnny beat me to it. [:)]

Anyway...
Have you considered the Mossberg 930spx? If not, m24sooter has done a nice review on it that may prove helpful. It has similar options, a good price point, accessories are becoming readily available, and it seems it would suit your needs as well. Just a suggestion.The Mossberg 930SPX is about as common as the FN SLP, which is to say non existent. Also, from the prices I've seen isn't much cheaper then a FN SLP.

sjohnny
24 September 2009, 16:50
The Mossberg 930SPX is about as common as the FN SLP, which is to say non existent. Also, from the prices I've seen isn't much cheaper then a FN SLP.

As of a couple of weeks ago they had some hanging on the wall here:
http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=MOSS-85360

CAPT KIRK
24 September 2009, 17:53
Benelli's are by far he best of the bunch you have listed (having owned two of them myself).

However, a shotgun is a simple weapon and as such should be not only reliable but simple enough to operate. When you are grabbing for your M4, the shotgun left standing in the corner should be simple enough to operate that your wife or any other loved one with basic firearms experience could pick it up and get it running.

You cannot beat a good old reliable pump shotgun for this application and the money you save can be better spent on ........ good optics etc for your rifle, or something elso more usefull. As a career cop I can also attest to the intimidation value and abillity to change peoples minds that the sound of a pump shotgun "racking" can provide.

This old Benelli lover simply keeps a Remington 870 around.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/DEPKIRK/PA090010-1.jpg

tac40
24 September 2009, 19:46
I'd go with Remington 870.

jeffy
24 September 2009, 23:38
Well, it's not going to be a 500/590, 1300 or a 870. [crazy] I realize I can buy half a dozen of them for what I have saved but I'm looking for an auto-loader this time around. I think I've given myself a decent budget for one. I also excluded the Benelli M4 since it's a bit too specialized. I figure with the M2 and the FN I can but additional barrels to reconfigure the gun to more specific needs/requirements. That's also the reason I added the Field 21" to the list. I've been hearing that it's popular with 3-Gun as well. The FN SLP MKI seems to be getting a lot of good press as well. Should I be worried that the SLP is fairly new to the scene and has no networks in my area? To contract, there are 3 Authorized Benelli dealers.

tracksol
26 September 2009, 07:45
I am also pondering getting a shotgun when I get back from my deployment.

I voted for other. Although I am new to firearms, I like the idea of having a weapon that is common for parts availability. I am also a fan of firearms that are or at one time used by U.S. military and law enforcement. That is why my first firearm was a Beretta 92FS and I just finished building an AR15. Since I'm currently in the military, those two weapon systems are the ones I'm issued when on deployment so I'd like to practice with the same platforms.

The 3 shotguns that I have been looking at are all pump action for their simplicity and proven reliability. They are the:
-Mossberg 590A1 (51660)
---or 590 (50660 and upgrade to metal trigger and safety)
-Remington 870
-Benelli Supernova

BUUUUUT, since you said you were opposed to any of these, out of the ones you have listed, I would go with the Benelli. I AM a Beretta fanboy and they own Benelli and I've heard the Benelli autoloader is being used by some units in the USMC.

jeffy
26 September 2009, 17:20
I am also pondering getting a shotgun when I get back from my deployment.

I voted for other. Although I am new to firearms, I like the idea of having a weapon that is common for parts availability. I am also a fan of firearms that are or at one time used by U.S. military and law enforcement. That is why my first firearm was a Beretta 92FS and I just finished building an AR15. Since I'm currently in the military, those two weapon systems are the ones I'm issued when on deployment so I'd like to practice with the same platforms.

The 3 shotguns that I have been looking at are all pump action for their simplicity and proven reliability. They are the:
-Mossberg 590A1 (51660)
---or 590 (50660 and upgrade to metal trigger and safety)
-Remington 870
-Benelli Supernova

BUUUUUT, since you said you were opposed to any of these, out of the ones you have listed, I would go with the Benelli. I AM a Beretta fanboy and they own Benelli and I've heard the Benelli autoloader is being used by some units in the USMC.From my understandings the M4/M1014 was chosen as the Joint Service Combat Shotgun. The problem I have with the M4 is that it's designed for a specific roll that doesn't seem to fulfill my needs as well as the other choices.

I've shot several different pump-actions and will probably get one later but for now, I'm set on an auto-loader. After some more research, I'm really leaning towards the Benelli M2 Field though. I understand that a no shotgun can be a prefect general purpose gun, in all aspects. As a hunting gun won't be good for HD and a Skeet/trap gun won't be good for 3-gun, etc... I don't plan on hunting and I only do casual clay/skeet. I might try some practical SG.

CAPT KIRK
26 September 2009, 19:09
Well, it's not going to be a 500/590, 1300 or a 870. [crazy] I realize I can buy half a dozen of them for what I have saved but I'm looking for an auto-loader this time around. I think I've given myself a decent budget for one. I also excluded the Benelli M4 since it's a bit too specialized. I figure with the M2 and the FN I can but additional barrels to reconfigure the gun to more specific needs/requirements. That's also the reason I added the Field 21" to the list. I've been hearing that it's popular with 3-Gun as well. The FN SLP MKI seems to be getting a lot of good press as well. Should I be worried that the SLP is fairly new to the scene and has no networks in my area? To contract, there are 3 Authorized Benelli dealers.

Then get the Benelli..... BEST combat auto loader made in my book.

jeffy
27 September 2009, 21:07
Then get the Benelli..... BEST combat auto loader made in my book.Well, it's looking that way. The poll is a wash with 1:1. I've been contacting Benelli dealers and seeing what they can do.

Bryant
27 September 2009, 22:02
I had a Benelli M2 Super 90 tactical with ghost ring sights. It was OK. I dumped it and honestly don't miss it. Now I have an 870 which is much better for shooting a wider variety of loads, not interested in owning much else.

BrassSlinger
30 September 2009, 19:50
I have been playing with the idea of picking up an old Winchester Defender (1300) They can be had for $300-$500

http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/UsedPage/Winchester1300Defender1-01.jpg
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/winchester/win_1300_coastal_marine.jpg
http://www.bootsandsabers.com/images/1300Defender.jpg

jeffy
1 October 2009, 17:30
OK, if I was to say... get the pump-action first;

I know the difference between the Remington 870 Police/Marine/Wingmaster to the Express but where to the Tac's call into this? There seems to be Express Tactical's and regular Tactical's.

Liljake82
1 October 2009, 19:43
I'd definatly go 870. What do you wat to do with a shotgun that a pump won't do? Here's some pics of mine.

Remington 870 Express Supermag
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/liljake82/Image006-1.jpg
This is stock and I can have it in this configuration in about 10min.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/liljake82/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0926091054a.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/liljake82/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0926091054b.jpg
Same gun in HD mode.

jeffy
1 October 2009, 23:20
I'd definatly go 870. What do you wat to do with a shotgun that a pump won't do? Here's some pics of mine.Tactical/Practical comp. maybe. Backyard clay, occasional steel target and HD. I'm thinking that a auto-loader will give me a quicker follow up shot. The GF(petite) might use it so short-stroking could be an issue. Not to mention recoil.

jeffy
6 November 2009, 14:17
Well, it's time to add some closure to this thread. I ended up buying a Benelli M2 Field 21" since that's what I really wanted. Picked it up yesterday and loving it. Now I have to start collecting Nordic parts.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NUT3v0pNW04/SvNpf69GdVI/AAAAAAAAKRI/wtQtfkXjpaA/s400/20091105-DSC_0075-75.jpg

clayart
6 November 2009, 14:42
I don't think you can beat a Remington 870 especially for the money.

jeffy
6 November 2009, 16:27
I don't think you can beat a Remington 870 especially for the money.I've moved past that. Thanks.

Cameron
6 November 2009, 18:56
FN makes a really good shotgun.

100% reliable, accurate with slugs and the fastest auto shotgun in the world....
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/gstuffnow/SX2PracticalMKII.jpg

jeffy
6 November 2009, 19:00
FN Makes a really good shotgun.

100% reliable, accurate with slugs and the fastest auto shotgun in the world....
That was a contended but I already bought a Benelli. [pop]

jungle05
6 November 2009, 22:13
Wish I could afford the FN but bought a Mossberg 930spx for half the price and love it. I had no prior experience with semi auto shotguns so to me it's a revelation. Soft shooting and the front sight is quick to acquire. It's replacing my 870.

jeffy
6 November 2009, 22:26
Wish I could afford the FN but bought a Mossberg 930spx for half the price and love it. I had no prior experience with semi auto shotguns so to me it's a revelation. Soft shooting and the front sight is quick to acquire. It's replacing my 870.
Before the craze you could buy a FN SLP MKI for under $700. Now it's around $850. Still, I think I did well by buying the Benelli.

jungle05
7 November 2009, 21:06
I wish I could afford a Benelli. In my neck of the woods the SLP goes for $1000. For now I'm happy with my bargain "knock off" 930spx. Now I just need to find some ammo. I'd been loading my 870 with reduced recoil buckshot, but would like to switch to a standard velocity #1 or #4 shot for HD. I can't seem to find much of either. I would like it buffered and the #4 plated.

jeffy
7 November 2009, 22:05
I wish I could afford a Benelli. In my neck of the woods the SLP goes for $1000. For now I'm happy with my bargain "knock off" 930spx. Now I just need to find some ammo. I'd been loading my 870 with reduced recoil buckshot, but would like to switch to a standard velocity #1 or #4 shot for HD. I can't seem to find much of either. I would like it buffered and the #4 plated.Ray Tanner (http://tannerssportcenter.com/) is selling the FN SLP MKI's for $849 plus $20 shipping last time I checked which was back in Sept.