PDA

View Full Version : competition vs reality

Topmaul
7 November 2007, 21:18
It is my feeling that practical shooting competitions are a good place to see what works and what does not with out finding out something was a bad idea the hard way. For example, I learned in competition that I need to make my front sight post a different color than my brush guards so that I don't mistake a brush guard for the front sight again. In competition it is no problem but in real life it can be unpleasent.

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=222&zenid=130ba86a5ea136d75325773ea4bf77d8 all my AKs have these I also have a set for my AR-15

If you have leaned something in competition that directly translates to the real world please post.

fogofwar
8 November 2007, 17:50
Well, maybe not competition but just from hiking around with my AR: good sling and sling mounts are essential. A little padding with rock solid mounts and PARTIAL swivels make a huge difference. Just one less thing to worry about when your brain gets a little fuzzy.

Stickman
8 November 2007, 19:19
Shooting competition is a good way to practice, but good training is a better way to lay a solid foundation. With training, competition should help hone your skills.

Just remember that most competition runs scores as more important than tactics. In real life, thats a good way to get killed.

Topmaul
9 November 2007, 03:20
If one picks small tidbits in competition they can prove very valualbe in the real thing.

Tucson
9 November 2007, 16:01
I used an orange paint marker on my front sight post. I picked it up cheap at a local hobby shop and I can use it on as many firearms as I ever have a need to.

Just another alternative available...

gotm4
16 November 2007, 04:55
"Competition, is a crucial part of the process, in the mastery of a chosen art. Its a demonstration, by the practitioner, that his path, his way in the journey of that mastery was either correct, or in need of further refinement.

Classes are fine, their purpose is to suggest the way, through the shared experience of a master. They indicate right direction, encourage discipline, and a process to practice. But in the case of arms, in the end you must take what you see, what you hear, what you read, and what you experience and turn it into your own way. It is ultimately your endeavor, and to stand in the arena before others, and demonstrate your way reveals to all and mainly yourself whether you put your faith in the truth or just a facade of smoke.

To deny yourself the opportunity to experience such an aspect of the journey is a mistake."--Anonymous

As Stickman said in so many words.........competition and training are not the same.