PDA

View Full Version : Raven Concealment Holsters

WileyCoyote
28 September 2009, 19:13
I want to get a Raven Phantom concealment holster but I am unsure which model to purchase. I have a Surefire X300 light so should I buy the Phantom LC(Light Carry) or the regular Phantom? I guess I could answer this one for myself as I dont see needing to carry my pistol with the light but on the other hand it may be worth the extra $10 to get the LC just in case. Would I be able to carry my sidearm without the light in a light carry holster? Or would it not fit right and be loose? Plus I know holsters come down to personal preference and right now I have a Blackhawk Serpa which I do not like so if anyone wants to buy it I would be happy to sell it. It is brand new in the package and it fits a Glock 19/23/32 right hand, black. I would sell it for $40 shipped. I also like the Fobus paddle holster for my Glock and looking at Safariland IWB leather holster too. Thanks in advance for you insight and opinions.

Keebsley
28 September 2009, 20:02
I would get the Phantom LC. Don't know why you wouldn't want a light on your gun if you carry it because something might go bump in the night when you are carrying and you want identification. You can't fit your pistol in a LC unless it has the light. My opinion is spend the extra $10 and call it good.

WileyCoyote
28 September 2009, 20:08
I would get the Phantom LC. Don't know why you wouldn't want a light on your gun if you carry it because something might go bump in the night when you are carrying and you want identification. You can't fit your pistol in a LC unless it has the light. My opinion is spend the extra $10 and call it good.

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah like I said I probably could have answered the question myself but wnated some opinions. Any opinion on the Fobus Evolution paddle holster? I like it! Have a few buddies who love it. Only thing is do I go with the regular evolution paddle or the rotto paddle? Thanks

WileyCoyote
28 September 2009, 20:55
When I buy the Raven Phantom LC do I have to get the IWB tuckable velcro hooks as well or does it come with the holster?

Keebsley
29 September 2009, 11:16
If I had to go with a paddle holster, I'd go Bladetech or Uncle Mike's but that's just me. Personal preference and what I use. If you want/need a cant, then go for the roto-paddle but I don't think it is that big of a deal.

As for when you buy the Phantom, it only comes with the regular belt attachments and so you will need to purchase the IWB tuckable velcro hooks.

Mike
9 June 2010, 16:58
Probably somebody knows, so I'll just give it a try and ask:

Will a 5.11 Operator belt (specified as 1 3/4 " wide) fit the Raven Concealment Phantom holsters 1.75" belt loops?

As this belt is quite thick but is my belt of choice I already had some issues with other holsters and the loops not matching.

Thanks for any input you can offer!

Optimus Prime
9 June 2010, 21:11
The regular Fobus (non-roto) have a slight butt-forward cant, which is perfect for me. No experience with the Evolutions though.

As for the first question, just like you probably figured out already, it's better to have the light and not need it than to not have it at 2am. I got a Raven holster specifically so I can carry my SigPro with the light attached. Having done force on force in the dark without a light, I can tell you it flat out sucks. (I traded fire with a "good guy" from about 6 feet. Mag dump on both our parts, zero hits all around, and I, the "bad guy," got away... that was one hell of a wake-up call.)

TehLlama
10 June 2010, 19:01
I took the 'wrong' answer.

Phantom Light... and for carrying without I'll be going with a VM-II and carry an E2E along with it in either case - I like the idea of having Kydex or Leather for IWB.

Hmac
10 June 2010, 21:48
RCS makes nice holsters, no question, but I note that they're up to 75 days lead time for a holster ordered today. As I found out when I ordered a holster I need by the end of July.

*sigh*...Serpa is looking better and better, especially at 1/2 the price and on my doorstep by Wednesday.

Optimus Prime
10 June 2010, 21:50
Serpas are great if you're not worried about a light.

Mike
11 June 2010, 04:22
...and about deep cover concealability.

I use a Serpa for concealed carry in a somewhat permissive environment. It does print a bit - at least to the trained eye - and you have to be careful to choose the right type of (over)garment to help conceal it.

I haven't tried a Phantom yet but from the looks it will be far better in the concealment department even when worn OWB and for sure while worn IWB. That's not possible with a Serpa.

Hmac
11 June 2010, 05:04
I went with a Blade Tech. My P229 doesn't have a light, doesn't even have rails. I'm not much concerned with maximum conceal ability...went with DOH drop/offset and I'll pull the DOH piece off if i need IPSC or concealability. It's only a little cheaper than the Phantom but is available right now from TGS.

Optimus Prime
11 June 2010, 08:23
Yeah... I live in Wisconsin, so concealability doesn't play a large roll in my holster selection...

Mike
11 June 2010, 09:26
Man... I'm not even trying to have a clue about your multifaceted gun laws. [:D]

National, State, local... - and for some time I really thought Germanys laws where obscure. [BD]

m24shooter
16 June 2010, 16:21
Probably somebody knows, so I'll just give it a try and ask:

Will a 5.11 Operator belt (specified as 1 3/4 " wide) fit the Raven Concealment Phantom holsters 1.75" belt loops?

As this belt is quite thick but is my belt of choice I already had some issues with other holsters and the loops not matching.

Thanks for any input you can offer!

Just make sure you order the the 1.75" loops. I carry with a Eagle belt that has the plastic reinforcements and triple stitching and also the 5.11 airport belt. No problems with either belt, although the Eagle belt is more secure.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/EDC/100_2046.jpg

alanc
1 July 2010, 15:55
I have a couple of Ravens. I carry a compact 1911 most of the time in a Phantom, love it. Have the IWB loops but no real need for them since the holster is so tight to body. Also have a Ghost for Glock which is also a favorite for that platform. Good stuff, should serve you well.

Stickman
1 July 2010, 19:52
I need to get ahold of one of these, I keep hearing good things from all the right people.

Optimus Prime
1 July 2010, 20:57
Don't know if I've mentioned it, but the mag pouch I got from them for my Sig 2022 is by far the best mag pouch I've used to date. Holds solid, but no problems removing or inserting the mag. It's a thing of beauty.

Hmac
2 July 2010, 06:09
I wanted to get one for a course I have coming up but they're 13 weeks out on shipping. Got a Bladetech instead and like it a lot, but I'll definitely want to reconsider the Raven if I ever opt to carry concealed a lot, especially IWB which seems to be Raven's long suit.